BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

11-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Front Window Gasket Help

Hi all- I have searched all over this forum and the web to find answer to this question, but I have had no luck so here I am asking for your help. I have two window gaskets that I need to install (Part #51767157531 and #51767157532). My car did not have these gaskets at purchase (got a nice discount for the parts not being there) and this results in the windows violently shaking and hitting the window trim when at speed. The issue only occurs when going 80+, but still, I would like to be able to drive at those speeds without the window feeling like it will shatter.

Has anyone ever installed these parts, or if not, think of the best way to install these? I am assume there may be an adhesive used to attach the gasket to the trim, but similarly I have not seen information on this anywhere. Thank you for any input you can provide! I will add pictures later today of what the window trim looks like in its current form.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I just replaced these parts recently.

Step 1: Remove the window trim, see this video for a good example.

Step 2: Created a soapy water solution and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the rubber moldings and the window trim liberally.

Step 3: Slide the thin edge of the molding into the window trim starting at the long end of the trim and slowly pull it towards the curved end. You may need to remove and re-lubricate the parts several times to accomplish this. Install the larger molding first and the shorter molding second to make it easier.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
JBird..
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I just replaced these parts recently.

Step 1: Remove the window trim, see this video for a good example.

Step 2: Created a soapy water solution and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the rubber moldings and the window trim liberally.

Step 3: Slide the thin edge of the molding into the window trim starting at the long end of the trim and slowly pull it towards the curved end. You may need to remove and re-lubricate the parts several times to accomplish this. Install the larger molding first and the shorter molding second to make it easier.
Thanks a lot for your reply. You referenced two 'moldings.' I only have the two upper gaskets, so one for each side, that I referenced in my original post. Based on looking at pictures and videos I have seen the gasket should attach or adhere to the window trim in some way. Sounds like I might be missing a piece I will have to post some pics later.

Last edited by JBird..; 11-16-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0