BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #265
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Kremersino unit is also on eBay if anybody is interested:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Afterm...C/223531680218
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #266
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
The location of the box seems to be OK for the moment but I'll reevaluate it at some point if and when I do the camera install.

The LVDS cable isn't a stretch since it's behind the CIC head unit, though you have to make sure to tuck it back behind the head unit so the head unit seats all the way (which leads me to be concerned about using the quad lock extension cable for the camera emulator). The USB cable was the only one that was a bit of a stretch since I wanted that inside the armrest. If you're routing it through the glovebox or somewhere else, it would be less of an issue. The rest of the components of the main power/iDrive cable aren't an issue - there's plenty of slack on the iDrive portion.

I can snap a pic or two tonight.

Quadlock can be shoved to the lower right pocket area.. It is a very tight opening but it will get through.

Pics would be awesome! Especially the module location too.

From what I gather, the JoyeAuto has EQ, this doesnt?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #267
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
A few pics of the setup - inside the armrest and under the glovebox. Not a whole lot to look at but hope it's helpful.
Basically I removed the tab that holds the armrest closed, and drilled a slot out on one of the sides of the opening for the AUX and USB cables. The USB does charge the phone, but Kremersino said it's not a high amperage, so I am also using a double USB dongle with one USB supplying additional power - that is plugged into the OEM USB slot.
Attached Images

Last edited by PACarGuy; 06-25-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:46 AM   #268
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After a few days of listening, while the sound clarity over AUX is good, I must say it is defiinitely missing some bass, compared to normal CIC audio. I haven't messed with the car's EQ to see if that helps much yet...

I also got some strange Carplay behavior this morning - I had Waze and Spotify open at the same time and the Spotify music kept cutting in and out, and switching back and forth to Waze and selecting via the iDrive controller was very laggy and slow. My cellular signal was very strong and in 4G mode. I haven't seen this before today. I am contacting Kremersino and will see what they say.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 06-26-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #269
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
After a few days of listening, while the sound clarity over AUX is good, I must say it is defiinitely missing some bass, compared to normal CIC audio. I haven't messed with the car's EQ to see if that helps much yet...

I also got some strange Carplay behavior this morning - I had Waze and Spotify open at the same time and the Spotify music kept cutting in and out, and switching back and forth to Waze and selecting via the iDrive controller was very laggy and slow. My cellular signal was very strong and in 4G mode. I haven't seen this before today. I am contacting Kremersino and will see what they say.
Thanks for sharing this - I was leaning toward this one but maybe they have a few issues to work out. I also would be disappointed with the lack of bass - wonder if the Joyeauto unit with its built in EQ would make any difference with this? I'm think I'll hold off for another few weeks.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #270
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Thanks for sharing this - I was leaning toward this one but maybe they have a few issues to work out. I also would be disappointed with the lack of bass - wonder if the Joyeauto unit with its built in EQ would make any difference with this? I'm think I'll hold off for another few weeks.
I suspect all of the carplay units that use AUX input (and so far as I can tell, all of them do) will have the bass issue. I've been doing a bit of research and it seems the BMW AUX input has a capacitor or two installed to limit the low frequency signal to protect the amplifiers, at least on my build. Debating whether to try removing them.

EDIT: I messed with the Equalizer in Spotify and increased the bass in Tone settings and it did help some. Sounds a bit better now. Still not as "full" as other audio sources, but better. Overall the sound quality is still quite good.
      06-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #271
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:

Interesting I've actually seen similar issues with spotify cutting in and out. Wasn't sure if it was my CIC navi emulator that was the cause since I've been seeing issues with that, but since you're seeing similar a behavior I may have to contact them as well
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #272
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

So far it seems the be the list of members with ACP modules in this thread.

Kremersino
yuyuyuyu
PACarGuy

JoyeAuto Wireless
timstar

JoyeAuto Wired
dkmcclelland

Anyone else using the JoyeAuto Wireless?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #273
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post

Kremersino
yuyuyuyu
PACarGuy

JoyeAuto Wireless
timstar

JoyeAuto Wired
dkmcclelland

I'm waiting on my JoyeAuto Wireless order. I will keep this thread posted.

Meanwhile, I did some investigation and contacted IDCORE (which looks like one of the original manufacturer of these boxes), which told me the only authorised reseller is Unique-AD (same owner of IDCORE).
They told me JoeyAuto is not an authorised reseller and that they're aware these "cloned" boxes are around with identical looks to theirs but with cheaper internals (according to them!), as they use Chinese domestic components; this obviously comes off as a pretty sketchy statement as I'm sure IDCORE boxes themselves are manufactured in China with chinese components.. otherwise other companies (JoeyCar) selling identical boxes wouldn't have appeared.

