BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #89
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
It's great to see that Swamp and myself are in total agreement over all of the improvements with the new upgrade. Every opinion on how each different discipline is experience also seems to be the same.

One other thing I noticed today while seeing if the short shift was cured as the best way to get your M3 off the line without using Launch Control. Without a doubt the stumping on the throttle while stationary is not the best way, all that happens is a build up in revs and lots of wheel spin. No I found that a very brief push of the throttle, just enough to get the car rolling and then pressing the throttle steadily to full throttle, say about 1/3 of a second produced near zero wheel spin and an acceleration which was blistering. I am not completely sure but without sampling LC I can't believe it will be that much quicker.

On the next good dry day I promise to set both this method, dumping the throttle and LC against the iPhone program and will post my findings.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #90
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Man I need to get my car in there.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #91
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajj View Post
the surge is great, but the reason i believe they got rid of it is that it can be dangerous in my experience. when accelerating at WOT at high speeds (100+ mph), the car "skips" a little when shifting gears due to this surge. this is since the increased force is not all forward...but in fact, it appears to give the car a small diagonal force vector...i.e. small lateral component . this causes the car(at least mine) to slightly "skip" laterally and briefly lose traction at high speeds when traversing in a straight line. i think car and driver described it as "losing its composure". this can be a bit unnerving in my experience.
I can see this, although my experience is that the surge really only surges in the forward direction. Can you point out the article you mention? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #92
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Does the car still start out in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #93
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It's great to see that Swamp and myself are in total agreement over all of the improvements with the new upgrade. Every opinion on how each different discipline is experience also seems to be the same.

One other thing I noticed today while seeing if the short shift was cured as the best way to get your M3 off the line without using Launch Control. Without a doubt the stumping on the throttle while stationary is not the best way, all that happens is a build up in revs and lots of wheel spin. No I found that a very brief push of the throttle, just enough to get the car rolling and then pressing the throttle steadily to full throttle, say about 1/3 of a second produced near zero wheel spin and an acceleration which was blistering. I am not completely sure but without sampling LC I can't believe it will be that much quicker.

On the next good dry day I promise to set both this method, dumping the throttle and LC against the iPhone program and will post my findings.

I noticed this too. Just turn DSC off and manage the wheelspin yourself. However, since I have not tried LC and do beleive it has some bugs before it is premature to say human>computer. If the new DCT better manages the clutch drop and uses DSC to manage the wheelspin there is absolutely no reason it won't be much more consistent and perform better than a human can.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #94
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
Does the car still start out in manual mode?
Yes, unfortunately...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #95
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Man I need to get my car in there.
WOW, just got my car back, what an amazing improvement. There's now more anticipation necessary for shifting, it happens when you tell it to. I tried a few threshold braking shifts, and they were all executed, but I'll have to wait to see it on the track next month.
      10-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #96
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I can see this, although my experience is that the surge really only surges in the forward direction. Can you point out the article you mention? Thanks.
can't verify there is a small lateral force vector, or if the additional force is just not evenly distributed to the wheels, but my car appears to slightly "skip" sideways when shifting under wot high speed conditions. scared the crap out of me the first time this happened as i was well over 100mph. the article i was referring actually states that "when M DCT finally does shift, it often slams into gear so violently it upsets the car."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r_+page-2.html
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #97
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I remember mentioning this very problem with have surge prior to anyone outside of BMW actually driving one. Do you remember Swamp?

I said at the time that surge would cause the car to become unsettled if it happened in a corner. Well what do you know, that is exactly what happens, though when it happened to me it was only at about 40mph going into 2rd gear and on a slightly damp surface. The lateral skip I think is purely the traction being broke causing the tail to move but the effect could be unnerving at big speeds, plus the reason I think it is happening is because the corner isn't sharp enough to cause the kind of lateral G for the computer to stop the surge (which the system is suppose to do).

ajj,

Am I correct in thinking the corner it happened on was slight, not enough to have a decent amount of steering lock?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #98
grayshrk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Graphite E92 M3 DCT

Swamp - My car is also at Irvine BMW getting the update. I'm very happy to hear that everything went well with your car and they seem to know what they're doing. Unfortunately I gave the SA a little grief yesterday because I had just had the car in for the break-in service on Tuesday of this week and they didn't mention the update being released. I guess it's my fault for not checking the forum prior to taking the car in for service. Anyway, after reading these posts, I'm really looking forward to picking the car up later.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #99
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayshrk View Post
Swamp - My car is also at Irvine BMW getting the update. I'm very happy to hear that everything went well with your car and they seem to know what they're doing. Unfortunately I gave the SA a little grief yesterday because I had just had the car in for the break-in service on Tuesday of this week and they didn't mention the update being released. I guess it's my fault for not checking the forum prior to taking the car in for service. Anyway, after reading these posts, I'm really looking forward to picking the car up later.
Our local dealer didn't get the software until wednesday according to the techs, so it might not have shown up unless you had a puma case.
      10-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #100
ajj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: dct e92 m3

