BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

01-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #23
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Hell you dont even have to turn to the manual for this question... Have you put gas in the car yet? There's a sticker inside the fuel door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Only use leaded gas. The plugs, injectors, sensors and valves need that shit.
Ive been filling up with 100LL at the airport

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Oh, only as of late???
They just seem to be the worst lately. Plus the amount of laziness is growing.
I agree bro... Incredible questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
as far as premium give theyvhve 89 and 93, is 89 good enough or should I always aim for 91/93?
Please see http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519792
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

93 or BMW will confiscate the car
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
lol now that i reread my question, i guess i mis-phrased it. obv i wouldnt put 89 in the tank. question should have been worded better, to ask about 91 vs 93.

also some people swear by shell's formula?
91 is sufficient. 91 is all the California ppl get anyways. Given the choice I woudl still get 93.

As regards to brand, this is something that I feel is important. Any brand named gasoline could be used. The key thing is those big named brands put in additional additives that clean your injectors, and your engine. So yes use them. BP, Shell, Chevron, Texaco to name a few all have those in their premium 91+ gas. You can identify them as they will brand them:

Shell: V-Power
BP: Invigorate
Chevron/Texaco:Techron

99.9% of people agree with this. Now what people don't agree on is which is better. I'm think theses top tier brands are all the same. What most ppl don't agree on, but what I do is consistently use the same brand gas for the life fo the car, for me 93 Shell V-Power. If I can't get it on my road trips, I'll get BP 93
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #28
abehwang
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
91 is sufficient. 91 is all the California ppl get anyways. Given the choice I woudl still get 93.

As regards to brand, this is something that I feel is important. Any brand named gasoline could be used. The key thing is those big named brands put in additional additives that clean your injectors, and your engine. So yes use them. BP, Shell, Chevron, Texaco to name a few all have those in their premium 91+ gas. You can identify them as they will brand them:

99.9% of people agree with this. Now what people don't agree on is which is better. I'm think theses top tier brands are all the same. What most ppl don't agree on, but what I do is consistently use the same brand gas for the life fo the car, for me 93 Shell V-Power. If I can't get it on my road trips, I'll get BP 93
I work at a gas station and by law gasoline is required to have these "additives" that will clean injectors, engine, etc... Yes, BP, Shell, Chevron, and Texaco may advertise that they have this or that which means that they probably added more of the additives that were already there. It's like this... everyone needs a certain daily dose of calcium but adding more calcium pills sometimes doesn't really do anything. We urinate most of the excess calcium from our body. So having these extra additives aren't really essential. It's all marketing. All I'm saying is that you can go to any gas station (branded or unbranded) and your engine and injectors and whatever will still be cleaned.

Fuelly :: Adelei's Gas Mileage
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

Just an FYI Arco fuel is BP...lot of people don't realize this. In Cali. all our fuel comes from the same refineries, its after the refinery do certain manafacturers put their own additive such as Chevon with its Techroline.

To the OP, the cars rating of 414hp is with 93 octane. You run less you will get less, I go as far as blending 4 gallons of VP Racing unleaded with every tank full and it gets me to 93.2octane.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

wish i could use 93......grrrr. CALI gas hits 91 only. I do use SHell V-Power
      01-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang View Post
I work at a gas station and by law gasoline is required to have these "additives" that will clean injectors, engine, etc... Yes, BP, Shell, Chevron, and Texaco may advertise that they have this or that which means that they probably added more of the additives that were already there. It's like this... everyone needs a certain daily dose of calcium but adding more calcium pills sometimes doesn't really do anything. We urinate most of the excess calcium from our body. So having these extra additives aren't really essential. It's all marketing. All I'm saying is that you can go to any gas station (branded or unbranded) and your engine and injectors and whatever will still be cleaned.

This...I had a friend who worked for Chevon as well as Atlantic Richfield CO or ARCO who basically told me the same thing.

Especially here in Cali, where all the fuel comes from the same refineries.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
wish i could use 93......grrrr. CALI gas hits 91 only. I do use SHell V-Power
You can blend in a few gallons of 100 racing unleaded to get you to 93. The car will run better. I see you are in the 310 area code. Several stations offer it. There is Pico and Barrington 76 station, as well as the 76 station in Brentwood on San Vincente and Bundy.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
abehwang
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
This...I had a friend who worked for Chevon as well as Atlantic Richfield CO or ARCO who basically told me the same thing.

Especially here in Cali, where all the fuel comes from the same refineries.
+1

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Not quite right. I worked for a gasoline wholesaler in Northern NJ. We'd buy generic blend gas from the refineries. Gasoline is a commodity that is refined all over the world. Delivered price determined where we bought it from. In many cases it came from Europe although not so much now - remember, price. Not much if any additives from the refineries - these are expensive. Each "name brand" would load up their tank truck and then pour in their own additives package. Some of the brand "X" trucks would put little or NO additives.

So...you are better off buying a top tier brand and 93 octane if you can get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #35
abehwang
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Not quite right. I worked for a gasoline wholesaler in Northern NJ. We'd buy generic blend gas from the refineries. Gasoline is a commodity that is refined all over the world. Delivered price determined where we bought it from. In many cases it came from Europe although not so much now - remember, price. Not much if any additives from the refineries - these are expensive. Each "name brand" would load up their tank truck and then pour in their own additives package. Some of the brand "X" trucks would put little or NO additives.

So...you are better off buying a top tier brand and 93 octane if you can get it.
But it is required by law to have an x amount of additives for the engines.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #36
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
But it is required by law to have an x amount of additives for the engines.
You may or may not be right, but I don't work at the wholesaler any more so I cannot ask the question. You're not thinking about ethanol and other environmental "friendly" additives are you? However, you may be sure that if it's true the refineries will only add the absolute minimum additives required by law.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #37
supremox
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

OP - 87 is cheaper than 89, you might also want to try that
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I'd recommend Shell or Chevron 91...and since I'm in Cali, I use a bottle of Lucas octane booster every other fill up....

Amazon has a very good deal on Lucas octane booster if buy by the case, comes out to be about $6/bottle...vs. $9.99 at Pep Boys and Autozone..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

94 ftw
Appreciate 0