BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #23
msing
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr0gant View Post

Also, as I've said in MANY other threads, 1, 2 and 3 year old 911 owners and 996 911 Turbo owners as well (such as myself) are moving to the M3

In 2001, we didn't have the Carrera owners selling or trading their 1, 2 or 3 year old Porsches just to get into an M!! And, it AINT JUST about the horsepower, it's the WHOLE package!! Believe that!!
I don't think this is gonna last long with the release of the new Carrera. With the S variant having PDK and sports chrono package, it hits 0-60 in 4.3 secs or even less (as per R&T's latest test shows).

Just my opinion.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #24
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr0gant View Post
Looking at it from today, cause that's all we have...the new M3 Kicks ass WAY harder than the E46 M did!

2001 911 Carrera 300 BHP( up to 320 BHP in 2002) / 2001 E46 M3 333BHP
2008 Carrera 325 BHP / 2008 E9x M3 415 BHP

Street wise, the M3 takes on the likes of Porsche MUCH more than the E46 did, and we ALL know, it eats up the direct competition, such as S5, RS4, C63AMG, IS-350 etc...

Also, as I've said in MANY other threads, 1, 2 and 3 year old 911 owners and 996 911 Turbo owners as well (such as myself) are moving to the M3

In 2001, we didn't have the Carrera owners selling or trading their 1, 2 or 3 year old Porsches just to get into an M!! And, it AINT JUST about the horsepower, it's the WHOLE package!! Believe that!!
well to be honest though... the carrera S didnt exist in '01.

Also the b5 rs4 did exist in europe remember.
      07-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

Ill take a MK2 Porsche over an E92 M3, no problem with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #26
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

The ///M3 has more similarities to the lower model 3-series than you assert to.

"..built basically from the ground up" is a bit of an exaggeration.
Guess again, only the frame, doors and trunk lid are shared......this car is not a tuned version of my 335i coupe, that I can assure you of. Been in a S4 and two different AMG variants, and they feel like tuned cars of the the base versions I have been in.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #27
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Swamp is a fanboy who believe the sun shines out of an M3's exhaust pipes. You clearly haven't driven an old E30 M3 compared to the more recent versions, if you had then you would understand where my comments where coming from. Another fanboy comment is the total disregard for Forced Induction because M cars aren't built that way, N/A engine are great but I personally don't believe that they are any better than some of the best Turbo powered units currently in production. Engines like the RS6 are miles ahead of the V10 in the M5/6 for many reasons.

Again you don't understand or want to understand what happens to either the IS-F, C63 or the RS4 compared to their lessen models. Quattro build they versions from the ground up and I doubt Lexus or AMG are any different, all three models follow a totally different path to the normal cars and aren't even built in the same production plants.

I respect what M-Division do to their models but I don't believe they are much different to any of the others and the M3 engine isn't any more special than the RS4 engine, the C63 engine or the IS-F, it's only different in it's approach and execution.
Thanks for your OPINION. You have yours and I have mine.......and you clearly have no idea what I have or haven't driven, that much is VERY clear. According to your comment about the 911 Turbo, why would anyone want a GT3 over a 996 or 997 TT, or 996 GT2.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #28
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Thanks for your OPINION. You have yours and I have mine.......and you clearly have no idea what I have or haven't driven, that much is VERY clear. According to your comment about the 911 Turbo, why would anyone want a GT3 over a 996 or 997 TT, or 996 GT2.
No I was commenting on that fact you believe only BMW develop and built their cars from the ground up and I was informing you that such a statement was not only wrong but gave the impression of a true fanboy.

Also to think there is only N/A and no other is again a very narrow minded approach. I happen to have sampled lots of brand and lot of different types of engines and though N/A has a more balanced throttle response compared to a turbo car in a lot of occasions a FI unit offers a lot more. It's more ecomonical, has lower CO2s and has a more usable performance other than topend power.

The GT3 has been designed totally differently to all other 911s so to compare the engine differences is possible without comparing the car as well which is very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #29
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
No I was commenting on that fact you believe only BMW develop and built their cars from the ground up and I was informing you that such a statement was not only wrong but gave the impression of a true fanboy.

Also to think there is only N/A and no other is again a very narrow minded approach. I happen to have sampled lots of brand and lot of different types of engines and though N/A has a more balanced throttle response compared to a turbo car in a lot of occasions a FI unit offers a lot more. It's more ecomonical, has lower CO2s and has a more usable performance other than topend power.

The GT3 has been designed totally differently to all other 911s so to compare the engine differences is possible without comparing the car as well which is very impressive.
I never said a blanket statement of FI not as good as NA........just commented on your blanket and unfounded statement that no one that could afford a 997/997TT would buy an M3.......was somewhat ignorant of a statement if you ask me........but enough of this. I won't argue or discuss this with you for three pages. SWAMP has more patience than me.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #30
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I never said a blanket statement of FI not as good as NA........just commented on your blanket and unfounded statement that no one that could afford a 997/997TT would buy an M3.......was somewhat ignorant of a statement if you ask me........but enough of this. I won't argue or discuss this with you for three pages. SWAMP has more patience than me.
Fair enough, I must have misunderstood what you were saying in the original post.

The comment of 997TT drivers moving to the new M3 is definitely valid here in the UK, the Porsche is twice the price and unless you had taken a hell of a pay cut then the chances of you down grading which a move to the M3 would be is highly unlikely.

Now if you were to say that 997TT owners were adding a E90 M3 to their stable then I would totally agree, it would be the perfect partner.
Appreciate 0