BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

01-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Space Saver Wheel

Hi Guys,

What sort of space saver wheel/tyre do you guys run here, if any.

I know that it has to be a M3 applicable wheel to fit over the brakes..

Rang up my local dealer and they really have NO IDEA.

Have purchased the " Wheel/Jack/chock kit" from dealer already..

Have searched the US forums, but very mixed replies in regards to fitting a 18" space saver to a car that is fitted with 19", which can cause some damage to the LSD, due to the different circumference of the wheels.

My question is, can you get a 19" space saver for the M3, which in turn will fit the 1M, and if so, from where?

Joe

Last edited by Zuzu; 01-21-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I carry nothing. In the event of a blowout I'll get onto BMW Assist.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
I carry nothing. In the event of a blowout I'll get onto BMW Assist.
Thats all well and good mate, as I have that option also, and the mobility kit in the boot..

Planning on driving from Sydney to Wagga and back in a few months time, and dont want to be stranded on the side of the road, in the middle of the country side.

Just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
I also carry nothing. Thought about a spare for long trips but so far haven't done the research.

I have been on runs out to Bathurst and back a few times and down to the snowy mountains a few weeks ago and - touch wood - no problems.

I did however invest in a tyre pressure monitor from TyreDog, picked it from Repco during the sales for $150! RRP is $399.

http://www.tyredog.com.au/store/5-wh...to-60-psi.html

It works great and every time I fill up I can just check the LCD screen to see if tyres need a top up.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks for your replies..

I am just amazed that no one on this forum runs a space saver in their M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Why would we need to run a space saver? I acknowledge that there is a risk of running a flat, but most of us would judge that risk as being minimal. Even if there was a space saver tyre, I would remove it anyway to save some weight, as I've done with all my previous cars. If you want a car with a space saver, then maybe the 1M wasn't the right choice of car. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Why would we need to run a space saver? I acknowledge that there is a risk of running a flat, but most of us would judge that risk as being minimal. Even if there was a space saver tyre, I would remove it anyway to save some weight, as I've done with all my previous cars. If you want a car with a space saver, then maybe the 1M wasn't the right choice of car. Just saying.
LOL.. Read my original post, and I don't need you to question my reasons for purchasing a 1M..

And what does a space saver have to do with any reason what so ever in making my purchase of the 1M.

I didnt post this thread to attack M3 drivers, just after some general info.

I only want the space saver for long trips.. As far as weight saving go in general driving, its only minimal.. As if you would have a space saver in the boot while tracking the car..

So..Please, if you haven't got anything positive to post, PLEASE refrain from posting.

Last edited by Zuzu; 01-24-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
LOL.. Read my original post, and I don't need you to question my reasons for purchasing a 1M..

And what does a space saver have to do with any reason what so ever in making my purchase of the 1M.

I didnt post this thread to attack M3 drivers, just after some general info.

I only want the space saver for long trips.. As far as weight saving go in general driving, its only minimal.. As if you would have a space saver in the boot while tracking the car..

So..Please, if you haven't got anything positive to post, PLEASE refrain from posting.
I have never tracked my cars, and I have always removed the space saver even for everyday driving...the removal of it wasn't for tracking purposes buddy, it's purely to reduce weight, which is one of the best ways to improve performance and fuel economy. I'm not having a go at your reasons for buying an M car, I was simply suggesting that most people don't deem it a necessary item for such cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
I have never tracked my cars, and I have always removed the space saver even for everyday driving...the removal of it wasn't for tracking purposes buddy, it's purely to reduce weight, which is one of the best ways to improve performance and fuel economy. I'm not having a go at your reasons for buying an M car, I was simply suggesting that most people don't deem it a necessary item for such cars.
Thanks.. I understand about weight reduction, as I am 51 yrs of age, and have owned enough performance cars to understand how the power to weight ratio works.

True, most don't deem it necessary to have a spare, but on the US forum it is a common mod.

I was just after local info for purchasing the space saver without having to buy direct form the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Zuzu, seeing as the standard M3 wheels are 18", even if you're running 19" wheels all round on an M3, the lower profile tyres would pretty much equate to the 18" set-up. Aren't the 1M wheels/tyres the same spec as the M3's? If so, surely it means you're safe to use the normal M3 space saver wheel...

Just my 2c.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Hey Zuzu, not much help but maybe just get your hands on a stock FRONT 1M or M3 19" wheel and tyre. Spare wheels will always be an issue given the BMW standard is different front vers rear wheel width sizings.

I did the ACT MELB return trip 3 times last year and had no spare in any of the fleet. Granted we travelled in pairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Zuzu, seeing as the standard M3 wheels are 18", even if you're running 19" wheels all round on an M3, the lower profile tyres would pretty much equate to the 18" set-up. Aren't the 1M wheels/tyres the same spec as the M3's? If so, surely it means you're safe to use the normal M3 space saver wheel...

Just my 2c.
Actually good point Woosh..

NOW...where can I obtain a M3 18" space saver in Oz ?

Or, Has someone on this forum have a single 18" M3 wheel they want to part with ?
Condition doesnt matter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Hey Zuzu, not much help but maybe just get your hands on a stock FRONT 1M or M3 19" wheel and tyre. Spare wheels will always be an issue given the BMW standard is different front vers rear wheel width sizings.

I did the ACT MELB return trip 3 times last year and had no spare in any of the fleet. Granted we travelled in pairs.
Thanks Alpine.. Yeh..Will try and obtain a 18" M3 wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

the car has like a quick fix thing in the boot i think you can only drive 50 or 100kms on it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
the car has like a quick fix thing in the boot i think you can only drive 50 or 100kms on it
Yep..Thanks..

I have the BMW Mobility Kit also..

Being anal, I like to dot my I's and cross my T's, and be prepared for any situation that might arise..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Actually, get a full set of M3 18" wheels/tyres, nice track setup, I like them personally. They can then double as a spare when you want to gor for a loooong ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Actually, get a full set of M3 18" wheels/tyres, nice track setup, I like them personally. They can then double as a spare when you want to gor for a loooong ride.
Ha... You read my mind mate..

I was just perusing ebay and the Trading post looking for a set..
Appreciate 0