BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #89
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

UPDATE...

So the ride is great out on the street on my daily drive, and I see some really rough roads. Its smooth but still slightly firm, but not harsh at all and its soaks up the big bumps with ease. For those that want a slightly better daily ride, go a bit softer then 500/800 combo Im using.

Im still getting noise out of the front driver shock, not getting worse though, no impact on performance.

Even at the soft shock settings, the car exhibits amazing control.

My track day this Sunday seems like its going to be a wet event unfortunately.
      03-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #90
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER
UPDATE...

So the ride is great out on the street on my daily drive, and I see some really rough roads. Its smooth but still slightly firm, but not harsh at all and its soaks up the big bumps with ease. For those that want a slightly better daily ride, go a bit softer then 500/800 combo Im using.

Im still getting noise out of the front driver shock, not getting worse though, no impact on performance.

Rain sucks, but am sure fun will be had nonetheless, enjoy
      03-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #91
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
UPDATE...

Thanks for the update. The RS1 sounds like it has a great range of adjustment as well as the ability to absorb impacts if 500/800 spring rates are very tolerable on really bad roads!

As for rain, are you able to adjust the pressure in the internal reservoir on the RS1's? I know on my old Moton CS if I bled out all of the external can pressure it would greatly improve wet grip, even before making any adjustments to damper setting. Have fun and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #92
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Thanks for the update. The RS1 sounds like it has a great range of adjustment as well as the ability to absorb impacts if 500/800 spring rates are very tolerable on really bad roads!

As for rain, are you able to adjust the pressure in the internal reservoir on the RS1's? I know on my old Moton CS if I bled out all of the external can pressure it would greatly improve wet grip, even before making any adjustments to damper setting. Have fun and be safe!
Pressures are all present from JRZ. The canister is actually located in the shock housing at the bottom I believe. Sign actually says do not open, LOL.

I will leave them on my street settings if its a wet event.
      03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #93
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Pressures are all present from JRZ. The canister is actually located in the shock housing at the bottom I believe. Sign actually says do not open, LOL.

I will leave them on my street settings if its a wet event.
I know it's internal to the damper but from the pictures I've seen of the RS1 there appears to be a valve (with a cap) on the bottom that would allow the nitrogen pressure to be adjusted? The warning label is for the large cap sealing the bottom of the damper.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #94
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

My track day on April 1st was wet and extremely cold,non fact we had some snow out there in the morning, temps never got passed 5C. My RS-3s could not get up to temp and with the track being very damp, I had zero grip.
So I cannot comment on the RS1s track performance just yet unfortunately. Hopefully have another event in a few weeks.
      05-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #95
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Replacement shocks should be here early next week. Bimmerworld has been very helpful in getting replacements sent to me, big thanks to them.

The coils have been great on my daily commute so far with 500/800 spring set up, much better daily ride then my KW CS kit.
      05-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #96
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Replacement shocks should be here early next week. Bimmerworld has been very helpful in getting replacements sent to me, big thanks to them.

The coils have been great on my daily commute so far with 500/800 spring set up, much better daily ride then my KW CS kit.
awesome to hear. How is the general NVH?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #97
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Glad to hear you are liking the 500/800 lb/in rates on the street

Is JRZ/BW sending four new dampers?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #98
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
awesome to hear. How is the general NVH?
No real increase in NVH. I am using GC street plates.
      05-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #99
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Glad to hear you are liking the 500/800 lb/in rates on the street

Is JRZ/BW sending four new dampers?
Yup, four brand new units.
Good service from both BW and JRZ.
      05-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #100
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #101
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Did they ever find the issue causing the noise?
      05-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #102
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Did they ever find the issue causing the noise?
I believe it was the shim stacks. They did another round of R&D with the fix and everything is good to go.

Also, one more thing that I really like about the RS1 damper, is that you can actually easily feel the "clicks" between shock settings. No guessing, The knob fully engages on each adjustment, so no guessing where you are. Much better then on my previous KW and Moton set ups.

Last edited by STALKER; 05-03-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #103
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
When will these be up on your site?

Basically, these shocks will make a small amount of noise even during street use?
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #104
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
When will these be up on your site?

Basically, these shocks will make a small amount of noise even during street use?
The increase in noise is not noticeable most of the time, in fact the NVH is very minimal.
      05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #105
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
lol...I understand. I just bought some TC Kline double adjustables for my E46...how much of an upgrade are these over the TCKs?
I had GC DA set up on my E46 M3 with 525/545 springs. The JRZs are far superior. They feel very different both when running them soft and stiff. Different cars, so not a very good comparison. The JRZ feel much more "fluid", it's somewhat hard to describe.

The slow speed damping is much better on these then other shocks I have used, do a great job over sharp impacts at lower speeds.

