BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-26-2024, 02:26 PM   #1739
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines but figured I would plunge ahead and accept going into it an imperfect outcome. Put mine in a year ago. Lost my backup camera because the connections were different and haven’t bothered to resolve. Sound quality is pretty good, so much better than accessory plug in but I do occasionally have clipping on high volume music. Calls are over the factory interface still and fine. Never bothered to install the mr12volt mic and living without talk to text. Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic given reports of problems with that but I would get it if I was starting from zero today.

To be fair and in comparison, Even the modern bmw factory interface on newer cars is buggy and frankly a disappointment, so it’s not a deal-breaker in my mind for this mod to not 100% deliver. (My Toyotas from a decade ago had more reliable software, as well as a late decade Chevy volt - why BMW still can’t deliver on this is frustrating)
Thanks for your perspective. What does it mean when you say, "Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic"? In other words, what or where is "the factory mic"? I don't think I have one.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 03:01 PM   #1740
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Thanks for your perspective. What does it mean when you say, "Wouldn’t spend $400 on the newer integrated model that plugs into the factory mic"? In other words, what or where is "the factory mic"? I don't think I have one.
If you have ability to make calls in your car, the car has a factory microphone. Usually located in the top of the steering column shroud or in the plastic housing between the windshield and the sunroof in the roof. Either spot looks like a vented area 1” x 1” where there’s no reason otherwise for a vent.

What I mean is that having the 1 year old system in place that works sort of ok, I wouldn’t spend another $400 just to upgrade to a unit that integrates the factory microphone that also apparently has issues.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6730.00
Thumbie95.50
      02-27-2024, 03:38 AM   #1741
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
If you have ability to make calls in your car, the car has a factory microphone. Usually located in the top of the steering column shroud or in the plastic housing between the windshield and the sunroof in the roof. Either spot looks like a vented area 1” x 1” where there’s no reason otherwise for a vent.

What I mean is that having the 1 year old system in place that works sort of ok, I wouldn’t spend another $400 just to upgrade to a unit that integrates the factory microphone that also apparently has issues.
I posted this a while ago...

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=649

I've got the old box and although I still use the BMW Bluetooth for calls (very rare do I ever receive them while driving), but with this Y cable I can use Siri and Hey Google etc as it picks up my voice fine for that. Can't use it for voice calls though as it's just not good enough.
Saves spending $400, that you're not going to spend anyway!
Hope that helps

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6730.00
CamasM3e933177.50
      02-28-2024, 02:50 PM   #1742
banan4i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e61 530d LCI

Hey Guys!

Just to chime in to the topic…
I have the p2000 installed on my e61 lci late 2008 (last ccc + cic controller). So far - i have been using it for a week and actually everything is great!
All buttons work except the “call” button on the steering wheel and the 8 sensor buttons. I guess after an update they will be fixed or at least the 8 sensory buttons.

Audio is 1:1 with the factory one - i have the hi-fi audio with 6fl option from factory. No bass issue no nothing equalizer is at factory settings (flat) and is great. I was kind of missing the radio but installed a radio app on my phone and it works great as well.

What i am missing are the cameras, i am planning to install four but am still researching which ones and how to wire them the best.

Lastly, the apparent thing i am missing is a good quality mic. The mr12volt one really sucks and there is a lot of echo (i also did the echo cancellation procedure in p2000 settings) for the other person on the call. I have moved the oem one to the blank right grill infront of the dome light and installed the mr12volt one at the oem position. I tested a spare video mic that i had (i am a photographer) but seems the p2000 cannot hear anything from it. So now i am looking for a mic swap - anyone happy with a particular aftermarket one?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:53 AM   #1743
SVP
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by banan4i View Post
Hey Guys!

Just to chime in to the topic…
I have the p2000 installed on my e61 lci late 2008 (last ccc + cic controller). So far - i have been using it for a week and actually everything is great!
All buttons work except the “call” button on the steering wheel and the 8 sensor buttons. I guess after an update they will be fixed or at least the 8 sensory buttons.

