BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM
Closed Thread

07-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #749
Xchange43
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's a two seater, and about 4inches shorter than a 2er and a foot shorter than an F32. Likely sixteen or so inches shorter than the G32.
So it's kind of closer to a BRZ than a old day supra
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #750
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchange43 View Post
Quote:
It's a two seater, and about 4inches shorter than a 2er and a foot shorter than an F32. Likely sixteen or so inches shorter than the G32.
So it's kind of closer to a BRZ than a old day supra
Well it's six inches longer than the four seat BRZ and four inches shorter than a four seat Mk4. So really, it's just more of a two seater Mk4.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #751
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

PER: Carscoops

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/20...r-engine-well/

"After discovering a document from German transmission manufacturer ZF that showed that the A90 Supra will be powered by not one but two engine options, Road & Track got a confirmation from none other than Supra chief engineer Tetsuya Tada that this is indeed happening.

The document revealed that the lowered-powered version of the 2019 Toyota A90 Supra will use the BMW-sourced turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder B48B20 engine producing 262hp. The six-cylinder version is packing the single-turbo 3.0-liter B58B30 unit with 335hp. Both variants will be paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission, at least according to the discovered document.

Tada elaborated on the four-cylinder Supra, saying that it will be lighter and with much better weight distribution and a sharper-feeling turn-in. The Supra’s chief engineer also added that, for customers planning to swap in a 2JZ engine, “please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper.”"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #752
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

That would seem to ignore any iron block talk. I wonder if Toyota will follow BMW's model of offering smaller brakes and possibly a weaker transmission in the four banger, or if the only difference will be the motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #753
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Has there been any speculation on where the C8 is going to start? If it's within $10k of this car, that just about spells the end of the Supra.
I don't think it is going to be cheap. Its been spotted testing with the $190k 911 turbo S. Some media has reported it will not be replacing the C7, but will be sold along side it and above it as the "Zora".

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #754
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Toyota Is Benchmarking the Supra Against the Porsche Cayman

Quote:
The man behind the Supra gives us the lowdown on everything, even the Viper ACR-esque fender vents.

There were lots of cool cars and cool people in attendance at this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed, but few were more exciting than the new Toyota Supra and its chief engineer, Tetsuya Tada. We've already seen the Supra as a GTE race-car concept before, and we've spoken to Tada, but this was our first opportunity to pick his brain with the real street car in the metal. Here's what we learned.

In person, the Supra is tiny, but with a muscular stance—Tada actually notes that it has a shorter wheelbase than the 86, another car he masterminded. You also notice tons of cool aerodynamic components throughout the car, which here, are covered up with fake plastic vents.

There's a vent just under the headlight, which seems to direct air over the front wheels. Tada says this will be removable in the production car, "in case the user wants to make a racing version." Additionally, there's a vent just above the front wheel on the hood, that Tada says is there to increase downforce. To us, it looks like a smaller version of what you'd see on a Porsche 911 GT3 RS or a Dodge Viper ACR.

On the door, there's an upswept line that flows really smoothly into the rear fender. That's also a vent, one that Tada told us will help with brake cooling, and "maybe downforce too." There's a big diffuser, which is functional. And that double-bubble roof design isn't just a callback to Toyota's first inline-six sports car, the 2000GT; it helps get air to the integrated spoiler mounted on the hatchback trunk lid.

Tada noted that the Supra was designed with GTE racing in mind, as shown by the race-car concept we saw earlier this year, and all these aero devices will help make it competition-ready. You'll also notice that the Supra has a very small frontal area, and a wider rear, just like another car designed with GTE regulations in mind, the Ford GT. Tada wouldn't confirm where the Supra will race, but we wouldn't be surprised to see it in the World Endurance Championship. Possibly even the 24 Hours of Le Mans, as soon as next year.

While aero was our main focus, Tada also shared some other details on the Supra. The tires are being developed by Michelin for the Supra (and its BMW platform-mate, the Z4), and they're 275mm wide at the back and 255mm wide at the front. Wheels are 19 inches all around. Interestingly, the brakes don't use slotted or drilled discs, as so many sports cars do today. Tada says this improves durability, but eventually, Toyota will offer some sort of upgraded brake package with drilled discs.

Tada wouldn't pop the hood, but he assured me that the Supra's BMW-sourced straight-six sits well behind the front axle, giving the car 50-50 weight distribution. And speaking of BMW stuff, we weren't allowed to take pictures of the interior, but from what we could see, there was lots of hardware from the German brand.

