BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 WRX STI

What are your opinions on the E9X Market in the Tri-State Area?

Been on the forums for awhile as a daily driven 335i owner, then sold it and bought a Jeep. Looking to get back into a BMW, but this time an M3 for weekend driving/non-daily duties.

Been looking for a few months now at the wide range of M's on the market. What it seems to me is that most of those that are for sale for less than $30K are generally higher mileage (not unusual or bad for a BMW M vehicle), or are beat in terms of appearance or maintenance. It also appears that most vehicles for sale are convertibles or sedans, with the coupes being on the more expensive end, even if they are the same year & have similar mileage as their E90 and E93 counterparts.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that finding an E92 with 70K or less on the clock, non-two tone leather seats (seriously, whoever thought that was a good idea should go back to owning a Civic), stock wheels, CF roof, and maintained well is tough to come by. Moreover, finding one that is stock, or tastefully modded is tough too (some of them look awful with the mods people chose to do to them)

Anybody else in the market right now, or recently was in the market for an E92, having this problem? Would enjoy some candid opinions on what everyone thinks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

I bought an e90 about three months ago, and what I had noticed is that there has been a downward trend in the amount of quality E9x M3s for sale. I know including myself there have been a lot of newcomers to this forum as we have been trying to score one at that sweet spot of cost and mileage and they are getting taken pretty quickly. A lot of people whom have been eyeing these cars have found that the price has become attractive and that there really isn't anything else better at this price point in terms of used cars....

My only advice is, just keep searching and once you find one, deal immediately. I nearly lost mine as I tried to haggle 500 bucks but in the end, a quality car is worth every bit of it....
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      09-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

In my opinion you need to be patient until you find the right car ... then pounce. There are a lot of potential buyers out there looking for the same car as you.

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 2
IanMan382.50
kshaikh21.00
      09-07-2018, 02:46 AM   #4
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

These are not limited numbers. It’s mass produce so have that mullah ready when the right specs comes around
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah it's difficult to find everything you want with all of the maintenance records to back it. I looked for a few months and finally settled without much of the cars maintenance records. Reason I settled is I found everything I wanted: e92, 6mt, melbourne red, cf roof, prestine black interior w/ aluminum trim, upgraded idrive(not an '08).

But the car having 75k miles w/o much of the maintenance history did leave some worry. Got a PPI, everything checked out, drove great. I used the lack of maintenance history in my favor ended up getting them to drop it from 29k down to 24.5k after a few weeks of holding out then I pulled the trigger.

Due to the lack of history I made sure to do all of the basic maintenance right off the bat(engine, diff and transmission oils, checked all belts, spark plugs, etc). Although this seemed to be a semi waste of cash since all fluids I drained looked great, and spark plugs weren't to eaten up either but FCP offers that lifetime warranty so its not a big deal.

Lack of maintenance history also screwed me a little during the first month. Thought my battery needed replaced due to some issues w/ warnings and errors during operation so I replaced it, turned out to be my alternator also replaced that. PPI didn't show codes for my left bank throttle actuator failing, so replaced both of them w/ lifetime warranty from Jason at rebuild. Turned out the right TA had been replaced in the past. Rod bearings still weigh on me, dealer told me they were replaced by last owner. No records of this... That being said I have been sending samples to blackstone, no copper or lead present in my last sample I take that as a good sign for an '09.

My bad for the long post. Long story short the lack of maintenance history saved me a few grand as an arguing point. I have spent ~$1400(Alternator, battery, both TAs, all fluids, spark plugs) in parts, all labor was DIY fairly easy car to work on if you know the basics. All said and done I'm still in the positive. I do find little things here which are bothersome, but I figured I would find a few things regardless.
Appreciate 3
      09-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #6
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
These are not limited numbers. It’s mass produce so have that mullah ready when the right specs comes around
It's limited relative to many other vehicles out there. More so because first year models are now 10 years old now and are naturally driven harder just by the very nature of them.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

Looking around, there really isn’t much for sale here. I’ve used Craigslist and all the car websites, and there is not much for sale if you’re looking for an E92 with a manual. There’s a couple for sale that are E90s, but that’s not what I’m interested in so that narrows it down.

