BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

04-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

From what I gathered when I really started pressing the Imola Red issue was that BMW "stop making that color across their product line". So if that was the reasoning for the red, Estoril probably falls under the same category. I suppose one could order a whole bunch of Estoril and have your dealership take care of it in their body shop for big bucks.

In the meantime I keep dreaming of owning an Imola Red 427 cobra

And don't worry about the color combo. When I ordered my car there was nothing for me to go on. No samples. No US website. Just the pricing list Just guessed that Space/Fox extended/Carbon would hopefully look good. I would wake up and want to change it to something "safe". I figured worst case scenario I would just get 10% tint so no one could see it. When I took delivery in February of 08 though I was blown away by the car. Fox Red FTW.
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers17 View Post
Curious if they gave a reason for rejecting the Estoril order?

The Neptune was accepted today with about a three week extra wait, so I didn't switch to the Azurite. For better or worse, I'll know in late June. Although, technically, I guess it is just the $2k deposit at risk.
They rejected Estoril orders because its no longer a BMW Individual color, if I remember correctly. If you're ordering an Individual blue M3, you NEED to get either Ecru or Champagne as the interior color. Below is a picture of Ecru on an E46 M3:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
steelers17
Rep
Drives: X6 white, saddle, 535xi

What is the cost? Some have counseled against too much customization and my wife counseled against spending any more $!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

BMW Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
I would highly recommend going with Estoril Blue over Neptune. Estoril Blue was 1 of the special colors of the E36 M3 along with Dakar Yellow. Neptune is nice, just not ///M enough for me. To each is own though.

One thing I loved about visiting BMW Welt last year was to spend some time in the BMW Individual boutique. They has a truly superb M6 (purple-wine colour + white leather, could be the "Ecru" shown above) and a 7er too - all w/ custom paint, leather, wood - fantastic.

You can see custom leather swatches hanging up, w/ sample wood etc interior finishes above, in the photo I took from above the Individual boutique.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 04-24-2009 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: incr photo size
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #27
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mora E46, Tanzanite G20 M340i

Quote:
In my case, they simply said Estoril Blue was no longer available as an option through BMW Individual. US bound cars are always wildcards, as they sometimes approve certain people for some things that they do not for others....

.....for example, I experienced this first hand when I ordered my 2006 e46 M3. I originally requested: Daytona Violet over Lotus white extended leather. They denied both the exterior color, citing it was no longer available through BMW Individual, and the interior citing that it was "no longer produced". Liars liars liars. I had seen a 2005 e46 with lotus white interior, which is what initially sparked my interest in the first place. That car, however,was a euro-spec car.

I've heard that if you have $$$$$, BMW will pretty much do whatever you want in terms of color or whatever. That being said, it seems that only applies to non-USA spec cars. At the time I ordered my e46, I offered to pay 2/3 times over the specified rate for exterior paint, roughly $6000 (the standard charge being $2000), and they STILL denied me.

I've heard that USA-spec cars can access the Individual program, but may only order what is currently offered as options. And this still has to be approved by BMWNA and BMWAG. As of the current moment, no interior leathers can be ordered due to the fact that they "have not been tested". I don't know if they are talking of the dyes or the leather, but I'm assuming the former; either way its a crapshoot. Same goes for interior trims. They cannot be ordered from the factory with the trim installed. However, I do believe they can be purchased through the parts dept.

I love BMW, but sometimes I wonder why they openly deny this program to their largest market...? I understand having it on the 6+7's, as the clientele has naturally bigger pockets, but I believe M cars should be included in that mix too. I mean we all know these cars aint cheap.

Phew. Ok ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. However, a bit of news for all you Estoril/light blue lovers... By now I'm sure you've all seen the X5/X6M photos. Anyone notice that blue X5M? While I knew that many people had already been denied Estoril fairly recently, even people with connections, I requested the color anyways. This was right around the time of the X5/6M released, so when i put in my request I ask my CA to ask about that color. The BMW-rep's answer was, "That color is Monte Carlo blue. It has not been tested for the US market at this time, however pending positive results it could make to production. I'm betting it debuts on the new X-M cars. And though it is difficult to tell having not seen the color in the flesh, it appears as though it is a light blue more similar to Estoril than Lemans or Interlagos. I mean, do we need another medium/dark blue?

