BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #23
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

I drove in a torrential thunderstorm with the freeway flooded with R888s. Most of the cars were doing 40-50mph I was doing fine at 80mph.

They are loud. Very loud. But so what. No other tire can compete with these in all these disciplines. Nothing.
Sounds safe...
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

They're a 100 tread-wear R-compound tire; it IS a race tire lol. Of course they're going to grip well and do better than the 200 tread-wear tires to which you're comparing them. Nitto NT01s would be a better comparison, not RS-3s.

You might have had great experience in the wet, but I know for a fact that they do not do well there, especially in standing water. There's plenty of dips and shallow spots on the interstates here in Florida that end up having standing water.

If you're wanting no compromises in your dry traction; sure a 100 TW tire is pretty awesome. But there are 200 TW tires out there that give superb grip in both the dry and the wet. I'll write a review of my BFG Rival S tires once I've got a few thousand miles on them.

Quote:
How much do you know about the R888 as a multi-disciplinary tire for high HP cars? Have you ever driven a car with 600+ HP where traction is an major issue?

Every car with a 1,000+ HP coming out of Underground Racing comes fitted with R888s.

My Turbo S could not get off the line without violent spinning after I upgraded to 750 HP. Stock 0-60 was 2.8 but when adding a ton of power it would only go low 3's using PSS tires. With R888's it's now mid-2's. Cold or hot. Doesn't matter.

These tires work nicely at the track as well. I did a track day at ACS last year it was over 100 deg F track temps nearing 200 and these tires held up like race tires. Unbelievable. I was literally the only one left in the afternoon. Lapping everyone because the R888s were the only tire still working.

I drove in a torrential thunderstorm with the freeway flooded with R888s. Most of the cars were doing 40-50mph I was doing fine at 80mph.

They are loud. Very loud. But so what. No other tire can compete with these in all these disciplines. Nothing.
      06-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #25
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered
They're a 100 tread-wear R-compound tire; it IS a race tire lol. Of course they're going to grip well and do better than the 200 tread-wear tires to which you're comparing them. Nitto NT01s would be a better comparison, not RS-3s.

You might have had great experience in the wet, but I know for a fact that they do not do well there, especially in standing water. There's plenty of dips and shallow spots on the interstates here in Florida that end up having standing water.

If you're wanting no compromises in your dry traction; sure a 100 TW tire is pretty awesome. But there are 200 TW tires out there that give superb grip in both the dry and the wet. I'll write a review of my BFG Rival S tires once I've got a few thousand miles on them.

Quote:
How much do you know about the R888 as a multi-disciplinary tire for high HP cars? Have you ever driven a car with 600+ HP where traction is an major issue?

Every car with a 1,000+ HP coming out of Underground Racing comes fitted with R888s.

My Turbo S could not get off the line without violent spinning after I upgraded to 750 HP. Stock 0-60 was 2.8 but when adding a ton of power it would only go low 3's using PSS tires. With R888's it's now mid-2's. Cold or hot. Doesn't matter.

These tires work nicely at the track as well. I did a track day at ACS last year it was over 100 deg F track temps nearing 200 and these tires held up like race tires. Unbelievable. I was literally the only one left in the afternoon. Lapping everyone because the R888s were the only tire still working.

I thought the treadware was a 180. I'll need to check. But regardless what makes the r888 so special is that it hooks when COLD. Yes it works hot too but this is what makes the r888 unique. And it did great in standing water for me. In fact a lot of guys run the r888 as their wet track tire.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0