BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #89
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
The dispenser that comes with the kit is an absolute joke and a sure way to make a mess. I recommend getting a properly sized syringe (without the needle, of course) and putting the Betalink in that. You can then apply a small bead of glue with good precision and control, and most importantly, without making an absolute mess. The kit also comes with a spreading tool to spread the glue over the contact surface. You put the glue only on the spoiler. Once you get a good bond, work quickly with the solvent to clean up any excess that squeezes out.
for the clean up did you use what came with the kit or something different? also should while the glue is curing over the 24-48 hour process should I tape the spoiler with some blue painters tape or anything so it doesn't shift any?
Also at the risk of asking the dumbest question of all time, do I put the beta link along the entire lip of the spoiler? I'm assuming yes, but I don't want to get anything wrong with this since there is no going back once the beta link is on there
      08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #90
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch View Post
for the clean up did you use what came with the kit or something different? also should while the glue is curing over the 24-48 hour process should I tape the spoiler with some blue painters tape or anything so it doesn't shift any?
Yes, I used the betalink cleaner that was included in the kit. I cut an old white t-shirt into small ~3X3" pieces so that I would not use all of the cleaner up. You can also control the cleanup better. I recommend you wear disposeable goves while using these chemicals as well (get ones that are chemical resistant).

I taped (painter's tape) my lip down very carefully so that it would not move. After doing it, I saw another thread where the OP used a set of small clamps to hold the ends of the spoiler down. I wish I had seen that before because the spoiler has a little curvature to it which causes the opposite ends to not rest completely flat on the trunk; tape was not strong enough to hold it down. Not a big deal but would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Quote:
Also at the risk of asking the dumbest question of all time, do I put the beta link along the entire lip of the spoiler? I'm assuming yes, but I don't want to get anything wrong with this since there is no going back once the beta link is on there
It's better to ask a question and be informed than to not ask it and make a mistake because of an incorrect assumption.

I put the betalink all the way around. I recall that the mounting surface of the lip goes all the way around and I just followed that area. My thought was that if you did not seal the entire area, water could get in there and have a tough time finding its way out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #91
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome man, thanks for the tips! And that's good to know about the clips I would have never thought of that. Do you remember did they just leave the trunk open while the glue set since they were using clips on the end?
      08-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #92
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome man, thanks for the tips! And that's good to know about the clips I would have never thought of that. Do you remember did they just leave the trunk open while the glue set since they were using clips on the end?
I recall that the clamps were spring clamps but don't recall how they positioned the trunk. I would wrap two semi rigid foam blocks in a towel and place them between the trunk and the quarter panels so as to keep the trunk from fully closing, and leaving enough gap to use the clamps without touching the quarter panels.

You should do a few dry runs to make sure you're familiar with how the lip goes on the trunk and to get your steps down before using the betalink. Keep in mind that once you put the tape and clamps on you won't be able to clean up under those areas. I held the spoiler in place by hand, did all my cleanup, and then used the tape to keep it in place. After 24 hours, the betalink solvent will still work to clean up small areas as needed but it will be much tougher than before the adhesive cures.

When you apply the glue, keep the bead of glue in the middle of the gluing surface (~1/8" or so from the outside edge of the spoiler, i.e., the visible edge). That way, when you do apply it to the trunk, you'll have less squeeze out and more of the lip will have adhesive on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #93
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I installed the spoiler right around 24 hours ago and I just went and removed the tape and there is still some wiggle to it when I press down the spoiler. Is that normal? I assumed that it would be rock sold with using beta link, I'm getting kinda worried that I might not have gotten a good a bond to the paint for some reason.
      08-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #94
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2011 ZCP

With Beta Link the Spoiler is rock Solid.
You applied only a thin layer right?
This is not silicone. You just need only a thin layer between the spoiler and trunk.

When I installed mine I cleaned with alcohol the trunk and also the solven it brought. Also the spoiler I cleaned it with solvent, alcohol and also sand it the inside so the beta link had better grip.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #95
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTek View Post
With Beta Link the Spoiler is rock Solid.
You applied only a thin layer right?
This is not silicone. You just need only a thin layer between the spoiler and trunk.

