BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Do I need to remove the drivers door card to replace the interior light bar strip?

Hey all,

My E92 M3 has a really chewed up interior light strip, that also doesn't function. I've ordered a replacement trim from Turner and it looks like it should pry off with a trim tool, but it isn't budging and I don't want to bust up the door card.

I'll also need to swap in the existing light strip since the replacement trim I got is only the cover.

Are there any guides I should look at? Do I need to go ahead and remove the entire interior door panel?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

You need to remove the whole door card. They are plastic mushroomed on the back to hold it on. You can not pry it off. Once you take it off you have to either drill the mushroom or melt it (probably less ideal way).

When you go to install the new depending how they sell the replacements you will probably have to melt the plastic to mushroom over.

The plastic strip inside for the light is super fragile. Dont force it but they do push out and handle them carefully, otherwise you will snap it.... ask me how
Appreciate 1
Cmassey3413.50
      11-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisenwether View Post
You need to remove the whole door card. They are plastic mushroomed on the back to hold it on. You can not pry it off. Once you take it off you have to either drill the mushroom or melt it (probably less ideal way).

When you go to install the new depending how they sell the replacements you will probably have to melt the plastic to mushroom over.

The plastic strip inside for the light is super fragile. Dont force it but they do push out and handle them carefully, otherwise you will snap it.... ask me how
Wow, that sounds a lot more serious than I was anticipating. I'll need to get some more equipment to mushroom the plastic like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
Wow, that sounds a lot more serious than I was anticipating. I'll need to get some more equipment to mushroom the plastic like that.
All you have to do is melt over the post/stud that goes through the door card. you can go to harbor freight and get there plastic welder its like $17. let it heat up then push in on the light and melt the back. Doesn't have to be a mushroom just what it looks like from factory. You just need to make the post melt down so it cant pull back through the door card.
Appreciate 1
Cmassey3413.50