Here's hoping for the best. Sorry for the
      04-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #28
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the cost? Some have counseled against too much customization and my wife counseled against spending any more $!
I'm assuming you paid $5k for the special color, correct? Also how long did they tell you your special order would add? 3 weeks, or was that just for the azurite?
      04-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #29
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On my E46, they charged me $3880 for my interior. When I received it looked like so:

I wanted the full leather interior offered in Europe, but that was not available for USA-spec cars from the factory. They did, however, allow me to order the parts to equip my car to be a full leather car. And this is how it turned out (this is a very accurate represention of the color Ecru, btw):

It is definately not cheap to go this route. If you like Fox red, stick with it. It is really nice.
      04-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #30
steelers17
Rep

Quite an education coming through these posts. I didn't research "individual" prior as I just kind of did it at the end.

The extra three weeks was related to the Neptune, they didn't give me any time table for my backup color so I can only assume it would have been the same. Production date went from first of May to third week in May. And yes, it was the $5k for either. I didn't get a price for individual leather. The ecru looks great to me but I am taking the advice to stay with FR -at least until I see the combo together.

I agree regarding the attitude of BMW on certain things. Have never felt they catered to the customization that their higher end market customers desired. But I had just viewed it as a missed opportunity because it hadn't impacted me directly. At the dealer's today they said the X5M is going to cost $100K. Not sure I quite get that
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The extra three weeks was related to the Neptune, they didn't give me any time table for my backup color so I can only assume it would have been the same. Production date went from first of May to third week in May.
Well that is good to know and gives me some hope!

My dealer ended up having trade a car to even get my M3 sedan allocation and finally found a dealer that would do the trade from out of state. It was for a 3rd week of May build, and up until this week the 800 number said I had no confirmed production date, but it was approved. However, now it says my order had been approved by AG and that it. So we'll see how long it takes my car to actually get built. Originally they estimated 6-8 weeks for the car, with an additional 8-10 extra for the special order exterior. Hopefully not.

Make sure you take lots of pics.
      04-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #32
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

Wow, I have never seen Ecru before. Looks great, but how did your shifter fare over time? I was considering having a Saddle shift boot/knob made for the GF's 335, but was concerned about discoloration over time.

If I recall Estoril was offered on the 4.8 X5's for a while. If only the folks in Estoril kept up w/ FIA safety standards maybe BMW would still offer the color

Not sure why the individual program is so limited in the USA. It is disappointing especially when you consider that they offer seemingly unending variations of Blacks and Blues, but god forbid you want an exotic color like British Racing Green or a Metallic. Red of some sort. Also, I've seen the Syrah blue leather on a 550i (may have been a 545i) about 1.5-2 years ago in the JMK showroom, so evidently that color was crash tested and approved for the 5er. I find it hard to believe that their would be airbag deployment issues if a 3er seat was wrapped in it.

It does speak to the bizarre relationship that seems to exist inside the various BMW divisions (BMWNA, BMWAG, and BMWFinancialServices). In addition to the color request I was told that I didn't qualify as a BMW Loyalty customer (the 335 is leased-loyalty knocks almost $100 a month off) because I never leased a car before. Evidently flat out purchasing 11 BMWs doesn't count as "loyal" to BMWNA. Sorry. Rant completed. It was mostly on topic
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #33
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Wow, I have never seen Ecru before. Looks great, but how did your shifter fare over time? I was considering having a Saddle shift boot/knob made for the GF's 335, but was concerned about discoloration over time.
I was worried about that when I bought it. So I just decided to wear driving gloves. Car is a garage queen anyways. But thats why she looks so good at 6k miles
      05-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #34
alivebacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Ivory Nappa Leather in m3? Is it possible?

Is there any way to get the Ivory Nappa extended leather package that is available for the new z4...in the m3 coupe?