When I installed mine I cleaned with alcohol the trunk and also the solven it brought. Also the spoiler I cleaned it with solvent, alcohol and also sand it the inside so the beta link had better grip.
yes I applied just a tiny amount, I used a syringe to apply a then bead along the edge. I was the truck with dish soap to strip any wax, then let it completely dry, I followed that up by wiping it with the beta link solvent. I didn't clean the spoiler with anything prior to apply the beta link, but I did give the area a slight sanding to roughen it up a bit with the sand paper provided in the kit. The main areas that I notice it being loose are on the corners. I tried to clip it, but all the clips I used wouldn't work so I just applied tape and taped it down as tight as I could.
      08-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #96
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just had it down with painters tape I'm a overnight and that was it. I also never tried to move it like in 48 hours. Then it was rock solid.
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #97
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Don't touch it for the next 24 hours. Take the tapes out and check it. If still moving, go to a body shop.
- Upgrades:MS Stage 2 Intake + Turner Test Pipes + BPM Stage 2 Tune with Coding; Fox Red Novillo/Carbon Leather/Competition Package/Premium Package 2/Convenience Package /Enhanced Premium Sound/Satelite Radio
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #98
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
The dispenser that comes with the kit is an absolute joke and a sure way to make a mess. I recommend getting a properly sized syringe (without the needle, of course) and putting the Betalink in that. You can then apply a small bead of glue with good precision and control, and most importantly, without making an absolute mess. The kit also comes with a spreading tool to spread the glue over the contact surface. You put the glue only on the spoiler. Once you get a good bond, work quickly with the solvent to clean up any excess that squeezes out.
Great idea for using the syringe

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #99
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Did the install this weekend using this guide and it turned out perfect. Hardest part was removing all the adhesive left over from the OEM spoiler. Heating it up with a hairdryer and scraping a big ball of it off with a plastic razor blade followed by 3M adhesive remover to get the remains worked well for me. Also, do a dry fitting and tape up the edges of the performance spoiler and trunk with painter's tape. Makes it easy to line up and catches a lot of the betalink.
Thanks, great tips

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #100
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Also, do a dry fitting and tape up the edges of the performance spoiler and trunk with painter's tape. Makes it easy to line up and catches a lot of the betalink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post

I then taped both spoiler and surrounding painted areas with frog tape and used a nice thin bead of the betalink after sanding the spoiler and cleaning all areas with solvent. It came out great with only a few spots of excess. The spoiler is really on there! I was able to use a plastic trim removal tool to rub the excess off and then followed up with the solvent and quick detail. No prob.

One thing to note, maybe don't leave tape on the bottom painted areas on the udnerside of the spoiler in the middle as some of the tape became trapped under the betalink!! I had to score it lightly with a razor blade then use the trim tool to remove with and then solvent and quick detail.
I am about to install my own spoiler, but I'm having a hard time picturing what you guys mean by taping up the trunk with painter's tape. Does anyone have any photos of this?

Do you mean that you run tape across the front edge of the spoiler where it meets the trunk so that half the tape is on the spoiler and half on the trunk, sort of like a "hinge" between the spoiler and trunk? I suppose I could see how that would serve to keep the spoiler in the correct spot and would prevent Betalink from squirting out onto the top surface of the trunk, but would still allow you to squirt Betalink under the spoiler where it belongs.

Am I picturing this correctly?

Also, can Betalink be purchased at the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #101
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Performance View Post
FYI - From our experience installing the BMW Performance Spoilers, it is much easier to use 3M double-sided automotive tape rather than the BMW Betalink.
Which tape do you use from 3m? I was looking at their vhb line of tape not sure which number to get.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #102
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I am about to install my own spoiler, but I'm having a hard time picturing what you guys mean by taping up the trunk with painter's tape. Does anyone have any photos of this?

Do you mean that you run tape across the front edge of the spoiler where it meets the trunk so that half the tape is on the spoiler and half on the trunk, sort of like a "hinge" between the spoiler and trunk? I suppose I could see how that would serve to keep the spoiler in the correct spot and would prevent Betalink from squirting out onto the top surface of the trunk, but would still allow you to squirt Betalink under the spoiler where it belongs.
I ended up installing using 3M tape. It was pretty straightforward and came out nice, but having done it, I would probably use Betalink if I had to do it again. For one, I can't imagine how it would be harder than tape. I was really concerned about misaligning the spoiler, but it's pretty easy to line it up. I test fit it first and used blue painter's tape to mark where the edges should be on either side, making little adjustments until I got it dead on. This made it very easy to nail the placement when I did it "live."

Why would Betalink be easier? Because it was a bit of a PITA to line the tape up on the spoiler. You have to make sure it's stretched thin enough so there is no gap between spoiler and trunk. You also have to make sure it's far enough back from the edge so you don't have take sticking out. All in all, it seems to me that Betalink would be easier to put on and would allow you to wipe up any reside that squirts out.

