BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

09-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #67
val_lixembeau
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
hey all I appreciate the responses, but you guys are commenting like I should splurge a few $1000 or a manual car will just be provided to me.

I literally just want to check a box and have some basic manual driving skills.
Wait, so you can't spend even $1000 on a beater (which you would get back when you re-sell the car after learning manual), but you think your friends should trust that you could pay to replace a burned out clutch?

The way I learned was I went to a BMW dealership and wanted to try a 135 (back when they were new). The sales guy asked if I knew how to drive a manual. I said "Nope, but I've read about it on the internet". And then we went out for a drive. I stalled a few times, but we stuck to less trafficked roads so it was ok.

I eventually bought my own car (Acura RSX-S) and had the seller drop it off at my house. I drove it around at night for a week and practiced hill starts at a parking garage near my house.

I would say for most people it goes like this:

Day 1 - get the car moving from a stop, shift once up to speed
Week 1 - get smoother, build confidence on hills, good enough to drive in light traffic
Month 1 - rev match downshifts, few jerks on upshifts, stop sweating at stop lights
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #68
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91

Garage List
I'm sure you can find a manual car to rent here: https://turo.com/
Appreciate 1
xQx452.00

09-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #69
MarkDemma
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm sure you can find a manual car to rent here: https://turo.com/
I rented a M4 convertible not too long ago that had a manual. The owner practically made me send a signed affidavit that I could drive manual and basically wanted to see me actually able to pull it out of the parking spot before I left.

I would imagine most other owners that were renting out their cars would also want to ensure the renter could actually drive a manual before letting them take off with the car as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #70
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I rented a M4 convertible not too long ago that had a manual. The owner practically made me send a signed affidavit that I could drive manual and basically wanted to see me actually able to pull it out of the parking spot before I left.

I would imagine most other owners that were renting out their cars would also want to ensure the renter could actually drive a manual before letting them take off with the car as well.
Yeah, but not all cars on Turo are M4's. There are plenty of regular cars with manual gearboxes for rent. If you get something less prestigious, you're likely to have a less anal owner.

Also, if you're going down the Turo route, I'd recommend getting a close friend rent the car so they are the one to pick it up and drop it off - and not bunny-hop it out of the driveway.
2008 BMW 135i Convertible 6AT (E88 N54) M Sport (BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Intercooler, VRSF CP, VRSF v2 DP, Turbosmart BOV, JB4 w/ Bluetooth Gauges, BMS E85 BEF, SmartTop Module, xHP Stage 3, BMS Cowl Filters, RB Inlets & Outlets, MFactory 1.5way LSD, Fuel-it Stage 2+ Bucketless)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #71
Velox335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
How can I learn to drive manual?

I have friends with newer model manual performance cars, but they seem to believe I will destroy their cars attempting to even learn basics on them even after I offered to pay maintenance or any damage.

My family has always just owned automatic cars. I feel like I need to attempt to drive a manual even if it is just once for a weekend to check a car enthusiast box.

What are some legit ways or places to learn to drive one?
Look up manual driving lessons in your area
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #72
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Stupid question.... Isn't it pretty standard for driving instructors to be driving manual cars?

I know I'm old, but surely the world hasn't moved to the level of stupidity where it's _expected_ that people get their license in an automatic vehicle?!

Can't you just call your nearest driving instructor (the guy you call when you're a teenager and looking to get your license) and book a 1 hour lesson in a manual car?
2008 BMW 135i Convertible 6AT (E88 N54) M Sport (BMS DCI, VRSF 7" Intercooler, VRSF CP, VRSF v2 DP, Turbosmart BOV, JB4 w/ Bluetooth Gauges, BMS E85 BEF, SmartTop Module, xHP Stage 3, BMS Cowl Filters, RB Inlets & Outlets, MFactory 1.5way LSD, Fuel-it Stage 2+ Bucketless)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #73
Poiseuille
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

OP, where in PA are you?

Edit: you can PM me with that if you want
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #74
JamesNoBrakes
Major
Rep
Drives: 428i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Stupid question.... Isn't it pretty standard for driving instructors to be driving manual cars?

I know I'm old, but surely the world hasn't moved to the level of stupidity where it's _expected_ that people get their license in an automatic vehicle?!

Can't you just call your nearest driving instructor (the guy you call when you're a teenager and looking to get your license) and book a 1 hour lesson in a manual car?
Yes, it's moved to the point where manuals are rare and almost non-existent. Go to a dealer and find a manual, there are usually none and any offering is usually a special order. The world has moved on. The driving schools I've seen have automatics these days. Even though I drive a manual and like it, the cross section of cars that are "better" with a manual is getting narrower and narrower. As cars are putting down more and more power and transmissions are getting smarter and smarter, there's little point.

09-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #75
jkoral
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

It is not standard in the US. I'm located outside Boston and the area driving schools (for teenagers/new drivers) do not offer manual cars.

(That said, in Massachusetts you have to take your driving test on a car with a center emergency brake, so that alone rules out many cars. For my daughter, we paid $100 to use one of the driving school cars for the test which were stripper/econobox hatchbacks).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #76
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
A few years ago my daughter was looking for her first car and found a manual Mazda 3 manual. She'd just gotten her license and loved the car so she watched a couple YouTube videos and bought the car and drove it home. After five years she still drives it and didn't desrptroy the car
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #77
m3jala
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

I think this thread is a candidate for the 'ol popcorn icon. OP, right foot down, left foot up. Let us know how she rolls.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #78
joooiiiiii
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Your friends suck--I would teach you how to drive manual. It's definitely not that hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #79
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife's car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
Your friends suck--I would teach you how to drive manual. It's definitely not that hard.
That's really the only response this thread needed.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #80
joooiiiiii
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
That's really the only response this thread needed.
right??
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #81
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Here are the steps I would take:

1) Save up $500
2) Look on Kijiji for a beat up car for $500, I found a mk2 jetta for $600 and that is my daily as it was a hidden gem that I got lucky with
3) Drive it home and you will learn very quickly to deal with stress and embarrassment
4) Keep practicing as it wont be easy but you need to just deal with the 1-2 months of stress and then it will become second nature to you
5) if that fails, repeat steps 1-4 again and again
      09-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #82
seis-speed
#savethemanual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | F80 | FFRS

OP this won’t be something you do to just check a box. You will probably fall in love with it and get a manual transmission car. I could go on about this all day long.... This past Summer I was able to track some of the best cars on the planet. At a particular Porsche driving event in LA, I was able to drive the Cayman they had in 6MT on a track after driving the very best Pcars previously in the day. And In five minutes I had more fun in that car than the previous 5 hours in the automatic exotics and higher end P cars. I do not understand the appeal to automatics at all, besides lap times and the old “my wife can drive it too” they are lifeless and boring, I would rather have a lesser car in manual than the very best in paddles. Extreme possibly, but that is my experience, JMO of course. . GL in this venture and and don’t be deterred.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #83
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Learned on the way home from the dealer. 99M3 vert I bought back in like 2001 I think. Only stalled twice, the rest is history
      09-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #84
stevenvillatoro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Unless I mis-tallied, the OP posted just a single reply, and it was on the same date as his original post... more than a week ago.

He likely wrecked somebody's Turomobile, and is now suffering bad karma with a broken forum typing hand. Either that, or a chronic case of topic apathy.

2018 M240i Coupe
Appreciate 0