BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

12-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #23
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

has anyone had the chance to try Android auto with it??
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #24
southcarolinabmwx5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i

2015 x5 f15-- is it fullscreen?

Just wanted to see if any of you could confirm if this retrofit would be fullscreen in my 2015 x5. the video on their aliexpress page doesn't look like an x5 to me and every other device i found seems to only take up the left half of the display.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Aftermarket-Full-Apple-Carplay-Screen-X5-F15-X6-F16-NBT-2013-2017-MY-Android-Auto-Solution/4057012_32957115250.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.produc tList_1256748.pic_5

this is the one i'm looking at.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #25
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Resurrecting this thread. I took the plunge and bought this. Will let you guys know how it works out.

I went back and forth between this and NBT Evo retrofit. But the price and labor to install is what got me to try this out. I may still go with Evo later this year when I'm near Bimmer Retrofit shop for a trip. The retrofit is an insane amount of work and coding. Too much for me to want to take on right now.
PACarGuy646.00
      04-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #26
samsmith87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Resurrecting this thread. I took the plunge and bought this. Will let you guys know how it works out.

I went back and forth between this and NBT Evo retrofit. But the price and labor to install is what got me to try this out. I may still go with Evo later this year when I'm near Bimmer Retrofit shop for a trip. The retrofit is an insane amount of work and coding. Too much for me to want to take on right now.
Please post and updated after you spend some time with it.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #27
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Everyone.

I got this unit in yesterday and got some time to install it and give it a test try. Here is my first initial impressions.

Pros:
*Easy install.
*Price.
*Apps/maps will always be up to date because they're running from your
phone.
*Factory system remains fully functional.

Cons:
*Audio is outputted through AUX.
*Separate microphone has to be used for the carplay box.
*The box itself is quite large making it harder to hide and mount.

INSTALL:

The install was easy and straight forward. There are several cables and one main harness included with the kit. All in all, you only have to connect like three cables if you do the install without their camera add-ons.

You have to install a splitter cable to your iDrive controller that connects to the carplay box harness and then you have to take your CIC/CCC LVDS (for display) off the factory headunit and hook it up to their LVDS splitter so you can get picture for the carplay box on your factory screen.

I did not have to remove my factory screen at all. And this solution unlike some other chinese solutions does not mess with the big 4-way harness at the back of the factory headunit. Basically you only splice into iDrive controller and screen.

Audio is output through AUX so you have to connect a 3.5mm from the main harness to the AUX port in your arm rest storage. For using siri and taking calls through carplay box you have to use the included 3.5mm microphone. I installed this microphone in the empty spot in the dome light next to the factory microphone. See picture below. This makes it look OEM.

Name:  IMG_2380.jpg
Views: 6165
Size:  81.8 KB

Like mentioned a bit earlier the box itself is quite large making it hard to hide. I tried finding space behind the glove box, behind the headunit, etc. I couldn't find a good spot for it. If the LVDS cable was longer, it might be possible to install it under the passenger seat. I ended up using 3M tape and installing it in the passenger foot well area under the dash. It's not noticeable at all but you can see it if you bend down and look for it.

Because the main carplay box harness has all sorts of cables built in for add-on cameras I had to go get some flex tube sleeving and cable ties to make it neat. Otherwise it'll be a rats nest coming out of the box. In the end it looks clean and I'm happy with it.

Name:  IMG_2382.jpg
Views: 6191
Size:  127.1 KB

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

I bought this off Ali Express. When I first installed it I had no picture come up when I switched to carplay mode. I was able to get all functions to work but there was no picture displayed. I thought there was something wrong with the box or the LVDS cable they provided. My CIC screen still came up so I know the install was right.

I contacted JoyeAuto through Ali Express messaging function and was able to work with them and troubleshoot the issue. They replied fast and I was able to work with them and determine the dip switches on the box was set incorrectly. My box was set to 8.8 inch screen (which I thought all CIC screens are), after they told me to switch to the 10.25 inch setting the picture came right up. I'm not sure why I need it on this setting but everything is working so I'm not stressing it. Picture is not stretched and icons look fine.

I asked them about software updates just in case a new iOS update messes with the carplay box. Apparently they do have the ability to update the software on the box and they support this. I guess only time will tell.

PERFORMANCE:

Everything works as advertised. Factory CIC menu comes up and works. Long pressing the menu button on iDrive controller brings up the carplay functions. Switching between CIC and carplay box is fast and smooth. Switching between apps inside carplay is fast as well. The only thing I noticed is that if you cold open an app that was not already running on your phone, it takes about a half minute longer to switch to the app. This is totally reasonable.

