BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #221
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstar View Post
Well that's interesting.
And can I confirm, for your install did you only have to connect the 4 pin harness for the i-drive controller and then LVDS connections?
Nevermind, just checked out the item on aliexpress and see it connects into the quad lock connector.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #222
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Nevermind, just checked out the item on aliexpress and see it connects into the quad lock connector.
The Aliexpress listing for the $319 unit shows one package for CIC (which does not appear to use the quadlock connector), and another for NBT (which does appear to use the quadlock connector).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024149281.html

Packing list

CIC System

1XCP main box
1XLVDS Cable
1X Microphone Cable
1X Power Supply Cable
2X Micro Idriver converter cables(there are 2types , please choose the one fit your car)

...it appears the unit for CIC does not use the quadlock connector, unless I'm mistaken?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #223
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Quote:
The Aliexpress listing for the $319 unit shows one package for CIC (which does not appear to use the quadlock connector), and another for NBT (which does appear to use the quadlock connector).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024149281.html

Packing list

CIC System

1XCP main box
1XLVDS Cable
1X Microphone Cable
1X Power Supply Cable
2X Micro Idriver converter cables(there are 2types , please choose the one fit your car)

...it appears the unit for CIC does not use the quadlock connector, unless I'm mistaken?
The wired ACP unit steering wheel controls work and it doesn't use the quadlock
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #224
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Historically I've read mixed reviews of functionality working/not working when using multiple emulators with the plug and play quad lock harnesses.

This is one of the reasons why I opted for the $300 kit. The can bus signal was tapped from the 4 pin connector from the idrive controller.

Haven't had any issues so far with my kit
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #225
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, this is starting to sound more like something in the way my CIC has been fitted.
Since the CarPlay box won't detect my reverse signal using the can bus and my steering wheel buttons don't work, which should also come via can bus.
I think I need to find some detailed wiring diagrams and pull everything out again and try and work out how my retrofit was done, cause something ain't right...
either that or my carplay box is faulty.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #226
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

So do we know if there's actually a difference between the Aliexpress unit and the JoyeAuto?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #227
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneedlessnoise View Post
So do we know if there's actually a difference between the Aliexpress unit and the JoyeAuto?
From what I've gathered so far, the physical unit is a bit different in size/shape, and the Joyeauto has a configurable EQ, where the Aliexpress unit does not. The joyeauto unit also has an external wifi antenna, where the Aliexpress unit appears to have hardwired their antenna into the unit itself.

I'd be curious to see a video of each in action to see if there is any speed/delay differences between the two.

Also, Joyeauto claims that the Aliexpress one is a "completely different unit" than theirs.

Keep in mind that we'll see a third option available soon - Unichip is about to release theirs.. not sure if this is a clone of either of the two existing units or actually a third option.
Appreciate 2
nah dude237.00
PACarGuy646.00
      06-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #228
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Would anyone by any chance know if the idrive controller knob, buttons etc goes over the CANBUS?
Just trying to work out why my unit would be working fine except for the reverse sensing and steering wheel controls.
If the reverse and steering wheel controls are picked up by CANBUS, but the idrive controller operates differently, then I would think there is an issue with the wiring done when the car was CIC retro'd..
But, if the idrive controller goes over CANBUS too, then the carplay unit is picking up my CANBUS ok and I have a different problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #229
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Would anyone by any chance know if the idrive controller knob, buttons etc goes over the CANBUS?
Just trying to work out why my unit would be working fine except for the reverse sensing and steering wheel controls.
If the reverse and steering wheel controls are picked up by CANBUS, but the idrive controller operates differently, then I would think there is an issue with the wiring done when the car was CIC retro'd..
But, if the idrive controller goes over CANBUS too, then the carplay unit is picking up my CANBUS ok and I have a different problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Can high and low to the back of the head unit, plus power and ground
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #230
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
From what I've gathered so far, the physical unit is a bit different in size/shape, and the Joyeauto has a configurable EQ, where the Aliexpress unit does not. The joyeauto unit also has an external wifi antenna, where the Aliexpress unit appears to have hardwired their antenna into the unit itself.

I'd be curious to see a video of each in action to see if there is any speed/delay differences between the two.

Also, Joyeauto claims that the Aliexpress one is a "completely different unit" than theirs.

Keep in mind that we'll see a third option available soon - Unichip is about to release theirs.. not sure if this is a clone of either of the two existing units or actually a third option.
Here's video of the Kremersino unit:
      06-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #231
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
That makes perfect sense. It sends the authentication keys via BT, then connects to the WiFi, then deactivate the BT connection.

