BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

04-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
M91-30
Registered
Rep
Drives: saturn ion

alcantara questions

I do not have a BMW yet (give me a few years), but I noticed some BMWs come with alcantara and I am looking at using this material in my custom interior for my car. I am wondering what I can use to clean it (besides lemon juice, ethyl alcohol, or water), how durable how this cloth proven for you (I'm particularly interested in resistance to dogs claws and water since I live up north where snow is a way of life)?

thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
M91-30
Registered
Rep

you guys aren't shunning me because I don't own a BMW, are you? I learned to drive stick in and drove all around Bavaria in a 1986 BMW 325e if that breaks the ice a little better? do I ever miss the I6 engine and RWD... the 5 speed getrag in it was a little tricky, though, 1st and 3rd was so close together.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

I don't think they're shunning you, I just think no one has a good answer for you. I have seen some nasty ass rank alcantara components in other people's car, so I can't say that they really take good care of their alcantara. As for me, I JUST got my BMW Performance steering wheel, so I don't know shit about alcantara care. I don't think I've seen an alcantara interior to the level that you're talking about on M3post, so that's probably why no one has a response for you.

By the way, thanks for the advice. Lemon juice to clean alcantara? Who'da thunk it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
wheelman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 MT

I used palmolive dish detergent to clean the steering wheel on my 330i ZHP. And after four years of daily driving, I'd say it was in 9.5 out of 10 condition. I was also very careful not to drive my car with dirty hands.
I can't comment on how well it will hold up to dog claws, however.
      04-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
M91-30
Registered
Rep

not necessarily on here, but on other forums I have been shunned for not having the car, so it's not personal.

I also thought something affordable enough to justify doing to a saturn (albeit a nice one) would have been done on, if not an option on an M3.

here's the best one stop source I've found so far

http://www.alcantara.com/en/experien...anuale_eng.pdf

that doesn't tell about what commercial cleaners are good for it or how durable it is, though.

from what (little) I've read online from M5s and manufacturer info, it is overall durable, and machine washable (but don't get it wet), but not good for bolsters or steering wheels, I mostly just need to know about dog claw resistance.

any help is appreciated.

Last edited by M91-30; 04-21-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

I usually vacuum a few times a month with a brush adapter.

When it's time to recondition it I use a nubuck eraser to separate and lift the fibers, a solution of 4:1 water to Woolite combined with a very soft bristled toothbrush to clean the Alcantara, blot it dry with microfiber, and then revacuum with the brush adapter to rejuvenate the material.

It works pretty well, I have a shift knob on my ZHP that still looks new even though its been on the car for a year.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0