At first putting the car in reverse did not bring up the factory PDC radar on the screen. I found a setting that needed to be disabled (backup camera add-on) in the settings of the carplay box. Once I fixed this setting, reverse brought up factory PDC radar fully functioning and then putting the car in drive will switch it back to carplay or CIC, which ever you had before you went to reverse. Again no lag between these modes.

Audio through AUX seems ok. I think most people will be fine with the quality. Me personally, I might try to add an inline USB headphone amp to see if audio quality can be better. Otherwise it works just fine and not a big deal.

I made some test calls with the included mic. People did not notice any issues with hearing me while driving. Siri can clearly hear me for voice functions. All seems well here.

The box supports android auto and DVR as well. I did not try these functions so I can't speak to how they work. I assume DVR is for the camera add-ons and allow you to record your trips like a dash cam. Their website says the box supports android auto but because there are so many varieties of phones and android versions out there, it's not guaranteed to work.

Steering wheel controls still work for CIC and when you switch over they work for carplay as well. The only thing I wish they would add is more navigation options for the iDrive controller in carplay mode. Basically you can only use the scroll wheel, back and pushing down the wheel for enter. You can't tap the scroll wheel to go up, down, left or right. So basically you're consistently scrolling back and forth where as the factory system allowed you to go left and right between menus.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

For the price and what it does, this little box is totally worth it. I'll continue to use it and report any issues I see.

Name:  IMG_2377.jpg
Views: 6240
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2378.jpg
Views: 6105
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2379.jpg
Views: 6080
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2383.jpg
Views: 6126
Size:  57.8 KB

Last edited by luckyse7en; 04-10-2019 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 6
Iyzmi802.00
dparm3848.00
derbo3592.00
PACarGuy646.00
iAjking25.50
Aries326193.00
      04-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #28
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Great work, pretty neat to see something like this retrofitting so well.
      04-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #29
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Hey Everyone.

I got this unit in yesterday and got some time to install it and give it a test try. Here is my first initial impressions.

Pros:
*Easy install.
*Price.
*Apps/maps will always be up to date because they're running from your
phone.
*Factory system remains fully functional.

Cons:
*Audio is outputted through AUX.
*Separate microphone has to be used for the carplay box.
*The box itself is quite large making it harder to hide and mount.
Sent you a PM. I have the same unit and have been having multiple issues to the point that it's currently not usable.

-Dustin
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      04-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #30
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Everyone.

Thanks for the great writeup! Very helpful. A few questions, if you don't mind:

I assume that the navigation from within Carplay just uses the iPhone's GPS antenna and that there is no GPS antenna splitter needed, correct?

How hard was it route the mic to the overhead console?

How do you activate Siri? Do you have to scroll using iDrive to the "home" button in Carplay, or is there another way?
      04-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #31
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
Sent you a PM. I have the same unit and have been having multiple issues to the point that it's currently not usable.

-Dustin
Have you tried reaching out to JoyeAuto support? Sounds like luckyse7en found them helpful.

Also, did you mount yours in the same location as he did? Would be curious to see if anybody was able to find a completely hidden mounting location.
      04-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #32
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Quote:

-Dustin
Have you tried reaching out to JoyeAuto support? Sounds like luckyse7en found them helpful.

Also, did you mount yours in the same location as he did? Would be curious to see if anybody was able to find a completely hidden mounting location.
I reached out, and they worked out my issues initially, but the unit continued to freeze so they sent me a software update and now the screen has shifted and they've stopped responding to me.

They suggested they would replace the unit if it continued, but now that we're at that point, they seem to have gone ghost.

I've had issues since I got the kit.

Mine is hidden, and mounted to the right of the CIC unit between the CIC and glove compartment.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #33
TRUE2THEBLUE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

damn should have bought it when aliexpress was having their sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Thanks for the great writeup! Very helpful. A few questions, if you don't mind:

I assume that the navigation from within Carplay just uses the iPhone's GPS antenna and that there is no GPS antenna splitter needed, correct?

How hard was it route the mic to the overhead console?

How do you activate Siri? Do you have to scroll using iDrive to the "home" button in Carplay, or is there another way?
Yes navigation from carplay uses your phone's gps antenna. No splitter to the factory antenna.

Routing the mic was really easy. I just popped the headliner down a bit to access the center lights. There is two clips you push in and that drops it down. If you have bluetooth equipped in your car you'll see one side is occupied with a square block, this is your factory mic. The other side is empty with a plastic clip as a place holder. I removed this clip and stuffed the mic here. Ran the wire across the windshield over to the passenger side airbag cover. Used a plastic pry tool to push it behind the panels and liners.

To activate siri you can either use your keyword "hey siri" or you can press the option button on your iDrive controller.

