BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Arrow North Face Jacket Question

my aunt wants to buy me a jacket for the fall. so i went to x2 stores on x-mas eve and found nothing but an apex bionic jacket which i loved. i look on the site and they offer three variations which i like but since i couldn't see the other two in stores maybe you guys can help me out.

do all apex jackets have the stretchy feel like the bionic jacket?
and what is the difference from the bionic jacket and bionic thermal jacket?

the only difference i see is the thermal on the back for the bionic thermal. does that mean the inside of the jacket is the fury material and thicker?

all black links:
relativity:http://thenorthface.com/opencms/open...0K&language=en
bionic: http://thenorthface.com/opencms/open...5C&language=en
bionic thermal: http://thenorthface.com/opencms/open...0L&language=en

PS: happy xmas and new year

Last edited by hl0m4n; 12-25-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

i don't know if the apex means anything. maybe some links to the product would help.

with the thermal version you'll get a thicker fleece lining.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

The bionic thermal is heavier.

I own the reg bionic jacket. It isn't good for much, as it doesn't breathe at all. I use it apre ski when I'm sitting around drinking beer. Other than that, it gets clammy fast. I generally don't like it.

Do you want a heavy coat? What do you want the coat / jacket for? Just knocking around, or do you ski/ride at all? If you just want something really warm for walking around, check out some of the synthetic down jackets from Mtn Hardwear, North Face, Marmot, Salomon, Marker, Burton or Spyder. They're not real bulky, but they are warm. Ounce for ounce down is warmer, but they are poofy.

If you want something more technical, check out some of the Mountain Hardwear on REI.com - they have a couple good systems of fleece / shell.

Also look for softshells, and if money is no object, check out some from Arc'teryx - this one is bad-ass
http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC...cket-Mens.html
definately my among my first choices in general jackets.

This is another good jacket - http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC...cket-Mens.html

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

thanks man. i just want a coat that i can simply wear for the fall. just a quick non-heavy slip on. do you know if the bionic thermal is same inner and outer material as the regular?

im wondering if the bionic thermal has the furry back lining to keep warm.

does the thermal one breathe compared to the regular bionic? style wise i really want an apex for the fall. simple and clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Neither the Bionic or Bionic thermal breathe. They're designed as a base layer for high altitude cold climbing, where it's so dry that moisture will evap easier.

Check out the Arc'Tyrex stuff as a good fall jacket. The softshell material is sooooo nice, they breath better than GoreTex, and they make a great waterproof layer when the weather turns cold. The Arc'Tyrex is created as climbing gear for the more mild conditions - it is a fitted cut, it's a softshell (meaning it stretches with you as you move), and it's generally a great jacket. You'll have the jacket for a VERY long time. They're bombproof.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Neither the Bionic or Bionic thermal breathe. They're designed as a base layer for high altitude cold climbing, where it's so dry that moisture will evap easier.

Check out the Arc'Tyrex stuff as a good fall jacket. The softshell material is sooooo nice, they breath better than GoreTex, and they make a great waterproof layer when the weather turns cold. The Arc'Tyrex is created as climbing gear for the more mild conditions - it is a fitted cut, it's a softshell (meaning it stretches with you as you move), and it's generally a great jacket. You'll have the jacket for a VERY long time. They're bombproof.
do you know if the thermal is different inner lining? they are both waterproof and windproof though.

the arc is mad pricey for me

happy x-mas.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

I think they're the same inner lining - the thermal is just heavier / thicker. My bionic has a soft fuzzy lining too.

Check any softshell. Arc't are the top of the game, but there are a lot of good makers out there. Columbia is very respectable gear. I like Marmot, Mtn Hardwear, Salomon, Burton, Marker, ....north face isn't bad, but it's pricey for what it is, .....look around. But consider a softshell. Anything that says "windproof" and not "breathable" is going to get clamy. GoreTex is a great thing to look for to get the best of both worlds.

Merry Christmas!

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

never understood why kids buy those 500dolllar northface jackets....I know yours is just a simple thermal, but I know some friends that are 19 with a $500 jacket but no car lol
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
never understood why kids buy those 500dolllar northface jackets....I know yours is just a simple thermal, but I know some friends that are 19 with a $500 jacket but no car lol
Who me?

I buy all my own, and use them in places where my life depends on my gear. And I'm 32.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
well since they're car-less, i'm guessing they would walk most of the time
so $500 for a really warm jacket is worth it i guess....rather than have them walking and freezing to death at the same time
      12-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Who me?

I buy all my own, and use them in places where my life depends on my gear. And I'm 32.
my comment wasn't pointed towards you, I was just thinking of some of my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi View Post
well since they're car-less, i'm guessing they would walk most of the time
so $500 for a really warm jacket is worth it i guess....rather than have them walking and freezing to death at the same time
lol yeah I guess....but if I were in there shoes I'd save my 500bucks towards a car or something
Appreciate 0