Best thing would be to widen your search area, where there is more for sale. I’m doing that, plus you’ll have a fun road trip back in your new car!
      09-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM56 View Post
Looking around, there really isn’t much for sale here. I’ve used Craigslist and all the car websites, and there is not much for sale if you’re looking for an E92 with a manual. There’s a couple for sale that are E90s, but that’s not what I’m interested in so that narrows it down.

Best thing would be to widen your search area, where there is more for sale. I’m doing that, plus you’ll have a fun road trip back in your new car!
I'm in the tri-state with a E92 6mt FS lol
Appreciate 1
TimmyM56241.50
      09-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

It's threads like these that re-assure me (or jumping in the driver's seat, lol) every time I have a stupid idea of maaaaaybe selling my car.

There really is nothing in this price class that can do what the E9X can. I feel very fortunate to have come across mine when I wasn't even seriously in the market for one. Given the spec/mileage, I had no choice but to pull the trigger and I have only seen once car come close to fitting my requirements in the 2.5 years I have had mine.

Don't lose hope, sometimes it's worth shelling out a bit more for the one you really want. It will be soooo worth it.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I had a similar experience around a year ago. There are a lot of tatty examples floating around, generally with smaller dealers. Just have to be patient, check the forums, BMWCCA, then go for the one you want when you find it without too much haggling.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

I just bought one a week ago e92 white 2010 50k really good condition service records Blackstone last lab work in file look really taking care of took long but I found it private sale color I wanted just be patient good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #12
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
Just be patient OP, I had a similar experience when I was in the market for my 6spd manual E92 M3, at the time I hesitated on a Mineral White 2013 with Only 8,500 miles and the dealer wanted $53,500 for it which was somewhat high at the time in the spring of 2016 and someone else bought it, I was disappointed at that particular dealer and took my business else where and ended up finding my Jerez 2012 6spd manaul E92 M3 with 15,000 miles and saved 10k towards Mods Gluck with your search.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #13
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
I'm in the tri-state with a E92 6mt FS lol
Your car is absolutely perfect in every way... except for price I saw yours in the classifieds on the forum, but I'm not going to lowball you or pretend I have the cash for that right now. If you end up keeping it through the winter and put it back up for sale in about 6 months, then I'll definitely have a more serious offer for you.

GLWS in the meantime, car is gorgeous.

Retired: 2008 E92 335I
Current: 2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2016 Subaru WRX STI
Soon: E92 M3
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      09-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the insight guys. I appreciate it. I know it's a matter of holding out for the perfect car, and trust me I've seen a few that are absolutely perfect aside from price. Think I'm just going to keep checking the forums/websites and see what's out there while i continue clocking OT and saving up haha.

Was starting to get discouraged with all of the distasteful M3's I've seen lately for sale (best way I could think of to describe some of the ones I've seen) Glad to see some other forum members have found pristine ones recently that aren't gaudy or ghetto.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2A View Post
Your car is absolutely perfect in every way... except for price I saw yours in the classifieds on the forum, but I'm not going to lowball you or pretend I have the cash for that right now. If you end up keeping it through the winter and put it back up for sale in about 6 months, then I'll definitely have a more serious offer for you.

GLWS in the meantime, car is gorgeous.
Thanks. I can speak for most people here and it’s never to easy find. I looked for 6 months before purchasing my car down south. Cars in the Tri-state imo were not up to my standards. If my car does not sell I’ll post it back up in the spring with a stock car. Gl hunting
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

Redliner has a good point, in my searches over the years for cars, a lot of cars in the tristate cars seems to have either accident issues, modifications, shady histories, or potential salt/rust issues. At least I was running into this whenever looking at performance cars. I ended up getting mine from Florida but its not to say its any better of a location.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #17
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

I think part of it is the location. I'm from the DC Metro area and the market there is very similar. The cars in those areas get driven, a lot. Think about the stop and go traffic, people commuting in these cars, daily driving, parking in tights spaces, parallel parking, etc. Do they find the time to maintain these cars like you should? Who knows, but my guess is most people don't. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm just speculating here but, in the tri-state area (and DC), garages are probably tough to come by, especially for the demographic that usually owns these cars in those areas (I would assume folks in the 20-35 range). This leads to cars wearing faster, getting dinged up more, etc. Also, weather plays a role. Snow, salt, and all the little "accidents" that come w/ driving in that sort of weather.