Quote:

-Dustin
I saw your PM. I'll send you an email shortly. I suspect something is different with the unit you (your friend?) has. I did not mess with any MOST optic cables or the 4-way/quad-lock harness.
      04-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #35
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

any chance you could try an Android device and give feedback???
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #36
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooksdaddy View Post
any chance you could try an Android device and give feedback???
Sure. I'll try with my wife's Galaxy S9 and I'll let you know.
      04-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #37
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I suspect dkmcclelland has a completely different product as me which is why his install is different and he was able to hide his unit behind CIC headunit. I'm confirming with him now.
      04-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #38
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
I suspect dkmcclelland has a completely different product as me which is why his install is different and he was able to hide his unit behind CIC headunit. I'm confirming with him now.
Ah, perhaps he has the Unichip version. Looking at the pics it does appear to be a bit smaller than the JoyeAuto box.

http://www.unichip-tec.com/pd.jsp?id=19#_pp=108_509

They show the dimensions as 10.3cm x 14.7cm. Can you check what size your JoyeAuto box is?
      04-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #39
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Ah, perhaps he has the Unichip version. Looking at the pics it does appear to be a bit smaller than the JoyeAuto box.

They show the dimensions as 10.3cm x 14.7cm. Can you check what size your JoyeAuto box is?

dkmcclelland bought the one from AliExpress and for sure the JoyAuto one. He dropped the glovebox and what not to get it up there IIRC.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #40
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The box I have is roughly 15.5cm x 9cm x 3cm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
dkmcclelland bought the one from AliExpress and for sure the JoyAuto one. He dropped the glovebox and what not to get it up there IIRC.
If the both of you are positive he bought from JoyeAuto, then I think I see what happened here. They probably sent you a NBT kit and not CIC kit. If you look at the youtube video linked. NBT kit does require you to mess with quad connector and move the MOST optical cable to their harness. CIC does not.

Also look at the differences in cables and parts. CIC has no quad connector and NBT has it. I bet this is what is causing it to crash and be incompatible. Plus he updated the software probably making things even worse.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 6421
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 6721
Size:  149.6 KB
      04-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #41
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Yes navigation from carplay uses your phone's gps antenna. No splitter to the factory antenna.

Routing the mic was really easy. I just popped the headliner down a bit to access the center lights. There is two clips you push in and that drops it down. If you have bluetooth equipped in your car you'll see one side is occupied with a square block, this is your factory mic. The other side is empty with a plastic clip as a place holder. I removed this clip and stuffed the mic here. Ran the wire across the windshield over to the passenger side airbag cover. Used a plastic pry tool to push it behind the panels and liners.

To activate siri you can either use your keyword "hey siri" or you can press the option button on your iDrive controller.

Thanks!!

Too bad it appears they've sold out of the iJoye units for now. I messaged them to see when and if they are making more but no response yet.
      04-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #42
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
The box I have is roughly 15.5cm x 9cm x 3cm.

If the both of you are positive he bought from JoyeAuto, then I think I see what happened here. They probably sent you a NBT kit and not CIC kit. If you look at the youtube video linked. NBT kit does require you to mess with quad connector and move the MOST optical cable to their harness. CIC does not.

Also look at the differences in cables and parts. CIC has no quad connector and NBT has it. I bet this is what is causing it to crash and be incompatible. Plus he updated the software probably making things even worse.

Attachment 2029302

Attachment 2029303

Did dkmcclelland mention a CIC quadlock harness?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #43
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Did dkmcclelland mention a CIC quadlock harness?
In his PM he mentioned he had to move the optical cable to the supplied quad-lock harness. A step that I did not have to do at all.

I can see JoyeAuto sending the wrong one. When they messaged me to check which car and model I had. I stated I had 2013 M3 and that I had CIC system. They replied back asking if I'm sure I have CIC, they thought 2013 should have NBT. Technically yeah 2013 3-series Fxx has NBT. But a 2013 3-series Exx has CIC.

They asked me to send pictures of my menu and system and still they questioned me. In the end they said, if you're sure then we'll send you CIC. But if you're wrong, sorry there are no returns. Something to that effect.
      04-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #44
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
In his PM he mentioned he had to move the optical cable to the supplied quad-lock harness. A step that I did not have to do at all.

I can see JoyeAuto sending the wrong one. When they messaged me to check which car and model I had. I stated I had 2013 M3 and that I had CIC system. They replied back asking if I'm sure I have CIC, they thought 2013 should have NBT. Technically yeah 2013 3-series Fxx has NBT. But a 2013 3-series Exx has CIC.

They asked me to send pictures of my menu and system and still they questioned me. In the end they said, if you're sure then we'll send you CIC. But if you're wrong, sorry there are no returns. Something to that effect.
Yea, the late model E92/E93 production years confuses the hell out of these aftermarket vendors. It sounds like dkmcclelland has the NBT version even though he has 2011...and they should've sent a CIC version.
Appreciate 0