Audio is 1:1 with the factory one - i have the hi-fi audio with 6fl option from factory. No bass issue no nothing equalizer is at factory settings (flat) and is great. I was kind of missing the radio but installed a radio app on my phone and it works great as well.

What i am missing are the cameras, i am planning to install four but am still researching which ones and how to wire them the best.

Lastly, the apparent thing i am missing is a good quality mic. The mr12volt one really sucks and there is a lot of echo (i also did the echo cancellation procedure in p2000 settings) for the other person on the call. I have moved the oem one to the blank right grill infront of the dome light and installed the mr12volt one at the oem position. I tested a spare video mic that i had (i am a photographer) but seems the p2000 cannot hear anything from it. So now i am looking for a mic swap - anyone happy with a particular aftermarket one?

Thanks!
I also have this issue (see my previous posts). When I use the OEM microphone using the original BMW call functionality, then I have perfect call quality. When I use the OEM microphone in AA/carplay mode (mr12volt), the call quality is much worse and the other side indeed hears an echo. It thus seems it has nothing to do with the microphone itself, but rather with the hardware and/or software in the MR12Volt box (I hope it is not the hardware such that it can be fixed with an update, as recently suggested by some other people in this thread).
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      03-01-2024, 08:49 AM   #1744
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Waiting on this echo issue with the factory mic to be resolved then I’ll most likely pull the trigger
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:02 AM   #1745
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
Waiting on this echo issue with the factory mic to be resolved then I’ll most likely pull the trigger
Same.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 11:28 AM   #1746
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Same.
The new CIC mr12volt unit (grey/greenish color) integrates the OEM mic and reviews are that it is much better. Still not as clear as the OEM system, but I believe one user said it is about 90% there.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:41 AM   #1747
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
The new CIC mr12volt unit (grey/greenish color) integrates the OEM mic and reviews are that it is much better. Still not as clear as the OEM system, but I believe one user said it is about 90% there.
I believe this is the version that still has the echo issue. Either it's hardware related so can't be fixed via firmware or we have to wait and hope a fix is released.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:19 PM   #1748
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
I believe this is the version that still has the echo issue. Either it's hardware related so can't be fixed via firmware or we have to wait and hope a fix is released.
Correct, but the consensus is that is has improved from the previous unit.

I will say, I have the previous unit (light blue) and people always say it sounds like I'm underwater, but keep in mind these 2 things:

1. They can still understand me and can hold conversations.
2. I don't really talk often while driving, my commute is 20 minutes each way and I like to play music.

So the issue doesn't really effect me personally. Everything else works fine on the mr12volt and I really like it. I have gone back and forth a LOT on buying the latest unit just to improve call quality a little bit, but right now I am happy with what I have.

Appreciate 1
a5m617.00
      03-10-2024, 06:29 PM   #1749
georg
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Hallo,
I installed today the Mr12Volt in my F11 with CIC.

I have one issue: if is song playing with Spotify or Apple Music and I press the Controller to choice a Apple Maps or phone or something other, it skip the next song in the background. Whatever I choice in CarPlay, they skip the next song.

I have the new one with OEM Micro support.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:30 AM   #1750
shadowmyst
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy_methoxy View Post
I had the same issue with the older version without oem microphone support.
They sent me the newer version with oem mic support and just like you the echo appears after a couple of minutes into the call.
Also the callers reported low volume of my voice with the oem mic solution.
Im still in contact with the support and check if they have any solution.
Interstingly im having this issue in my audi a6 c7 so it is not only a bmw specific problem.
Normally, I probably wouldn't post on a BWM forum when I own an Audi A6, but since you mentioned you have one with the same issues as your BWM model, I wanted to put in my specific 2 cents.

On my A6 C7 I increased the oem mic sensitivity in the green engineering menu to +6 db. That solved the low voice volume issue.

Do BWMs have a similar set up to experiment with?

When I informed Mr12Volt, they were quick to dismiss the idea that the units have an issue with oem mic signal degradation and that I need to use an aftermarket mic instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georg View Post
Hallo,
I installed today the Mr12Volt in my F11 with CIC.

