BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #133
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
What exhaust setup do you currently run?
Meisterschaft titanium GT2

Just cat back
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:11 PM   #134
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
Quote:

Just cat back
I have Meisterchaft GT2 with 3" Xpipe and no primary cats
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #135
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just cat back
Well, that explains why you can barely hear the induction noise and the supercharger wine.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #136
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
How much pop and 'spit' do you get?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #137
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
How much pop and 'spit' do you get?
It's not consistent. I'm sure it'll be more with a burble tune but don't want to damage the engine. Scared myself once with it pop since it was unexpected...
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #138
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Mike,
How many Harrop kits have been sold in the US? Just wondering how special we are ;-)

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #139
jgbedford
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 ///M3

2011 rod bearings?

So BMW changed the rod bearings sometime in 2011, but nobody can tell me if my car has the new or old bearings. I sent my last oil change to Blackstone, and there was 0 lead in the sample at just shy of 9,000 KM. There were traces of aluminium. Blackstone hypothesised that I am on the new bearings due to the lack of traces of lead. I just want to be sure so I can calculate the additional costs to get my bearings done prior to the supercharger.

When I contacted Harrop - they were on the fence and said that they can't be sure and it would be safer to do them to be safe before doing the supercharger?

Has everyone with the Harrop setup done their bearings? What year is your car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 01:30 AM   #140
e90///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbedford View Post
So BMW changed the rod bearings sometime in 2011, but nobody can tell me if my car has the new or old bearings. I sent my last oil change to Blackstone, and there was 0 lead in the sample at just shy of 9,000 KM. There were traces of aluminium. Blackstone hypothesised that I am on the new bearings due to the lack of traces of lead. I just want to be sure so I can calculate the additional costs to get my bearings done prior to the supercharger.

When I contacted Harrop - they were on the fence and said that they can't be sure and it would be safer to do them to be safe before doing the supercharger?

Thanks!
I believe 2011 and up are aluminum type bearings which is probably why you are having a hard time tracing the lead/copper. My understanding is that the 2011+ has a disadvantage because it is harder to tell on your oil samples whether your RB's are going bad.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #141
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, everyone that does this should change their bearings first. SCs put a lot of strain on the lower part of the engine and this has to be in excellent working order or you are headed for disaster before you even get started.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #142
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Attachment 1509723

Heres my dyno results. Blue is before, Red is after. This is wheel hp and torque so after the typical drive train loss, crank adds up to 530 or so HP. Im running high flow cats and 93 octane pump gas at sea level.

Pick up the car monday and cant wait to drive it.

Mike,
is there anything wierd about how jerky the dyno looks at the end of the rpm band or is that just typical turbulence due to the blower? The Harrop charts look really smooth all along the powerband.
I would get that checked out ASAP! Even on smoothing 3 thats too choppy, meaning you are having timing retard and likely knock. what octane were you on?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #143
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, everyone that does this should change their bearings first. SCs put a lot of strain on the lower part of the engine and this has to be in excellent working order or you are headed for disaster before you even get started.
I have to change my oil pan and am thinking about doing bearings at the same time, timely advice thanks!

Hoping to go Harrop in 2017!
      10-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #144
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-AM3 View Post
I would get that checked out ASAP! Even on smoothing 3 thats too choppy, meaning you are having timing retard and likely knock. what octane were you on?
Its just the smoothing setting. 93.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #145
jgbedford
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 ///M3

Quote:
What is the recommended replacement? The VAC bearings with increased gap?
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #146
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its just the smoothing setting. 93.
no, thats not just a smoothing issue, thats a knock issue.

smoothing 3,more boost less octane, nowhere near the same knock

http://www.bigdynodatabase.com/DynoG...INTANI_COM.jpg
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #147
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no, thats not just a smoothing issue, thats a knock issue.

smoothing 3,more boost less octane, nowhere near the same knock

http://www.bigdynodatabase.com/DynoG...INTANI_COM.jpg
But your example is smoothing setting 3 and my dyno is standard smoothing 1. My shop and BPM both confirmed its nothing to worry about. I've driven the car for 1,100 miles and I am sure if it was knock it would have shown up in other ways. Any suggestions that would help are appreciated.

Last edited by Mvy; 10-31-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #148
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is the recommended replacement? The VAC bearings with increased gap?
How about moving this to one of the numerous bearing threads instead? Everything turns bearings and this is for the Harrop SC reviews/questions.

Appreciate 1
KawBoy154.50
      11-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #149
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But your example is smoothing setting 3 and my dyno is standard smoothing 1. My shop and BPM both confirmed its nothing to worry about. I've driven the car for 1,100 miles and I am sure if it was knock it would have shown up in other ways. Any suggestions that would help are appreciated.
Thats not what smoothing and standard are. smoothing is universal throughout dynojet's to "smooth" out the "curve". "Standard" is the correction factor and doesnt matter in this case as its just a HP figure derived from conditions.

I suggest you look into the knock issue sooner than later. Investigate for yourself, see how many other dyno's have that rough of a curve. I would bet your about to be another victim of broken pistons/rod disguised as a "rod bearing" issue.

I would stay away from any "shop" or "tuner" saying that is "normal"

Dont say you havent been warned.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #150
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats not what smoothing and standard are. smoothing is universal throughout dynojet's to "smooth" out the "curve". "Standard" is the correction factor and doesnt matter in this case as its just a HP figure derived from conditions.

I suggest you look into the knock issue sooner than later. Investigate for yourself, see how many other dyno's have that rough of a curve. I would bet your about to be another victim of broken pistons/rod disguised as a "rod bearing" issue.

I would stay away from any "shop" or "tuner" saying that is "normal"

Dont say you havent been warned.
OK, so how do I check and what would you do then?

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #151
332ijunkie
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 87 M52 E30, M52 E36

Quote:
OK, so how do I check and what would you do then?
I would do a log for starters. Watch what ing advance is doing on all 8 cylinders...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #152
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Does Mike have a different tune for this or similar exhaust setups?
      11-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #153
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Does Mike have a different tune for this or similar exhaust setups?
Yes. When you purchase the kit it asks you what type of set up you have so the correct tune ships with the kit.

Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      11-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #154
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes. When you purchase the kit it asks you what type of set up you have so the correct tune ships with the kit.
As someone else stated, logging is the best course of action. I just saw you have a canned tune. Not the best idea
Appreciate 0