From my reading, if you plug into the USB before paired, the iPhone will ask you to enable wireless carplay and do all the negotiation for setting up BT and WiFi portions via the USB cable to make it even more seamless.
BTW, I did confirm over the weekend that my wife's X3 is making a Wifi connection to the phone using an SSID, so looks like you are correct and all of the wireless units must be doing so.
      06-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #232
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu View Post
Can high and low to the back of the head unit, plus power and ground
So, given my idrive controller works fine both within and outside of the CarPlay unit, and the steering wheel buttons work fine controlling the factory idrive, its probably reasonable to assume that the CarPlay box is having issues, not my canbus or wiring. since it would be picking up the idrive controller over the same connection that it should be reading the steering wheel buttons.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #233
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
So, given my idrive controller works fine both within and outside of the CarPlay unit, and the steering wheel buttons work fine controlling the factory idrive, its probably reasonable to assume that the CarPlay box is having issues, not my canbus or wiring. since it would be picking up the idrive controller over the same connection that it should be reading the steering wheel buttons.
the fact is they say its full oem button control in the description, so I would expect it to work too.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #234
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
That sounds reasonable. Just curious, does it behave any differently if you unplug the CIC emulator?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #235
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...toreId=4057012

Looks like JoyeAuto now is posted on Aliexpress for full MSRP. I'm waiting for a coupon to drop this shenanigans down to $300-350 loll
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #236
timstar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That sounds reasonable. Just curious, does it behave any differently if you unplug the CIC emulator?
Oh, I can't find a CIC emulator anywhere. I pulled the CIC unit back out again and had a look, there's nothing that looks like an emulator.
Its clear something has been done back there because there's tape on some of the wires with their old locations.
But there's quad lock harness adaptor, no spliced wires.. so I have no idea.

So... at this stage JoyeAuto have stopped responding to me which is disappointing as they have been so helpful up until about 36hrs ago.
My next idea is to try and find someone who has a CIC retrofit without using an emulator who can take a photo of the back of their wiring harness so I can see if mine is connected any differently.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #237
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

For anybody owning the Joyeauto unit (or Kremersino), are you able to:

- fire off Siri when pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel?
- skip track from the steering wheel without navigating to the next/prev button on the CarPlay UI?
- mute all music playing from CarPlay by pushing the center console's volume knob?
- generally navigate CarPlay UI comfortably using the steering wheel controls?

Also, do you think the DAC/AMP in these things is "okay"?
I have the full Bavsound speaker and woofer replacements for my F20 and I feel like that playing music via USB with my the integrated AMP in the head unit has always bottlenecked the whole audio system.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #238
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post
For anybody owning the Joyeauto unit (or Kremersino), are you able to:

- fire off Siri when pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel?
- skip track from the steering wheel without navigating to the next/prev button on the CarPlay UI?
- mute all music playing from CarPlay by pushing the center console's volume knob?
- generally navigate CarPlay UI comfortably using the steering wheel controls?

Also, do you think the DAC/AMP in these things is "okay"?
I have the full Bavsound speaker and woofer replacements for my F20 and I feel like that playing music via USB with my the integrated AMP in the head unit has always bottlenecked the whole audio system.
1. No voice command button activates the OEM voice command
2. Yes
3. Yes, it mutes but does not pause the track like it normally would on the OEM bluetooth audio since it's going through the AUX input
4. No, only the iDrive controller can navigate through the UI.

I think the sound is okay, louder than my bluetooth audio actually, but that's probably because my AUX volume has been increased.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #239
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

Quote:
1. No voice command button activates the OEM voice command
4. No, only the iDrive controller can navigate through the UI.
Thanks for your answers. About these two points: do you have JoyeAuto? If so, NBT or CIC? How does your steering wheel look like?
Because on this video (and by speaking to Joy customer support rep) they clearly publicise the steering wheel controls to be working for navigation/invoking Siri:

And from the product page here: https://www.joyeauto.com/bmw-nbt-1-2...play-solution/
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #240
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My Kremersino unit arrived. Hoping to get to install over the next week or so.
Debating adding a reverse camera with emulator as well while I'm opening up the dash...
Attached Images

06-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #241
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post
Thanks for your answers. About these two points: do you have JoyeAuto? If so, NBT or CIC? How does your steering wheel look like?
E90 CIC, so no steering wheel scrollbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Debating adding a reverse camera with emulator as well while I'm opening up the dash...
Nice! Your casing looks different than mine (I don't have the grooves)
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy646.00
      06-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #242
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post

Are you planning to run an OEM style rear view camera or run one off the ACP module?

I installed an RVC module into my brother's E90 diesel and had some trouble with the quadlock plug n play emualtors. I had to buy a quad lock, solder the emulator on.

quadlock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Most-Quadlo...53.m1438.l2649

emulator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversing-I...53.m1438.l2649

camera:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E82-E88-E84...53.m1438.l2649

Sorry I Digressed.

I hope the voice command can activate Siri on the steering wheel, that woul would be helpful but not a dealbreaker if it doesn't work on the JoyeAuto ones.

On another note, its on Aliexpress for $409 now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035537468.html
Appreciate 0