You've received some great advice here, the same advice given to me about a year ago. Wait for the right car, and when you find it, don't be afraid to pay a little more to secure yourself an enthusiast owned vehicle.
      09-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #18
schnitzed328
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 e92 zcp dct aw

when i looked it was kinda hard... you kinda need to go to dealership and find them... i lucked out really good car i wanted blue but found a white and zcp extended black which i was told not to many orders for extended black but that could be a bs story i got from the salesman.... i paid alot less than i thought i was going to pay... i pretty much stole it from the dealer.. their fault not mine...

patience you will find a nice low mileage one with the combo you want
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #19
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I bought my car in December 2015. Even back then I was looking for a couple months before I found my car out in Florida. Drove my e93 down from NYC to FL on Friday night, picked up the car Sat night, drove up home Sunday morning and got back Monday afternoon.

Even 3 years ago there were no good e9x M3's up here in Tri-State area. Now it's worse, hard to find a quality e9x nationwide.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #20
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzed328 View Post
when i looked it was kinda hard... you kinda need to go to dealership and find them... i lucked out really good car i wanted blue but found a white and zcp extended black which i was told not to many orders for extended black but that could be a bs story i got from the salesman.... i paid alot less than i thought i was going to pay... i pretty much stole it from the dealer.. their fault not mine...

patience you will find a nice low mileage one with the combo you want
Who'd you end up going through to buy yours?

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #21
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
I think part of it is the location. I'm from the DC Metro area and the market there is very similar. The cars in those areas get driven, a lot. Think about the stop and go traffic, people commuting in these cars, daily driving, parking in tights spaces, parallel parking, etc. Do they find the time to maintain these cars like you should? Who knows, but my guess is most people don't. It's just the nature of the beast. I'm just speculating here but, in the tri-state area (and DC), garages are probably tough to come by, especially for the demographic that usually owns these cars in those areas (I would assume folks in the 20-35 range). This leads to cars wearing faster, getting dinged up more, etc. Also, weather plays a role. Snow, salt, and all the little "accidents" that come w/ driving in that sort of weather.

You've received some great advice here, the same advice given to me about a year ago. Wait for the right car, and when you find it, don't be afraid to pay a little more to secure yourself an enthusiast owned vehicle.
I'm inclined to agree. Definitely the age group, as I'd assume most are daily driving these cars and probably have to drive it in all weather. One thing I notice is the poor conditions of the interior though: peeling on the steering wheel, fading on the buttons, etc. Makes me wonder if the owners slapped canola oil on both of their hands and rubbed them together before driving everyday.

Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      09-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #22
DunkinDeezNuts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
I bought my car in December 2015. Even back then I was looking for a couple months before I found my car out in Florida. Drove my e93 down from NYC to FL on Friday night, picked up the car Sat night, drove up home Sunday morning and got back Monday afternoon.

Even 3 years ago there were no good e9x M3's up here in Tri-State area. Now it's worse, hard to find a quality e9x nationwide.
Value-wise, yes. The ones in great condition are generally overpriced, and the ones that are in mediocre condition are priced like those that are premium. Reminds me of the Wrangler community haha.

I get that if people price their cars accordingly if it's in fantastic shape and they want top dollar, but people tend to think these cars are investments... no car is an investment haha. $28K for a 80,000 mile car is too much, especially when you know you're gonna drop $2K on a RB job as soon as you buy the car. I can see spending $30K or more on a 50,000 mile that's fully loaded, but high 20's/low 30's for cars nearing 100,000K? No shot.

Appreciate 0