Talking to other Toyota personnel at Goodwood, it becomes clear that the Supra won't be a twin of the Z4, though. The Supra will be much more hardcore and track-focused, and Tada added that it'd be "more serious" than the drift-happy 86. And even though it's front-engine, Tada is benchmarking it against the mid-engine Porsche Cayman—he thinks you'll be able to compare the two, in terms of feel.

And, of course, we asked if there'd be a manual transmission. Tada wouldn't say one way or the other, but it doesn't seem like it's happening. But, you can hold out some hope, as BMW will reportedly offer the Z4 with a manual, so it's mechanically possible for the Supra to get one at some point. That doesn't seem to be in the plans, though.

There's still a lot to learn about the Supra, and Toyota will tease out more details over the coming months. Regardless, a picture is emerging, and it's one of a very serious sports car. Tada said we need to drive it, and we couldn't agree more.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...view-goodwood/
Appreciate 1
420Coupe222.50
      07-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #755
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
I don't think it is going to be cheap. Its been spotted testing with the $190k 911 turbo S. Some media has reported it will not be replacing the C7, but will be sold along side it and above it as the "Zora".

i would think that would be the Z06 version; even then though i would think low 100s.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #756
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Has there been any speculation on where the C8 is going to start? If it's within $10k of this car, that just about spells the end of the Supra.
I don't think it is going to be cheap. Its been spotted testing with the $190k 911 turbo S. Some media has reported it will not be replacing the C7, but will be sold along side it as the "Zora".

I'm not sure that this is good news, as it would likely spell even cheaper C7 pricing.

Further, with all the patent data floating around for six cylinder C8's it would seem that they could offer one at a pretty cheap price point while leaving the Zora plenty of room at the top.

Since the C7 is pretty long in the tooth, it would seem like we'd have seen a C9, or whatever, front engine replacement at least once if the C8 wasn't just going to supersede it.

Either way, 335hp and 3,200lbs isn't going to get it done against a Cayman or a Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #757
supra93
Colonel
Rep

All I know is that C7 isn't even all that old. Your typical Corvette has like a more or less 8 year life-cycle. The C7 is only reaching half of that and supposedly the "mid engine Corvette will debut next year at Detroit. So imo this also adds on to some of the report that this car is not replacing the front engine Corevtte, but instead will be a new separate model and become Chevy's new flagship.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #758
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Great now there is a bmw 4 cylinder option on the new supra. The Japanese sport car glory days are over(gtr needs a refresh). The domestics seems to be stepping it up more with "fun cars"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #759
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Either way, 335hp and 3,200lbs isn't going to get it done against a Cayman or a Corvette.
According to insiders that's wrong, its 350hp and 3,100lbs. No match for the C7, but I think its a better buy than your Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #760
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Dimensions

A90
Wheelbase 2,470 mm (97.2 in)
Length 4380 mm (172.4 in)
Width 1855 mm (73 in)
Height 1,290 mm (50.8 in)

A80
Wheelbase 2,550 mm (100.4 in)
Length 4,515 mm (177.8 in)
Width 1,811 mm (71.3 in)
Height 1,265 mm (49.8 in)

Differences
Wheelbase -80 mm (-3.2 in)
Length -135 mm (-5.4 in)
Width +44mm (+1.7 in)
Height +25 mm (+1 in)

G29 Z4
Wheelbase: 2,470 mm (97.2 in)
Length: 4,320 mm (170.1 in)
Width: 1,861 mm (73.3 in)
Height: 1,303 mm (51.3 in)

Differences
Wheelbase: None Supra = Z4
Length: 60 mm (2.3 in) Supra+
Width: 6 mm (.3 in) Z4+
Height: 13 mm (.5 in) Z4+
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #761
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
According to insiders that's wrong, its 350hp and 3,100lbs. No match for the C7, but I think its a better buy than your Cayman S.
I'll believe that weight only after it's independently proven. Which is kinda like saying 'uh uh' in my three year old's voice.

But more realistically, power will be higher than stated, as that's just the nature of German turbo mills.

718s is 350/3150.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #762
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll believe that weight only after it's independently proven. Which is kinda like saying 'uh uh' in my three year old's voice.

But more realistically, power will be higher than stated, as that's just the nature of German turbo mills.

718s is 350/3150.
All I can say is that was what Moto-san said on his FB page. And for those don't know, hes a really good friend of Tada-san's.

