BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Hey Everyone,
Ive seen the threads on how to adjust the parking brake tension but am having an issue I wanted to see if anyone knows how to tackle.

4 years ago, I put a BBK on my car, a 4 piston Stoptec set up. My parking brake pads were pretty worn at the time and I had it tightened at the wheel itself at the point where you can insert a screwdriver and lock down the settings. It held but was at the very top of the parking brake range when you pull the handle inside the cabin of the car.

Yesterday, I installed new parking brake pads figuring why not im doing some other brake work anyhow. After adjusting the handle inside the car and working with the adjustments at the wheel, its now looser than it was before I changed the pads and wont hold on a hill.

I looked at the brake hats on my Stoptec and they are somewhat worn. Its odd to me since I don't do donuts in the parking lot and the car sits garaged on a flat surface most of the time. The parking brake pads are new and have more material on them than the old ones, but I cant get the adjustment right and I now have them on the second to last click at the hub. If I go to the last click it rubs and drags even though the handle in the cabin is fully released. As far as I can tell its the tightest it can go at the handle but that was a bit tricky.

Im torn on what to do next. Is it just an adjustment issue or is the cable now stretched in some way and needs replacement? Replacement brake hats are $400 each so replacing those would be my last choice vs finding a way to adjust whats there. The cable replacement seems like a bitch to diy.

Any one experience this or have suggestions for me on how to solve this problem? Could it just be a handle adjustment that I am not getting right?

Last edited by Mvy; 05-10-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

bump. Anyone have this issue before?

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I’ve no 1st hand experience with this. But I have looked into it. I have a StopTech kit too and will be replacing the rear rings and pads and thought maybe I’d just swap the shoes while I’m there. I’ve come to learn that the M3 by nature requires a long pull of the ebrake handle to engage (7-8 clicks) so if it’s in that range it’s normal. Other than that here’s a link to on replacing the shoes maybe cross it with what you did to make sure. I thought there was a mention of a way to adjust the tension on the cable from inside the car

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
I’ve no 1st hand experience with this. But I have looked into it. I have a StopTech kit too and will be replacing the rear rings and pads and thought maybe I’d just swap the shoes while I’m there. I’ve come to learn that the M3 by nature requires a long pull of the ebrake handle to engage (7-8 clicks) so if it’s in that range it’s normal. Other than that here’s a link to on replacing the shoes maybe cross it with what you did to make sure. I thought there was a mention of a way to adjust the tension on the cable from inside the car

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
Thanks for this. Car will not hold at the max handle pull on a hill so ive got some more work to do to figure this out.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 05-12-2019 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
decimation1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Thanks for this. Car will not hold at the max handle pull on a hill so ive got some more work to do to figure this out.
If I recall correctly, there are 2 places to adjust the ebrake, at the wheels using a screw driver to turn the gear on each wheel and inside the car under the center console.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

That was my thought — the cable locknuts at the handle in the car, assuming the new shoes were installed correctly and the rear adjuster adjusted correctly. I installed ST40 rears on my E36M3 and have no issues but have not changed shoes. You would need major wear to make the brakes non adjustable.

If you got oil into the brake hub obviously that could cause an issue but I don’t see how that would have happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Wondering how I can adjust the parking brake with wheel studs installed haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Wondering how I can adjust the parking brake with wheel studs installed haha.
Gotta remove one
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

There is no adjustment inside the car. All you can do is push in a button on a spring which releases the tension on the cable. The one at the wheel is all but one click from the end on a new set of pads. If I go to the last click it drags on the brake hat when the handle is released.

Ive ordered new brake hats from Stoptec. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Mvy; 05-17-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
There is no adjustment inside the car. All you can do is push in a button on a spring which releases the tension on the cable. The one at the wheel is all but one click from the end on a new set of pads. If I go to the last click it drags on the brake hat when the handle is released.

Ive ordered new brake hats from Stoptec. Wish me luck.
There’s no way the hats are worn that much. When I first bought my M3 back in 2013 I had a similar problem with the stock brakes. The shoes were making a rubbing sound while driving (yes ebrake released) BMW burnished the parking brake and never heard it again. You might want to Adjust it then try that first
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
There’s no way the hats are worn that much. When I first bought my M3 back in 2013 I had a similar problem with the stock brakes. The shoes were making a rubbing sound while driving (yes ebrake released) BMW burnished the parking brake and never heard it again. You might want to Adjust it then try that first
I agree, I just dont think I have many other options left to try. Basically new cable and new hats are about all thats left. The challenge I have is no matter how tight I go its not holding the car on a hill. Even with it rubbing. So its got to be the cable has stretched. I just ordered everything so I can return what I dont need after the next attempt.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree, I just dont think I have many other options left to try. Basically new cable and new hats are about all thats left. The challenge I have is no matter how tight I go its not holding the car on a hill. Even with it rubbing. So its got to be the cable has stretched. I just ordered everything so I can return what I dont need after the next attempt.
Yea or the shoe hardware. I could see that it could be the cable. Hypothetically if the shoes were engaged at 5 clicks and someone pulled hard a few more clicks the cable would wear out. Sounds like an annoying problem, good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hi everyone.
Just wanted to update. My local indy shop replaced the cable yesterday and all is back in action. It was the second issue with the cable they had seen on 10 year old m3s. It was the cheaper part of the bunch,but you do have to remove the center console which makes this job labor intensive. You don't need to remove the exhaust to get to the underside of the cable in case you were wondering. Also, there was also a few milimeters difference in pad thickness between FCP euro part #Meyle 34416761292 and the BMW version of the part. Buy the BMW version BMW Parking Brake Shoe Set - Genuine BMW 34416761292 as it seems to be thicker pad wise, which helps here. It still doesnt catch until 6 or so clicks, but it holds solid now on a steep hill. Just wanted to post the solution in case others find this thread later.BMW should update this cable with one that is just a bit shorter and life would be good!

Last edited by Mvy; 08-03-2019 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Aktavate245.50