They also informed me that they have a beta firmware with Android Auto support and that they can preinstall it for new orders.
JoeyAuto instead confirmed me that their boxes come with Android Auto, although they could be just referring to MirrorLink which is known to be supported.. or they already got hold of the new beta firmware from IDCORE.. OR they branched off their own version of the firmware - god knows what happens in China!

Knowing that the voice command button on the steering wheel is not programmed to invoke Siri (confirmed by multiple manufacturers that they don't do it as it would clash with OEM voice commands) I've asked both IDCORE and JoeyAuto if they plan to at least make it optional so people who don't have OEM voice commands at all or decide to disable it with coding can make use of it.
Both said that they will not do it, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #274
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post
Quote:

Kremersino
yuyuyuyu
PACarGuy

JoyeAuto Wireless
timstar

JoyeAuto Wired
dkmcclelland

Meanwhile, I did some investigation and contacted IDCORE (which looks like one of the original manufacturer of these boxes), which told me the only authorised reseller is Unique-AD (same owner of IDCORE).
They told me JoeyAuto is not an authorised reseller and that they're aware these "cloned" boxes are around with identical looks to theirs but with cheaper internals (according to them!), as they use Chinese domestic components; this obviously comes off as a pretty sketchy statement as I'm sure IDCORE boxes themselves are manufactured in China with chinese components.. otherwise other companies (JoeyCar) selling identical boxes wouldn't have appeared.

They also informed me that they have a beta firmware with Android Auto support and that they can preinstall it for new orders.
JoeyAuto instead confirmed me that their boxes come with Android Auto, although they could be just referring to MirrorLink which is known to be supported.. or they already got hold of the new beta firmware from IDCORE.. OR they branched off their own version of the firmware - god knows what happens in China!

Knowing that the voice command button on the steering wheel is not programmed to invoke Siri (confirmed by multiple manufacturers that they don't do it as it would clash with OEM voice commands) I've asked both IDCORE and JoeyAuto if they plan to at least make it optional so people who don't have OEM voice commands at all or decide to disable it with coding can make use of it.
Thanks for doing some research! Did you have any links to the "original" one for sale?

Edit:

I don't see a CIC unit, unfortunately.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product-cate...-carplay-kits/

Last edited by derbo; 06-27-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #275
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
A few pics of the setup - inside the armrest and under the glovebox. Not a whole lot to look at but hope it's helpful.
Basically I removed the tab that holds the armrest closed, and drilled a slot out on one of the sides of the opening for the AUX and USB cables. The USB does charge the phone, but Kremersino said it's not a high amperage, so I am also using a double USB dongle with one USB supplying additional power - that is plugged into the OEM USB slot.
Any issues with heat or wifi signal with the module behind that cover? I was checking on my wired joyeauto unit the other day and it was quite hot after a long drive even with the AC going.

I know this is an after thought but you could pass the Aux cord through the arm rest storage without drilling holes. I removed the plastic slotted cover (I circled in red in your pic) near the hand brake and passed it through here. On my car the cover is currently off.

The cable is too large to actually pass through the slots but you could drill into the cover to create a decent opening. I imagine this would be better than drilling holes into your actual storage area.

Quote:

Kremersino
yuyuyuyu
PACarGuy

JoyeAuto Wireless
timstar

JoyeAuto Wired
dkmcclelland

I got JoyeAuto wired
Attached Images

06-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #276
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
Quote:

I have a Unichip Wired unit and the steering wheel voice button activates Siri after a short press. Not sure if it matters that I have a 335i.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #277
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Can you share the details on your USB power setup? Perhaps a link to the dongle? I am looking to do seomething similar for my setup.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #278
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Interesting my kremersino unit's steering wheel voice button activates the OEM voice control and not siri. Wondering if there's a setting for this..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #279
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegadenick View Post
I have a Unichip Wired unit and the steering wheel voice button activates Siri after a short press. Not sure if it matters that I have a 335i.
Interesting. Where does your module get placed? Same area? 335i shouldn't matter as the CIC unit is identical.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #280
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Quote:
Any issues with heat or wifi signal with the module behind that cover? I was checking on my wired joyeauto unit the other day and it was quite hot after a long drive even with the AC going.

I know this is an after thought but you could pass the Aux cord through the arm rest storage without drilling holes. I removed the plastic slotted cover (I circled in red in your pic) near the hand brake and passed it through here. On my car the cover is currently off.

