BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Non M3 related mechanical question - delete if not appropriate

Hello,
My DD is a 2011 VW Tiguan and I have an unsolved issue that I’m not able to diagnose. I posted in the VW forum but it is not well attended and I’m hardly getting any responses. Here is the issue, I wonder if anyone may have a hunch on how I can try to diagnose:

Recently, at 58,000 miles, my dealer told me I had to have my turbo replaced due to the common problem many other VW 2.0 turbo engines have experienced. As soon as the repair was done and I drove my car back, I started hearing a very bizarre droning noise when accelerating and only at around 2500 RPM under heavy load. I thought that it was a lose exhaust clamp or heat shield so I took it back to the dealer. After nearly 3 weeks, they could not find the cause. They think it is related to the Haldex transfer case, which is sending some vibration up the drive shaft which is what is making a “drone” like sound. There were no error codes. The transfer case fluid was changed last year. The car is not modified in any way. Is this a coincidence that it happened right after the turbo was replaced? Have you ever encountered such a problem? Thank you kindly in advance for your time and consideration.
Appreciate 0