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking the corner it happened on was slight, not enough to have a decent amount of steering lock?
actually happened to me a couple times on a straight road...when it happens at low speed, doesn't really bother me, but at high speeds, it really is very disconcerting.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #101
grayshrk
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, it turns out the reprogramming crashed while in process with my car at Irvine BMW. They've got it going again but it still has 4+ hours to run according to my SA. Looks like I won't be picking up my car tonight after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #102
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember mentioning this very problem with have surge prior to anyone outside of BMW actually driving one. Do you remember Swamp?

I said at the time that surge would cause the car to become unsettled if it happened in a corner. Well what do you know, that is exactly what happens, though when it happened to me it was only at about 40mph going into 2rd gear and on a slightly damp surface. The lateral skip I think is purely the traction being broke causing the tail to move but the effect could be unnerving at big speeds, plus the reason I think it is happening is because the corner isn't sharp enough to cause the kind of lateral G for the computer to stop the surge (which the system is suppose to do).

ajj,

I do recall this discussion. However, there is much more to this.

The amount of surge is directly related to both the mode and the amount of throttle so in some ways it is user controllable. Secondly the DSC system on the car should be smart enough to lessen the surge when cornering even if all of the other inputs call for a large surge. BMW has directly promoted a similar feature that automatically engages the disengaged clutch when cornering if engine drag creates a brake induced oversteer condition. I don't quite recall if the reduction of surge from shifting during cornering is an official capability of the car, can you quote anything on this? I know this has been discussed.

If the diff is operating properly and a straight line is being taken the surge should not cause any sideways forces on the car. If it does that is a problem.

Either way, the surge is still the fastest shift style when fractions of a second count.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #103
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayshrk View Post
Well, it turns out the reprogramming crashed while in process with my car at Irvine BMW. They've got it going again but it still has 4+ hours to run according to my SA. Looks like I won't be picking up my car tonight after all.
Mine had to stay overnight as well. I really can't believe the time it takes to send software. 5+ hours. Unreal. The possibilities to me seem straightforward:

1. Gigabytes of code.
2. A data transfer protocol/bit rate from the 1980s.

Neither of which seem likely. Oh well not really something to spend much time thining or worrying about despite how odd.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #104
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Got the update installed today, there is definately an improvement. The shifts are almost seamless in the lower S Modes with half throttle. In S5, it shift but not as dramatic when flooring it but still very fun. Also the initial lag or hesitation is gone when you first step on the pedal. Good work BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #105
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKSigua View Post
Also the initial lag or hesitation is gone when you first step on the pedal.
I did not notice a change here in the responsiveness of the pedal during low to medium speed take offs. Again for clarity purposes I would not call this identified occurence "lag". I will have another "feel".
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #106
grayshrk
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine had to stay overnight as well. I really can't believe the time it takes to send software. 5+ hours. Unreal. The possibilities to me seem straightforward:

1. Gigabytes of code.

Neither of which seem likely. Oh well not really something to spend much time thining or worrying about despite how odd.
No doubt. When they told me it was an all day job I thought they were kidding or padding the estimate. There must be some serious validation testing taking place for it to take so long.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #107
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:

1. Gigabytes of code.

Maybe they analyze line by line or bit by bit? Uploading the data at a high rate of speed probably isn't an issue, but calculating each line of code and analyzing as you are doing it probably takes some serious processing power.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #108
newtom3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Maybe they analyze line by line or bit by bit? Uploading the data at a high rate of speed probably isn't an issue, but calculating each line of code and analyzing as you are doing it probably takes some serious processing power.
uh, no. the cpu power to calculate the correctness of data is not alot even for a ten year old controller. It probably is quite a bit of a code going over a slow serial link for reliability... you'd think they would have snuck in a 10/100 ethernet chip in there... its like $2.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #109
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtom3 View Post
uh, no. the cpu power to calculate the correctness of data is not alot even for a ten year old controller. It probably is quite a bit of a code going over a slow serial link for reliability... you'd think they would have snuck in a 10/100 ethernet chip in there... its like $2.
I don't know, do we really know how many lines of code this ECU is? Maybe they download and analyze the program already there before uploading the new one? I don't think going over that much code is really that quick. I don't mean calculating if software installed is correct, but analyzing the logs and if anything has been changed probably takes a while.

Look at how long a decent virus scanner takes, even on a SSD.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #110
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

With modern tech, 4 hours is a very long time given the amount of info involved. A virus scanner would scan that amount of data in minutes...
Appreciate 0