BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

agreed on scaring myself shitless... When I tried LC for the first (and only) time, I basically almost passed out... sorry I'm a big fat chicken.. but this thing is a beast under LC!!

I sat in my friend's 2011 S4 and when he tried LC in his car - it was this no-drama launch... with the M3 its like a beserker charge from Gears of War!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
At the risk of sounding stupid and getting attacked...Is there launch control for 6MT and if so how do you enable it?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #25
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
At the risk of sounding stupid and getting attacked...Is there launch control for 6MT and if so how do you enable it?
No.
I rest my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #26
blittle887
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yeah, it's called your left foot. don't get mad, I drive a 6mt as well.
      03-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #27
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Yes. It's only available on ZCP 6MT's, and requires a ECU flash. *everybody shhhhhhh*
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #28
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Yes, you are correct, but I don't use my M button for that, and I don't think most people do. If you choose to use your M button for that, then that's fine. I just think when it comes to explaining how LC works and what needs to be done to make it work, it is simpler to keep the M button out of it.
I'm starting to think that this whole LC sequence is actually a pre launch IQ test. If you can't pass it, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
I'm kidding... a little.
Okay, got ya... I like those settings for the M, but thought maybe for some reason that would disable the launch procedure after being pushed.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #29
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Okay, got ya... I like those settings for the M, but thought maybe for some reason that would disable the launch procedure after being pushed.
If I set my M button up for LC, (DSC to off and DCT to S6) then I would no longer have access to MDM. Using the M button is the only way to access MDM, so I don't want to use it to turn DSC off. I put it in MDM a lot, but very, very rarely use LC. Setting it up for LC would save me exactly 1 step, which isn't worth losing MDM to me. That's just me. Doing it your way works too.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:05 AM   #30
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

With LC, the car will hit the rev limiter in 1st gear for a split second before it automatically shifts. Using the cruise control lever, you can vary the launch rpm by plus or minus 500 rpms. Normal take-off, I believe, is around 5500 rpms, so you can set the launch between 5000 and 6000 rpms.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #31
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
If I set my M button up for LC, (DSC to off and DCT to S6) then I would no longer have access to MDM. Using the M button is the only way to access MDM, so I don't want to use it to turn DSC off. I put it in MDM a lot, but very, very rarely use LC. Setting it up for LC would save me exactly 1 step, which isn't worth losing MDM to me. That's just me. Doing it your way works too.
Ha I guess you're right, not much of a difference. I haven't used my M button, nor MDM much... originally I had set it to MDM, but then redid it do DSC off so I could have S6. Could you explain briefly why you like the MDM mode so much?
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #32
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No.... instead of berating you, I'll just answer the question. The launch control in the DCT is basically a way of replicating revving the engine and dropping the clutch in the 6mt car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #33
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Ha I guess you're right, not much of a difference. I haven't used my M button, nor MDM much... originally I had set it to MDM, but then redid it do DSC off so I could have S6. Could you explain briefly why you like the MDM mode so much?
Car is a daily driver and most of the time for normal driving and with normal traffic (Idiots to the left of me, morons to the right) I prefer to leave DSC in normal. It's a fantastic safety feature that too many people take for granted. I'm mostly worried about other people doing something stupid, but I'm not too full of myself to know that I'm not incapable of making a mistake someday, and either way, DSC could save my ass. When I do decide to drive a little more aggressively (happens several times a week) or am on the track, I give the M button a push and DSC goes to M Dynamic Mode. It still provides a little bit of a safety net but intervenes a little less than normal mode. Normal mode can be pretty intrusive. If you accelerate briskly from a stop and get so much as a little chirp, it really kills your throttle. MDM is less intrusive and lets the tires spin a little more and lets you get just a little sideways if you want to before it intervenes, and when it does intervene, it does it to a lesser degree and for a shorter time. Turning DSC off completely on a routine basis just seems foolish to me. I do sometimes, but for specific reasons: If I'm at the track or some other semi-controlled environment like if I feel the need to spin her up in a big empty parking lot. Or if I want to do LC.
I'm not doing a whole lot of stop light drag racing (like, none) so aggressive starts in MDM work fine for me. LC seems mostly a novelty to show off to friends when they want you to take them for a ride.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 03-09-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0