Last edited by STALKER; 05-08-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #106
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Stalker, glad to hear that you have finally landed a set of coilovers that you are happy with. James and BW stand by their products and offer great support. They won me as a life long customer even though the motons didn't work out.
Get to the track ASAP and report back!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #107
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Just thought I'd chime in here - I have ordered VAC's JRZ RS1 kit including AC Schnitzer springs and Ground Control camber plates. VAC was able to special order them for me to accommodate the M3-style rear camber link (which I have but haven't installed since they don't work with stock 335 shocks). I am not sure what the spring rates are; they should lower the car 1.2" from stock M sport suspension ride height. I did not opt for the any height adjustability on the RS1s.

I was looking for a single adjustable, very high quality damper. I was between the JRZs and some Nitron NTR R1s, which look great but there's just not enough feedback on 'em and VAC has been using JRZ for many years on their race cars. JRZ came highly recommended! I inspected them at the shop and they're very high quality indeed. Beautiful workmanship.

I'll be adding them to my Quaife LSD, full M3 susp (OEM M3 front control arms/tension struts, strut tower brace, front/rear sway bars, rear subframe bushings, rear guide rods and wishbones), Rogue rear toe arms, and adjustable sway bar end-links.

I have tracked my car stock, then with all the mods listed above, and will track again with the JRZ kit very soon after it's installed. I am hoping to have them installed in about two weeks from now and hit the track the week after. VERY excited!
      06-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #108
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Best dual set up I have had on this car by a long shot.

Street.
I and running 500/800 Hypercoil springs and the street ride is great. It is firm, but there is no harshness in the suspension at all. The shocks truly do absorb the bumps instead of just trying to go over them compared to other set ups I have had on the M3. I live in downtown Toronto, and the streets here are very poor. Cracked pavement, large expansion joints, street car tracks, pot holes...you name it we got it. You know the bumps are there, the car does not mask them, but it deals with them all very well and does not translate the harshness or the impact to the passengers. When Im running on my 19" street set up, the ride is actually very nice, freeway cruising is a joy with these. They have a better street ride then my Moton SS and KW CS kits.

Track.
Now I have only had one proper track day on them, the last event I was ill, and the event before that was very cold and my tires could not get up to temp.
I went to a yearly event held by a friend of mine at Shannonville Raceway. Its a mix of low speed and medium speed corners with two straights, can hit about 195KM on the back straight. There is one high speed corner and nice double apex that you can carry some good speed through. The surface is rough, and its a mix of mostly asphalt with some concrete patches I think.
Initially I had the shocks set up at 10/8 clicks from full soft, there are 22 in total. I am only running -1.8 camber up front, but hoping to get the resolved and dial in some more for my next event at Watkins Glen in 2 weeks. Initially the car was a bit slow to react, or slower then I like and I was getting a bit of mid to late corner oversteer, but very progressive, not scary at all. The rear would squat properly when I caught on the power, set and roll, but then on some corners it would slide a bit more then I thought was acceptable compared to the my other set ups when I get on the power. I pumped it up to 12/10, it got a better....then I emailed James@BW from the track and he gave me a few suggestions and we pumped it up to 14/12. I tried a few other combos too, but for this particular track 14/12 worked great. The car was extremely stable, not harsh at all, the surface here is not smooth and like to use the curbing. it still had a touch of mid corner over steer, but much better and it was easily controlled with proper throttle control.
Im really impressed how the car is stiff, but yet remained to so compliant over the bumps on the track and it never never got unsettled, even when I was being a bit dump with it. I think if I tracked more, I could properly even go with a stiffer set up.

Im going to change up the alignment settings a bit to try to get a more positive turn in with more camber. Hopefully my shop can figure out why its only letting me dial in -1.8, Im running GC plates.

Also, its great how Bimmerworld stands behind what they sell. The shocks were getting noisy, BW sent me new ones, they provided me real time assistance at the track, and I will continue to use them for these reason.

If you have any questions about the RS1s or my setup, please feel free to ask me.

If there are any grammar or spelling mistakes, I apologize, I wrote this on my iPad in the car rather quickly(no I'm not driving), LOL.
      06-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #109
Mike@R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Thanks for the update.

We've got an RS1 setup with the same spring rates for one of our shop cars on the way now. James, Bryan and the crew at Bimmerworld have been very helpful in getting us exactly what we need to transition from the current setup over to the RS1's.

I'm happy to hear your results and look forward to getting these on our car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #110
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@RimierMotorSport View Post
Thanks for the update.

We've got an RS1 setup with the same spring rates for one of our shop cars on the way now. James, Bryan and the crew at Bimmerworld have been very helpful in getting us exactly what we need to transition from the current setup over to the RS1's.

I'm happy to hear your results and look forward to getting these on our car.
I'm sure you will be happy with them. We should compare set up notes when you guys are done setting them up.