There is the concern about getting excess on the car, but you could mitigate that by putting tape down on the trunk close to the edges of the spoiler to catch excess Betalink. Plus, it's not like the stuff dries instantly; you have some time to wipe it up. And, of course, the Betalink is guaranteed not to fly off at high speeds. I do worry about the tape.

Cliffs: Installed with 3M tape. Went pretty well. Would do with Betalink if I had to do again.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #103
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
You have to make sure it's stretched thin enough so there is no gap between spoiler and trunk.
When I investigated using the 3M tape I recall finding instructions from 3M stating that you should not stretch the tape when applying; stretching it reduces adhesion. If you look at the stock spoiler, the tape is not stretched at all and the spoiler sits above the trunk slightly because of the tape. 3M does make the tape in different widths and thicknesses. Did you get the thinnest tape possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #104
MWM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Just installed my spoiler using 3M...it's been a few hours and I can feel it becoming more and more solid. No gaps, even up close - I'm satisfied. If anyone's curious about the tape's cure time, I found this on 3M's FAQ site:

Immediately after an application is made, about 60% of the bond strength is achieved. As the adhesive continues to wet-out the surface, you can expect the bond to be at about 75% - 80% after 24 hours. After 72 hours, 95%+ of the bond strength is achieved. The bond will continue to build with time.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #105
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

to those who uses betalink did you guys just apply the glue at the back portion of the wing or at the front as well? it seems hard to use it at the front since it barely touches the hood. can i use 3m double sided tape in the front then betalink in the back instead? any help would be appreciated. by the way i got an 09 E92. THANKS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #106
AlexTek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast1st View Post
to those who uses betalink did you guys just apply the glue at the back portion of the wing or at the front as well? it seems hard to use it at the front since it barely touches the hood. can i use 3m double sided tape in the front then betalink in the back instead? any help would be appreciated. by the way i got an 09 E92. THANKS
I used beta link all around the spoiler so it's sealed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #107
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM3 View Post
Just installed my spoiler using 3M...it's been a few hours and I can feel it becoming more and more solid. No gaps, even up close - I'm satisfied. If anyone's curious about the tape's cure time, I found this on 3M's FAQ site:

Immediately after an application is made, about 60% of the bond strength is achieved. As the adhesive continues to wet-out the surface, you can expect the bond to be at about 75% - 80% after 24 hours. After 72 hours, 95%+ of the bond strength is achieved. The bond will continue to build with time.
+1 on 3M.

I used 3M to install the spoiler on my E36 M3 8 years ago and it's perfectly solid even after seeing 140+ many times. Do not believe the skepticism on 3M, while not permanent like BetaLink, its more than enough and do you really want to permanently mount your spoiler? What if it gets damaged, cracks, oxidizes, etc...?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #108
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
I recently did the install…I initially wanted to just do 3M Automotive Double-sided tape, but after reading all the reviews I decided to go with Betalink. Let's just say I'm so glad I did. Feels so damn secure and doesn't move a bit. If you take the time to prep and do this install correct with Betalink, the results are the best possible IMO.

IMG_4778a by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4677a by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4684aa by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights

Last edited by dj_dub; 05-08-2014 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #109
4er_Meister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabbhatia View Post
wondering if there is any DIY for removing the lip spoiler on our car's and installing the Competition CF spoiler..

Thanks
To Remove spoiler:

1. Clean the area
2. Use heat gun to heat it up (make sure not to damage the paint; do it in sections, 3-5 inches at a time)
3. Use fishing line to separate the spoiler form the trunk
4. Use 3M adhesive remover to clean the trunk

To install CF spoiler:

1. Use BMW Betalink-K1 (BMW pn 82-69-9-408-866)
2. Read directions

It should look like this when you done !

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #110
Robario12
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 430i GC/E92 M3/E46 M3

Reviving this thread, as I am about to install an OEM Performance Spoiler in the next week or two.

I ordered the betalink.

One question is that I was really surprised when the spoiler arrived that it was sooo light. Additionally, the back edge of the spoiler (more towards the rear) has a little edge to add the adhesive and glue down, but the front edge (where there is a more severe angle) has a minimal edge/face to apple the adhesive.

Is this normal? Is there enough of an adhesion surface to hold this thing? I imagine there is since many people have installed successfully, but did anyone else have this concern?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0