BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

12-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

Delayed Break In Service - Help

Hey guys,

two part question, I saw that there was a red triangle indicator on my engine oil category under the vehicle info. I thought the car was low on engine oil so I proceeded to top up the car with the 10w-60 oil that was given to me by my dealership. I used up the whole bottle, started up the car, and now it mentions that my oil level is too high. I know, newbie mistake, I will plan on taking this back to the dealership and have them drain it completely. My question is, will this hurt the engine too much being that it's overfilled? I don't plan on driving anywhere with it and will bring it into service as soon as possible but will this cause any damages?

Second question, I only bought this car the other day and it only has ~3300km's (2050miles) and I forgot to ask to see the maintenance record for this car being the milage was so low. Reading the m3 forums I didn't realize there is a break-in service schedule that is suppose to happen after the first 1200 miles or 2000km. My question is, if they forgot to perform this break-in service at 2000km, will this cause any major damages to the engine or anything major down the road? I plan on confirming all of this with my SA but wanted to see what you guys thought. As well, the engine oil status on my car is currently a red triangle indicating that service is overdue since 1400km. Would this be related to the break-in service?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Depends on how overfull it is. You can siphon some oil out of the oil filter housing.
      01-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30 View Post
Hey guys,

two part question, I saw that there was a red triangle indicator on my engine oil category under the vehicle info. I thought the car was low on engine oil so I proceeded to top up the car with the 10w-60 oil that was given to me by my dealership. I used up the whole bottle, started up the car, and now it mentions that my oil level is too high. I know, newbie mistake, I will plan on taking this back to the dealership and have them drain it completely. My question is, will this hurt the engine too much being that it's overfilled? I don't plan on driving anywhere with it and will bring it into service as soon as possible but will this cause any damages?

Second question, I only bought this car the other day and it only has ~3300km's (2050miles) and I forgot to ask to see the maintenance record for this car being the milage was so low. Reading the m3 forums I didn't realize there is a break-in service schedule that is suppose to happen after the first 1200 miles or 2000km. My question is, if they forgot to perform this break-in service at 2000km, will this cause any major damages to the engine or anything major down the road? I plan on confirming all of this with my SA but wanted to see what you guys thought. As well, the engine oil status on my car is currently a red triangle indicating that service is overdue since 1400km. Would this be related to the break-in service?

Thanks guys!
Get the service done ASAP. Make sure the dealer adds 8.5-8.8L of Castrol 10W60.
Appreciate 0