BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

BPM

06-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
heartcolorgrey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP AW/Speed Cloth

LEO profiling of m3.

Some may say this is common sense, but I have noticed that LEO's tend to single me out much more now with the M.

About 2 weeks ago coming home from williamsburg, I was detained at 3 DUI checkpoints for 15 + minutes with no explanation (under the BQE, the transition to LIE, and Clearview and northern). Each time they checked for sobriety, saw that I had ZERO alcohol in me, then proceeded to take my regis/license and tell me to pull off and wait. I was so pissed by the time I got home.

Last night on the clearview I was doing 52 (I know not to mess with the clearview), and a highway patrol car pulls out behind me from a speed trap (we all know where it is if you live here), almost rear ends me cause his lights are off, rides like 2 feet away from me and follows coming off the exit, still no sirens on.
I'm approaching a green light going yellow and make the decision to not take the turn.
At the stop, I hear the patrol car almost hit me and he swerved out last minute to the passenger side to avoid an accident.
He looked at me quickly and blew right through the stop light, making a hard right from the middle lane.

Has anyone else noticed the increased attention?

I have alot of friends on the job and they all swear no, just show the PBA and be polite, which I do.

I don't consider myself a stupid driver, I'll open it up on an empty road for a few seconds to hear the s65, but I dont cut people off, swing the rear out on public roads etc...

What gives?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I've seen police follow people very closely behind without lights to see if you'll speed up. If you do, they'll pull you over for speeding.
      06-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I've seen police follow people very closely behind without lights to see if you'll speed up. If you do, they'll pull you over for speeding.
That's when you need to start slowing down and "accidentally" hit the brakes.

"OOps Occifer, you should have not followed so closely, dont you know the follwoing distance is three car lengths? I saw something on the road and hit the brakes to avoid it."
      06-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

i dont drive the m much to notice but i would avoid the spots that are known to have checkpoints especially at night,

also tint i feel like is the number issue around where i live
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

yea i get pulled over often!!! not for speeding but a random check. Once i was coming home late and out of the blue a under cover dt turns lights on. I act normal put all my windows down. First thing he says is please step out of the car. I was in shock so i said why? he then says it again so i do. Him and his partner flash both their lights in my face blindling me. So i ask what gives whats the problem. Apparently someone called saying there is a drug dealer in a black car around the area. My e90 happen to be black fml!!!!. so after keeping me there for 25 MINS!!!! they see i am clean.. so instead they give me a ticket for my dark TINTS!!!!! WTF!!!!!! i went to fight the ticket with a lawyer and won i hate PIGS!!!!

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
That's when you need to start slowing down and "accidentally" hit the brakes.

"OOps Occifer, you should have not followed so closely, dont you know the follwoing distance is three car lengths? I saw something on the road and hit the brakes to avoid it."
I might like that idea in a beater, definitely not my M
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
heartcolorgrey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 ZCP AW/Speed Cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCM3ryder View Post
yea i get pulled over often!!! not for speeding but a random check.
Yup. I dont get it though, its not like were driving lambos or GT3s.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
ferrari6891
the original brown guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MBB/SO X5M Comp

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartcolorgrey View Post
Some may say this is common sense, but I have noticed that LEO's tend to single me out much more now with the M.

About 2 weeks ago coming home from williamsburg, I was detained at 3 DUI checkpoints for 15 + minutes with no explanation (under the BQE, the transition to LIE, and Clearview and northern). Each time they checked for sobriety, saw that I had ZERO alcohol in me, then proceeded to take my regis/license and tell me to pull off and wait. I was so pissed by the time I got home.

Last night on the clearview I was doing 52 (I know not to mess with the clearview), and a highway patrol car pulls out behind me from a speed trap (we all know where it is if you live here), almost rear ends me cause his lights are off, rides like 2 feet away from me and follows coming off the exit, still no sirens on.
I'm approaching a green light going yellow and make the decision to not take the turn.
At the stop, I hear the patrol car almost hit me and he swerved out last minute to the passenger side to avoid an accident.
He looked at me quickly and blew right through the stop light, making a hard right from the middle lane.

Has anyone else noticed the increased attention?

I have alot of friends on the job and they all swear no, just show the PBA and be polite, which I do.

I don't consider myself a stupid driver, I'll open it up on an empty road for a few seconds to hear the s65, but I dont cut people off, swing the rear out on public roads etc...

What gives?

I got pulled over 14 times in the month of April 2012 for not having a front license plate, while my sister and her f10 with no front plate have been pulled over 0 times. I've heard stupid excuses like "you clipped the center line" or "your rear license plate bracket is obstructive" (I got the M license plate cover from the dealership). They'll find any reason to pull you over.
2011 E90 ///M3 AW/FR
2008 E92 ///M3 IB/BLK
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Got pulled over twice in one year. When I had my Mustang, in all the 7 years, not once did I get pulled over. My driving habits didn't change at all when I got in th M3. I drive like a 90 year old on NYC highways now. Definitely watchout on the whitestone/van wyck expwy after you come off the bridge (right after the 20th Ave exit), there's almost always a cop waiting for you. Got pulled for doing 10mph over the speed limit. Meanwhile, people were passing me in the middle lane, but yet they pulled me over. Be careful out there.

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0