BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Comfort Access Weirdness

In the last few days my CA-equipped M3 has started to unlock itself as I approach the car (normally this happens on the left side, not the right, as I get close to the door mirror) without any pressing of the key fob button.

At the same time however, it seems reluctant to unlock/lock when I put my hand on the relevant door handle sensor (either side).

The other weird symptom is that for a few seconds after the strange unlock, I can hear repeated, slightly irregular clicking inside the luggage compartment. This clicking happens 8 to 10 times over maybe 20 seconds, then stops.

I have tried both key fobs, and exactly the same thing happens with each one.

Also, if I put the key fob inside an RFI wallet, no unlock happens (so at least the wallet is working OK!).

Any ideas?
      01-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
In the last few days my CA-equipped M3 has started to unlock itself as I approach the car (normally this happens on the left side, not the right, as I get close to the door mirror) without any pressing of the key fob button.

At the same time however, it seems reluctant to unlock/lock when I put my hand on the relevant door handle sensor (either side).

The other weird symptom is that for a few seconds after the strange unlock, I can hear repeated, slightly irregular clicking inside the luggage compartment. This clicking happens 8 to 10 times over maybe 20 seconds, then stops.

Also, if I put the key fob inside an RFI wallet, no unlock happens (so at least the wallet is working OK!).

Any ideas?
Quote:

Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem with increased battery discharge. Did you find out what the problem is?
      01-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iToy View Post
I have the exact same problem with increased battery discharge. Did you find out what the problem is?
How old is your battery?

My battery just shit the bed (it was 10 years old) and CA was the first thing that started acting up noticably. Couldn't touch the door handle to open the car.
      01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
How old is your battery?

My battery just shit the bed (it was 10 years old) and CA was the first thing that started acting up noticably. Couldn't touch the door handle to open the car.
It is about 3 years old. I was leaning towards the battery. Just found some codes for driver's door.

A089
A091
A094.

Cleared them and they were back today.
I wonder if my handle is shot and draining the battery. Thanks for the reply and input. My lucky is both. Battery and handle 😂👍. My problem is I don't drive it much. Just put it on a tender. I think I waited too long.
      02-18-2021, 02:18 AM   #5
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
It has been diagnosed by my dealer, as a faulty external door handle (passenger side). As well as the touch sensitive parts, I believe this also contains the antenna for receiving key proximity signals.

I am fairly certain that this is exactly the same problem/solution that I had about 5 years ago, on the same side of the car, although symptoms were different then (no phantom unlocking, just a refusal to lock/unlock on touching the sensors).

So the handle does seem to have a limited life-span. As I recall, the antenna is only in the left-side handle.

I blame our shitty wet climate. For this and other things...
      02-18-2021, 02:55 AM   #6
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It has been diagnosed by my dealer, as a faulty external door handle (passenger side). As well as the touch sensitive parts, I believe this also contains the antenna for receiving key proximity signals.

I am fairly certain that this is exactly the same problem/solution that I had about 5 years ago, on the same side of the car, although symptoms were different then (no phantom unlocking, just a refusal to lock/unlock on touching the sensors).

So the handle does seem to have a limited life-span. As I recall, the antenna is only in the left-side handle.

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you so much. I went ahead and ordered a new handle. It is taking forever to get here. 👍🙂