BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

06-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Oil analysis

So a few months ago i decided to pull the trigger on a 2011 e92 m3 with 19k miles. Hearing about the rod bearing problems in these cars at low miles i decided to do an oil analysis, here are the results. Cant be happier

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 11 M3-060616 (1).pdf (17.6 KB, 101 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I don't think that the estimate in the comments is any worth. Your MY2011 already has the stiffer rod bearings that do not have a brass/copper core. So, you won't get any warning signs like with the old bearings on which when the plating was gone, there was an imediate increase in copper levels. That is what the "proper balance" aimed at, BTW.

On the other hand, the newer type bearings may last much longer than with older model years. And at 20.000 miles, there should not be any problems at all.
      06-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
I don't think that the estimate in the comments is any worth. Your MY2011 already has the stiffer rod bearings that do not have a brass/copper core. So, you won't get any warning signs like with the old bearings on which when the plating was gone, there was an imediate increase in copper levels. That is what the "proper balance" aimed at, BTW.

On the other hand, the newer type bearings may last much longer than with older model years. And at 20.000 miles, there should not be any problems at all.
The newer bearings will show warning sign numbers in increased ppm levels of aluminum .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

I have been told that there is no plating, so they don't show any sure signs - certainly not at 20.000 miles.

Matter-of-fact I have not seen any badly worn bearings on a 2011+ MY. There is an ongoing thread with pictures of bearings that have been changed here:

http://www.m-forum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=63900

They even have a compilation of all MYs, mileage and pictures here.

There are few 2011+ cars and the bearings look much better than the older ones - even if some of them have been tracked.
      06-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I have been told that there is no plating, so they don't show any sure signs - certainly not at 20.000 miles.

Matter-of-fact I have not seen any badly worn bearings on a 2011+ MY. There is an ongoing thread with pictures of bearings that have been changed here:

http://www.m-forum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=63900

They even have a compilation of all MYs, mileage and pictures here.

There are few 2011+ cars and the bearings look much better than the older ones - even if some of them have been tracked.
If they are better , why we/I saw them blown on 2013's with only 6K miles on it ?
The younger they are with the newer bearings.. they fail with less miles on it than the older version .
We/I see them blown from 2007 till today, no matter with what kind of bearings =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
But I need to say we/I saw them with +200K on it..as well .
Let's call it a German lottery .

EDIT: What do they say in Germany about the new 10W60 ///M Twin-Turbo oil for our S65 ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

I think that it partly relates to how the engine is used. I have seen very few cases of blown motors at such low mileage, those do not neccessarily have to be rod-bearing related, maybe monday production cars...

In the link you have posted, most of the failures occured at 60.000+ miles, which is when the same issue surfaced on M5 E60s.

Once my car reaches 50.000 miles, I will again look at the then-current lists to see if more 2011+ models show up with worn bearings. If they do, I will have them changed, no big deal at $1500. I pay the same amount for a set of decent tyres.
      06-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I think that it partly relates to how the engine is used. I have seen very few cases of blown motors at such low mileage, those do not neccessarily have to be rod-bearing related, maybe monday production cars...

In the link you have posted, most of the failures occured at 60.000+ miles, which is when the same issue surfaced on M5 E60s.

Once my car reaches 50.000 miles, I will again look at the then-current lists to see if more 2011+ models show up with worn bearings. If they do, I will have them changed, no big deal at $1500. I pay the same amount for a set of decent tyres.
The day that I need to change my bearings I come to Germany because I don't trust it in Belgium => http://www.der-bmw-spezialist.de/m-k...mw-m3-e90-s65/
Do you know them ?

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #8
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

I have no personal experience with the bearings yet, but Mork is one of the often-heard recommended addresses for this in Germany, as is Henni Performance. There are also a few very experienced users in the M-Forum who do this for other members, among them http://www.m3-schmiede.de - they did the TA lubrication for me.

Mork is very near to you and a safe bet. I heard they have a long waiting list for this work.
      06-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I have no personal experience with the bearings yet, but Mork is one of the often-heard recommended addresses for this in Germany, as is Henni Performance. There are also a few very experienced users in the M-Forum who do this for other members, among them http://www.m3-schmiede.de - they did the TA lubrication for me.

Mork is very near to you and a safe bet. I heard they have a long waiting list for this work.
I really appreciate your information .
Good to know that I was right about Mork's S65 knowledge .
Thank you

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

You are welcome! Oh, I saw your question about the oild just now: BMW has changed their oil supplier, I believe it is Shell now instead of Castrol.

With the now-current downsizing, they had to accomodate for M turbo engines as well - actually the M5 F10 uses normal 0W40 AFAIK, since TWS 10W60 did not work for it. I think this is more like having a special M-oil in order to grab more money - BMW could have stayed at 0W40 for the newer Turbo-Ms IMHO, but hey, who are they to turn our money down?

That being said, I have the original Shell 10W60 in my car right now, since I do every other oil service in-between the proposed change intervals. There is a shop chain called Mr.Wash here that does to whole oil change for M cars all-inclusive for 99€ - and they use Shell oil. BMW has released a newer, longer list of M oil options even a while before they changed their supplier and Shell is on that list (don't remember the exact type).
      06-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
You are welcome! Oh, I saw your question about the oild just now: BMW has changed their oil supplier, I believe it is Shell now instead of Castrol.

With the now-current downsizing, they had to accomodate for M turbo engines as well - actually the M5 F10 uses normal 0W40 AFAIK, since TWS 10W60 did not work for it. I think this is more like having a special M-oil in order to grab more money - BMW could have stayed at 0W40 for the newer Turbo-Ms IMHO, but hey, who are they to turn our money down?

That being said, I have the original Shell 10W60 in my car right now, since I do every other oil service in-between the proposed change intervals. There is a shop chain called Mr.Wash here that does to whole oil change for M cars all-inclusive for 99€ - and they use Shell oil. BMW has released a newer, longer list of M oil options even a while before they changed their supplier and Shell is on that list (don't remember the exact type).
I asked about the oil because my BMW/Dealer did my last oil change (last year in november) also with the 10W60 ///M Twin-Power , and I knew it was made by Shell .
I really wonder if it is better than the Castrol-Edge ?
Hope it's better because I know about the worldwide S65 bearing troubles.
But think only the future will tell..

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
newb question but at what "MY" did they switch from Copper base to the newer style Rod Bearings?
      06-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #13
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep

The new part numbers were available from 06/2010, more information is here.

I think all models with Start-Stop system (I think since 03/2010) should have the new bearings, but I don't know exactly. Build dates from 2011 definitely have them. However, your american "model years" are more of a marketing term than real build dates.

Last edited by meyergru; 06-13-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0