Would a custom order be feasible?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #35
steelers17
Rep

After three long months, the Neptune blue/Fox red extended custom M3 arrived today. It is amazing. Everyone at the dealership thought it stunning and many others taking delivery of their cars came over to express similar compliments. I'll have to learn to post some pics. The color shows significantly better on the smaller M3 than it does on the 5 series-it really shows the lines well.

As we all know, this is a totally personal choice but I am extremely pleased with the decision. it was hard to wait months not knowing for sure it wouldn't be fugly. All I can say is I definitely got the special look I was hoping (and paid) for!

Thanks to all who expressed an opinion and aided my process.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #36
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After three long months, the Neptune blue/Fox red extended custom M3 arrived today. It is amazing. Everyone at the dealership thought it stunning and many others taking delivery of their cars came over to express similar compliments. I'll have to learn to post some pics. The color shows significantly better on the smaller M3 than it does on the 5 series-it really shows the lines well.

As we all know, this is a totally personal choice but I am extremely pleased with the decision. it was hard to wait months not knowing for sure it wouldn't be fugly. All I can say is I definitely got the special look I was hoping (and paid) for!

Thanks to all who expressed an opinion and aided my process.
Congrats, PLEASE POST PICS. Photobucket makes it very easy and even has a function that allows you to post your pics already encoded with the [IMG] tags. Try it out, its not hard at all, and it is free.
      01-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

After all this - this guy didn't post pics???
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Quote:

The Neptune was accepted today with about a three week extra wait, so I didn't switch to the Azurite. For better or worse, I'll know in late June. Although, technically, I guess it is just the $2k deposit at risk.
The paint codes used to mix Estoril Blue can't be used on the new programs used to mix the paint. I tried for a customer on a 135i Coupe and was told Syrah Blue would be the closest available. I also tried the same for a Technoviolet e90 M3 and was rejected for the same reason (all this rejection can be stressful). The last new car I saw in Estoril was for a 2006 Individual e46 M3 Coupe with Cinnamon leather interior. It looked great.

Congrats on your order!

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #39
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarsOnline View Post
The paint codes used to mix Estoril Blue can't be used on the new programs used to mix the paint. I tried for a customer on a 135i Coupe and was told Syrah Blue would be the closest available. I also tried the same for a Technoviolet e90 M3 and was rejected for the same reason (all this rejection can be stressful). The last new car I saw in Estoril was for a 2006 Individual e46 M3 Coupe with Cinnamon leather interior. It looked great.

Congrats on your order!
What is a color that is close to Technoviolet ? Ruby Black ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #40
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
What is a color that is close to Technoviolet ? Ruby Black ?
I was told Mora would be the closest to Techno Violet
Link to Mora Metallic

The best way to describe Ruby Black would be a red version of Jerez Black or Carbon Black. I wanted to order my 06 ZCP in Ruby Black but I was told I was too close to the end of production.
Here is a link to a swatch from EuroCarsOnline.com. It has the color code too.
EuroCars BMW Individual

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarsOnline View Post
I was told Mora would be the closest to Techno Violet
Link to Mora Metallic

The best way to describe Ruby Black would be a red version of Jerez Black or Carbon Black. I wanted to order my 06 ZCP in Ruby Black but I was told I was too close to the end of production.
Here is a link to a swatch from EuroCarsOnline.com. It has the color code too.
EuroCars BMW Individual
Wow those are some great colors .
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #42
luxun54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i-ED;11 335i-ED convertible

Here is my Ruby Black 335i, ordered in the US last year, and picked up on European Delivery in Munich, along with a close up of the paint. More photos here, you will see it looks very different in different light.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #43
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
Here is my Ruby Black 335i, ordered in the US last year, and picked up on European Delivery in Munich, along with a close up of the paint. More photos here, you will see it looks very different in different light.

Nice color, this is what I would have wanted if the paint was not $5000. It has a little purple tint to it right. Citrin Black has a brown tint to it.

Here are more pics of this color on an M3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...45#post5811445
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #44
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Can't say I'm a fan of that Neptune blue. Looks bland and uneventful and for $5k - no way.

There are so many better colors you can get for $5k through Individual.

And get the Platinum interior (a member on here has an AW with Platinum, looks stunning) but these light-colored interiors will get destroyed in a matter of months no matter how careful you are.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0