So the same as the Cayman S, but like $10k-$15k cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #763
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

718s is 350/3150.
All I can say is that was what Moto-san said on his FB page. And for those don't know, hes a really good friend of Tada-san's.
I'm sure there will be a version that's 3,100 pounds. But the odds of the US six cylinder being that version are exceedingly low, in my opinion. At least in the standard method of a full tank of gas and all fluids. Ferrari claims their weight dry, as if that means something.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #764
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oh, and nearly anything is a better value than a 718, at least on paper.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #765
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Five Generations Of Toyota Supra Together For The First Time

http://media.toyota.co.uk/2018/07/fi...he-first-time/

Quote:
  • World first as all five generations of Toyota Supra come together
  • British Toyota Supra owners get exclusive access to new A90 Supra prototype
  • Sports car introduced by Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada
  • A select group of classic Toyota Supra owners from the UK have become amongst the first car fans in the world to get close up and personal with the all-new version of the iconic sports car.

The behind-closed-doors event in Sussex saw all four famous generations of the sports car brought together with the new fifth generation car for the first time anywhere in the world.

Toyota invited a group of Supra super-fans to an evening event with Tetsuya Tada, in which the chief engineer of the new A90 Supra gave owners of all four previous generations an exclusive introduction to the camouflaged prototype.

The top secret, invite-only event occurred during the long weekend of the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed, where the keenly anticipated new fifth-generation Supra made its world debut.

Earlier in the day, Tada-san had given thousands of enthusiasts an early taste of the vehicle’s dynamic performance by driving up the famous festival hill course, after which the prototype was whisked away to another location in West Sussex for its exclusive static showing.

A total of 50 immaculately presented Supra models from all four generations had been invited to attend in anticipation of the new A90 Supra’s arrival.

The majority of the 84 owners and guests arrived in fourth-generation models, from highly sought-after UK-specification models with manual gearboxes, to examples that illustrated the enduring popularity and immense tuning potential of the iconic 2JZ straight-six engine. Also in attendance were eight third-generation models in both original and facelifted guise, four angular second-generation models, and a single first-generation model – one of only two examples of the Celica Supra known to exist in the UK.

Tada-san drove the new A90 Supra into the building to rapturous applause from the enthusiasts. He positioned it on a rotating stand and then proudly introduced his “new baby” to the crowd as the culmination of six years of development. It was a moment that marked the first time that all five generations of Toyota Supra had ever appeared together in public.

During the course of the evening, Tada-san was eager to mingle with the guests and chat openly about the A90 project. As an enthusiast himself, he was equally eager to hear from existing owners about what Supra means to them and gain a greater understanding of their expectations for this next chapter in the model’s history.

Commenting on the weekend, Tada-san revealed: “I’m just so happy that we’ve made it to this point. I’ve finally been able to reveal the car to the UK; it’s the happiest day of my life. And to drive it up the hill at Goodwood was a really exciting experience.”

Toyota expects its new Supra to reach the market during the first half of 2019.

EDITOR’S NOTES:

The first Supra was produced in 1978 as the flagship derivative of the contemporary Celica but it was never sold in the UK. The second-generation Celica Supra arrived in the UK in August 1982 and was replaced by the standalone third-generation Supra model in July 1986. The fourth-generation Supra was launched in August 1993 but discontinued in the UK in 1996. Low-volume production of the Mk4 Supra continued in Japan for the domestic market until July 2002.

UK sales figures:

1982-1985 Celica Supra (4,132 units)
1986-1993 Supra (11,551 Units)
1994-1996 Supra (623 units)

Appreciate 1
420Coupe222.50
      07-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #766
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure there will be a version that's 3,100 pounds. But the odds of the US six cylinder being that version are exceedingly low, in my opinion. At least in the standard method of a full tank of gas and all fluids. Ferrari claims their weight dry, as if that means something.
A70TTR has also said the iron block six cylinder base/barebones model comes in at around 3,100 lbs. Don't shot the messenger , but yeah, lets just waiting for the official press.
Appreciate 1
EDWYER1667.50
      07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #767
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Assuming either of us will live to see that day.

And I can see a low spec, JP model with a liter of gas in the tank weighing that little, bit doubt a US spec one will come in anywhere near that weight. I'd love to be wrong, but with BMW listing weight of a soft top Z4 at over 3,300, I just don't see it happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #768
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Assuming either of us will live to see that day.

And I can see a low spec, JP model with a liter of gas in the tank weighing that little, bit doubt a US spec one will come in anywhere near that weight. I'd love to be wrong, but with BMW listing weight of a soft top Z4 at over 3,300, I just don't see it happening.
Well I'm only 30

That's the thing, Moto has said this car is just not a reskin Z4. His comments were "the unibody is very different from a Z4 and is significantly lighter."
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #769
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
However why anyone would get this over the equivalent BMW would be beyond me.
For those that want:

1. Hardtop
2. Less weight
3. Cheaper MSRP as hinted by even this forum's insider and mod.
4. Some people may like the styling over the Z4.
Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 1
EDWYER1667.50
      07-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #770
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Lights looks like a RARIII
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread