BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Warm Car - Failed to Start - Long Crank - Then Fine...

Yesterday I had a strange issue. Car was hot, went to the store and when I came out, the car long cranked and failed to start. Tried again, same thing. Sat there for a second in befuddlement. Try number 3: immediate and normal start...

Scanned the car with Carly and found zero codes set.

This has never happened before. I was at a lower fuel level at the time and this tank I ran SeaFoam. Gauge showed about 1/8th of a tank and I had 40KM showing as distance to empty (trying to empty the tank as much as possible). I have driven at this fuel level many times before and never had issues. The engine did not stumble, burble or cough at all when it finally fired on the third try - it just started immediately and normally.

History:

While chasing down a pre-det issue, I have recently changed injectors. The other set of injectors seemed to leak and caused long crank on every start if the car sat for any time. So I swapped back to my original injectors and car has run normally for a couple weeks. All new o-rings were used when swapping injectors.

Since my battery was 9 years old, I also changed it for a new Group 49 AGM MotoMaster. Old battery was a wet-cell Group 49 90AH BMW. New battery is 92AH AGM. I registered the new battery with Carly (think it worked - any way to verify?).

I am curious if anyone else has had this issue with a warm car that has been parked for a small period of time. If so, what may this behaviour indicate is going wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0