The cable is too large to actually pass through the slots but you could drill into the cover to create a decent opening. I imagine this would be better than drilling holes into your actual storage area.

Quote:

Kremersino
yuyuyuyu
PACarGuy

JoyeAuto Wireless
timstar

JoyeAuto Wired
dkmcclelland

I got JoyeAuto wired
I haven't noticed any issues with heat but then again I haven't put my hand under the glovebox to check or anything. I did have the one episode of Spotify cutting in and out and the system being laggy once but it hasn't happened since that one time.

Thanks for the suggestion on routing the cables. I was trying to get that slotted cover off but I couldn't figure out how to pry it off so I gave up. apparently too soon!
      06-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #281
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
Interesting my kremersino unit's steering wheel voice button activates the OEM voice control and not siri. Wondering if there's a setting for this..
Yeah I may have misspoken earlier. I tried again using the voice button and it activates bmw voice command, not Siri.
The "Option" button on the idrive controller activates Siri.
      06-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #282
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Can you share the details on your USB power setup? Perhaps a link to the dongle? I am looking to do seomething similar for my setup.
I just used one of these: HIGHROCK 30cm USB 2.0 a Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male Data Charge Cable Extension Cord(1pc) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM..._yJyfDbDQNPEZ5

The data side is plugged into the usb cable on the kremersino box, and the power side is plugged into the original bmw USB port.

Though I will say wireless CarPlay seems to work just as well as wired.
      06-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #283
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. Where does your module get placed? Same area? 335i shouldn't matter as the CIC unit is identical.
I placed my module in the glovebox in the fuse area, behind the "false wall" in the back. I have had it there for nearly a year and have had no problems even in Texas heat.

I do believe the CIC is the same, could just be a Unichip feature. Mine is definitely an early CIC systems if that matters, late 2009 build. Hitting the phone icon on the wheel brings up the phone app; Next/Previous track work as well.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:51 AM   #284
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

Quote:
All "old" Unichip Wired units seem to have steering wheel voice button command set to enable Siri.
Both Kremersino and JoeyAuto told me that they disabled it and moved it to the iDrive controller due to conflict issues with the OEM voice command function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
Kremersino units are definitely different in shape and software from Joey/Unique.
Your voice command button activating OEM voice command function simply means that your CarPlay box doesn't interject that button.

I think there are 3 main manufacturers of CarPlay boxes, let me try to put it down on a list and please correct it if I'm wrong:

IDCORE (wireless)
reselled by Unique-AD
reselled/repackaged(?) by JoeyAuto

+ starts automatically on engine start
- supports only external microphone
- can't use steering wheel voice command button to invoke Siri
- doesn't seem to "officially" support Android Auto yet, only in beta

Kremersino (wireless)
very similar to IDCORE but different shape, menu

+ supports Android Auto
- doesn't start automatically on engine start

Unichip (wired)
reselled by Carlinkit

+ connects to OEM microphone
+ can use steering wheel voice command button to invoke Siri
- it's wired only

Last edited by ludalex; 06-28-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #285
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

The wired JoyeAuto says "Limecet" when you connect to it. That might be the older unit original chip manufacturer too? Not even sure.

It might need to be noted if the Unichip requires the quadlock or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #286
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post
All "old" Unichip Wired units seem to have steering wheel voice button command set to enable Siri.
Both Kremersino and JoeyAuto told me that they disabled it and moved it to the iDrive controller due to conflict issues with the OEM voice command function.

Kremersino units are definitely different in shape and software from Joey/Unique.
Your voice command button activating OEM voice command function simply means that your CarPlay box doesn't interject that button.

I think there are 3 main manufacturers of CarPlay boxes, let me try to put it down on a list and please correct it if I'm wrong:

IDCORE (wireless)
reselled by Unique-AD
reselled/repackaged(?) by JoeyAuto

+ starts automatically on engine start
+ supports steering wheel controls
- doesn't seem to "officially" support Android Auto yet, only in beta

Kremersino (wireless)
very similar to IDCORE but different shape, menu

+ supports Android Auto
- doesn't start automatically on engine start
- doesn't support steering wheel controls?

Unichip (wired)
reselled by Carlinkit

+ connects to OEM microphone
+ can use steering wheel voice command button to invoke Siri
- it's wired only
Kremersino unit definitely works with steering wheel controls. Volume and Track up/down and phone button work. But Voice command button doesn't invoke Siri as you pointed out.
It also does start automatically on engine start, but doesn't go into Carplay mode until you press the Menu button for a few seconds.