I have one issue: if is song playing with Spotify or Apple Music and I press the Controller to choice a Apple Maps or phone or something other, it skip the next song in the background. Whatever I choice in CarPlay, they skip the next song.

I have the new one with OEM Micro support.
It happens with Android Auto also.

Last edited by shadowmyst; 03-16-2024 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
a5m617.00
      03-14-2024, 02:09 PM   #1751
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Welcome!

I don't think our BMWs have an option to adjust mic sensitivity...maybe I will dig around in the menus again but I feel like someone else would have mentioned it already.

I will test that theory, I purchased an aftermarket mic on Crutchfield for $25 and will install it soon. Will see if it makes a difference....stay tuned.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:15 AM   #1752
georg
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmyst View Post

It happens with Android Auto also.

That’s very sad.

I contacted Mr12Volt. Thaey send me a new Update file special for the new version with they grey housing. The update will be done with a USB stick.

I installed it today. The issue with skipping songs when press the ideive is much better. I have to push many times the idrive to right. Then it works great. Today I will install the microphone cable and report.

The microphone sensitivity can be settled at the I drive menu. But I don’t know if this has any changes at mr12Volt.
Appreciate 1
a5m617.00
      03-15-2024, 08:33 AM   #1753
shadowmyst
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
Welcome!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georg View Post
The microphone sensitivity can be settled at the I drive menu. But I don’t know if this has any changes at mr12Volt.
That sensitivity setting is not the one I am talking about. I am referring to the one in the hidden engineering menu (if BMWs have one that is).

That said, adjusting the db doesn't change anything on the new gray P2000 units, it is just compensating for the signal degradation that occurs.

As far as I am concerned, having to use an aftermarket mic defeats the point of making and/or using a device that integrates with the built in OEM mic.

Last edited by shadowmyst; 03-21-2024 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
a5m617.00
      03-18-2024, 10:11 AM   #1754
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Has anybody had an issue where there is suddenly no audio on the LEFT speakers (both front and rear lefts)? Had a Mr12Volt in my car for the last two years which was working great, all of a sudden yesterday the left side audio cut out, but the right side is fine.. Everything else looks fine on the screen, all functionality appears fine, there’s just no audio from the left side of the car. Spent a bit troubleshooting thinking it may be the BMW amp but it’s only an issue with the Mr12Volt as the audio source. Satellite, FM radio, and AUX in all work fine. Disconnected/reconnected everything with the Mr12Volt, re-flashed the latest firmware, reset to defaults, rebooted the CIC, checked the balance/fader. Reached out to their support chat but they want me to send a “video of the issue” (as if that’d help?!) and don’t seem to be of much help. Wondering if this unit went bad.

Last edited by brettcp; 03-18-2024 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 11:34 AM   #1755
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Has anybody had an issue where there is suddenly no audio on the LEFT speakers (both front and rear lefts)? Had a Mr12Volt in my car for the last two years which was working great, all of a sudden yesterday the left side audio cut out, but the right side is fine.. Everything else looks fine on the screen, all functionality appears fine, there’s just no audio from the left side of the car. Spent a bit troubleshooting thinking it may be the BMW amp but it’s only an issue with the Mr12Volt as the audio source. Satellite, FM radio, and AUX in all work fine. Disconnected/reconnected everything with the Mr12Volt, re-flashed the latest firmware, reset to defaults, rebooted the CIC, checked the balance/fader. Reached out to their support chat but they want me to send a “video of the issue” (as if that’d help?!) and don’t seem to be of much help. Wondering if this unit went bad.
What source of audio when you have this issue? Like which app, when it happens can you try a different app?

