BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

05-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Perf steering wheel install help

Well guys i need some serious help here. Everything went fine on this install until we went to put the new wheel on. Basically it would not just easily slide right on even though the spine in the wheel was lined up with the hole in the column. So we pushed the wheel on as far as we could and proceeded to tighten down the nut to get the wheel to go down. It did, but its not flush with the steering wheel column. There is probably a 1/8" gap. Upon reconnecting everything the wheel is off center and the DSC error came up when driving around. We took the airbag back off, took the 16mm bolt out and tried to pull the wheel off with no luck. That thing is stuck on there and just wont budge. Anything I can do here or am I going to have to make a trip to the shop to have the wheel removed? I honestly have no idea how the would even get it off....it won't budge at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Well guys i need some serious help here. Everything went fine on this install until we went to put the new wheel on. Basically it would not just easily slide right on even though the spine in the wheel was lined up with the hole in the column. So we pushed the wheel on as far as we could and proceeded to tighten down the nut to get the wheel to go down. It did, but its not flush with the steering wheel column. There is probably a 1/8" gap. Upon reconnecting everything the wheel is off center and the DSC error came up when driving around. We took the airbag back off, took the 16mm bolt out and tried to pull the wheel off with no luck. That thing is stuck on there and just wont budge. Anything I can do here or am I going to have to make a trip to the shop to have the wheel removed? I honestly have no idea how the would even get it off....it won't budge at all.
I installed my PSW non-electric the other day and everything went smoothly, once i line up the steering wheel with the center column it just slide right in with no pressure needed.

You might want to give it a little gap on the side of the wheel and see if it will loosen up.
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Yeah it should not be tight whatsoever when you slide on.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah i know that now but my problem is we absolutely cannot pull the wheel back off. Anyone have any ideas on how we could do that?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
If it won't come off, you can rent a steering wheel puller from your local auto parts store.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
If it won't come off, you can rent a steering wheel puller from your local auto parts store.
Thanks, Tech, we'll give that a try. I just cant figure out why we couldn't get the wheel to slide right on....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, Tech, we'll give that a try. I just cant figure out why we couldn't get the wheel to slide right on....
Sounds like it just wasn't lined up right.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep

No luck with the steering wheel puller. Its just not the right size/design for that wheel. Guess I will take it to the shop. That damn wheel is jammed on there and not budging at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep

OK guys, got the wheel off and put back on correctly. No DSC codes are being thrown and steering is good. I've got another problem though. Horn doesn't work, no airbag warning is going off and steering wheel controls aren't functioning. I'm 100% certain all clips are in and airbag is attached correctly. Hell, all this stuff was working even when the wheel was on lopsided. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
OK guys, got the wheel off and put back on correctly. No DSC codes are being thrown and steering is good. I've got another problem though. Horn doesn't work, no airbag warning is going off and steering wheel controls aren't functioning. I'm 100% certain all clips are in and airbag is attached correctly. Hell, all this stuff was working even when the wheel was on lopsided. Any ideas?
I recall there is a brown ground wire inside the steering wheel ?
I'd guess if everyone doesn't work, and you say the plugs are all in (I'd double check) it might be a ground issue?
If you can pass by Reston, I can take a look
I have the non electric one, but the plugs and install are the same
      05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Everything checks out with the ground wire and all connections. We even tried reinstalling the original wheel with the same results. No power to airbag, horn or controls. They're all dead.

Some Googling tells me we probably screwed the slip ring up when we torqued the wheel down the first time. Off to the dealer and hopefully they'll cover under warranty.

Last edited by RBB; 05-05-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0