Just to make sure the source audio doesn't have issues, I've seen some youtube videos or IG reels, have messed up data that only has left or right audio.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 11:58 AM   #1756
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just finished the install today on my 09 with CIC. The only real issue im having is that my phone stays connected even after shutting the car off, or if I unlock the car to grab somthing real quick, it connects. I'm also having a hard time getting thr screen mirroring to work. I follow the steps on Mr12volt site, but it won't connect

And my only grip is that to switch to the next song using the steering wheel buttons, the down arrow is next and the up arrow is previous, not a big deal but dosent feel natural
2008 328i e93- 3SIM, StageFP tune, magna flow #12148 muffler + vibrant resonator, BMS filters, Bilstein B8s, H&R sport springs, ECS sway bars, whiteline rear subframe bushings, rouge engineering trans mounts, custco front strut bar, M3 front lower control arms. Cosmis R1 18x8.5 245/40 front 18x9.5 255/35 rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:22 PM   #1757
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
What source of audio when you have this issue? Like which app, when it happens can you try a different app?

Just to make sure the source audio doesn't have issues, I've seen some youtube videos or IG reels, have messed up data that only has left or right audio.
Thanks, I considered that as well but it happens on any app within carplay. It happened yesterday while in the car, all of a sudden mid-song the left speakers just went out. This morning I tested with a different phone (an Android phone with Android Auto) with the same result - no audio from the left speakers. If I pair to the BMW factory CIC bluetooth, everything works just fine. Seems to be specific to the Mr12volt unit.

I put a couple MP3s on a USB stick to play via the mr12volt unit (to take the wireless stuff out of the equation) and it still exhibits the same issue.

I downgraded to an older firmware (v2.8) before the "bmwCIC_20230206" fixed L / R channel reversed issue" was fixed, and then I only got audio via the left speakers, but not the right.

Mr12Volt support only seems to be interested in my original order number and is of zero help, only telling me it had a one year warranty. This is the P2000-MD (the blue one), the version before the newer/current OEM-microphone version.

Maybe there's somebody who upgraded to the new OEM-microphone version who wants to sell their old one?

Last edited by brettcp; 03-18-2024 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 06:41 PM   #1758
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
I know I've been asking alot of questions lately on the subject of Mr12volt BUT I have another. I noticed that my phone will stay connected to Android Auto even after shutting the car off. It will finally disconnect after I walk far enough away. Now I'm getting an "increased battery discharge warning" shortly after the install. Any ideas? I didn't have to code anything out to get it to work, I tried to code it out just for fun but in Bimmercode when ever I select "head unit" it loads for a few seconds and then says "unable to collect data". Also noticed that my clock's time has to be reset every time I get into the car
2008 328i e93- 3SIM, StageFP tune, magna flow #12148 muffler + vibrant resonator, BMS filters, Bilstein B8s, H&R sport springs, ECS sway bars, whiteline rear subframe bushings, rouge engineering trans mounts, custco front strut bar, M3 front lower control arms. Cosmis R1 18x8.5 245/40 front 18x9.5 255/35 rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:46 PM   #1759
Teggie e93 m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 2008 me (e93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_M3 View Post
Hi there!
I purchased the CIC CarPlay system for my e90 335d. The module connects to my phone via WiFi, Bluetooth and the USB input charges my phone
BUT the car screen does not display CarPlay, my Audio throughout the car doesn’t work (not even radio) and I have an SOS call system malfunction. All of my CD options are “unchecked” and the car is giving me a bizarre “no warning tones” notification

I borrowed a protool programmer and changed the CD changer settings as per the above thread from CDMM_CHANGER_3 to mp3_cdc to no avail.
I also found the 4 pin connector to my I drive controller was loose but plugging it in all the way didn’t help.
Wondering if you had any ideas as to what this could be!
could someone guide me one how to code that CDMM_changer_3 using protool, i dont have an ecu marked headunit just radio system (ccc) thank you i have been going crazy on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:02 AM   #1760
dat1981
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 06' E91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65Hunter View Post
Just finished the install today on my 09 with CIC. The only real issue im having is that my phone stays connected even after shutting the car off, or if I unlock the car to grab somthing real quick, it connects. I'm also having a hard time getting thr screen mirroring to work. I follow the steps on Mr12volt site, but it won't connect

And my only grip is that to switch to the next song using the steering wheel buttons, the down arrow is next and the up arrow is previous, not a big deal but dosent feel natural
I have the same issue. My phone stays connected after shut the car off and screen mirroring doesn't work. (Grey unit)
Appreciate 0