BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #1
pkeller99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Valved vs. Non-valved Exhaust

Hey everyone!

New e90 owner here and like a lot of you, I'm looking to open up the exhaust to get some more sound out of the beautiful v8 that is in these cars. I've done some extensive research on a lot of exhaust setups over the last few weeks and I'm trying to determine the best setup moving forward.

Backstory: I live in a townhome that is connected to other townhomes and generally go the gym in the early hours of the morning. I'm not the type to try to wake up the complex every time I leave in the morning

The main options I'm considering at this point are a valvetronic/bomiz (yes, I know it is most likely just repackaged/rebranded from China, but I like the idea of having some semblance of customer service) or a more tame "non-valved" setup such as Corsa + test pipes, Eisenmann sport, etc. If I did something non-valved, I feel that tuning out the cold start would be necessary.

I know exhaust is extremely subjective, but I'd love to hear anyone's opinions on these options or any other ones that I haven't mentioned. Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by pkeller99; 07-26-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne E90

nice car

2 pipe mod is good for not being super loud under 3k

bomiz / valvetronic are repackaged alibaba (GRWA is the company in china)

I ran an alibaba valved exhaust for awhile and it sounded great and had no issues.

You will find that GRWA are very interested in providing a quality product as it is apparently very easy to be removed from the Alibaba marketplace if too many people complain or leave bad reviews.

In my opinion, the 2 pipe mod is perfect with stock x pipe, but if you want to remove the cats and do a tune, run the alibaba valved exhaust as it will allow you to control the volume.

You will also see people complaining about the electronic or vacuum valves. I ran my electronic valves through the winter up here and had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
pkeller99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etansinsta View Post
nice car

2 pipe mod is good for not being super loud under 3k

bomiz / valvetronic are repackaged alibaba (GRWA is the company in china)

I ran an alibaba valved exhaust for awhile and it sounded great and had no issues.

You will find that GRWA are very interested in providing a quality product as it is apparently very easy to be removed from the Alibaba marketplace if too many people complain or leave bad reviews.

In my opinion, the 2 pipe mod is perfect with stock x pipe, but if you want to remove the cats and do a tune, run the alibaba valved exhaust as it will allow you to control the volume.

You will also see people complaining about the electronic or vacuum valves. I ran my electronic valves through the winter up here and had no issues.
Awesome, thank you for your response! I know you said you are running the alibaba setup through the winter. Are you still running this setup? If so, what are you running for cats/x-pipe/resonators?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeller99 View Post
Awesome, thank you for your response! I know you said you are running the alibaba setup through the winter. Are you still running this setup? If so, what are you running for cats/x-pipe/resonators?
I'm running Alibaba mufflers with the Challenge Sport X-Pipe (has HFC's + resonators) and absolutely love the sound.

I've been through many set ups to find that exact sound that I've been searching for and this combination provided that.

As far as living in a townhome, I get it. If you delete your cold start, it'll help, but loud is loud, regardless of the set up.

I will say, from videos, the Corsa + test pipes combo sounds fantastic. I can't speak for it in person though.

But, from the Alibaba muffler's point of view, quality is on point, and working with GRWA was fantastic. I ran a GB later in the year in 2020 and had zero issues working with them.

I'm by no means a marketer for them, but it's hard to get an honest opinion from people who don't even own the product you're looking to get.

If by chance you do decide to move on with the GRWA product, I can get you in touch with my contact over there.
      07-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Etansinsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Melbourne E90

Quote:
this was on an old coupe i owned and it was stock up to the axleback

if you have the homelink mirror, you can pair the exhaust valve remote to 2 of the slots on the mirror (one for open one for close) - just something extra i discovered that was cool
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
pkeller99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
I'm running Alibaba mufflers with the Challenge Sport X-Pipe (has HFC's + resonators) and absolutely love the sound.

I've been through many set ups to find that exact sound that I've been searching for and this combination provided that.

As far as living in a townhome, I get it. If you delete your cold start, it'll help, but loud is loud, regardless of the set up.

I will say, from videos, the Corsa + test pipes combo sounds fantastic. I can't speak for it in person though.

But, from the Alibaba muffler's point of view, quality is on point, and working with GRWA was fantastic. I ran a GB later in the year in 2020 and had zero issues working with them.

I'm by no means a marketer for them, but it's hard to get an honest opinion from people who don't even own the product you're looking to get.

If by chance you do decide to move on with the GRWA product, I can get you in touch with my contact over there.
I'd love to get the contact information from you! Shoot me a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:25 PM   #7
dannyboy017
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I got my GRWA valved exhaust from alibaba. Wish my experience was better. Communication and payment went smooth. It got shipped out rather quickly to hawaii. The parts in the box were loosely packed and were slightly damaged. One tip was slightly bent due to what I assume was a drop.

The kit only came with one remote and no battery. GRWA said the remote battery and second remote was confiscated by customs? Seems a bit strange. They could not send me a second remote so if I lose this one I need a whole new vacuum unit. I hardwired a cig lighter port in the truck so I could use their power cable without running it through the cabin. No directions provided so you will need to figure it out on your own (rather easy). I ditched their neon blue vac lines and got black since you could see them through the rear bumper grill.

I could not get the exhaust mounted with the center hangars welded they way they were. Got it mounted as I could insanely crooked and had a shop cut and re-weld the hangars to fit it.

Fit is now 8.5/10. The tips they provide look meh (I got sandblasted will probably get stainless nicer ones eventually). Sound is 10/10. Valve closed is quieter than stock and very comfy to kill the any drone or try and be quiet around a cop or early morning cold starts.

You get what you pay for I suppose. Overall I am happy with it, my expectations were just set high from other forum members I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
pkeller99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy017 View Post
I got my GRWA valved exhaust from alibaba. Wish my experience was better. Communication and payment went smooth. It got shipped out rather quickly to hawaii. The parts in the box were loosely packed and were slightly damaged. One tip was slightly bent due to what I assume was a drop.

The kit only came with one remote and no battery. GRWA said the remote battery and second remote was confiscated by customs? Seems a bit strange. They could not send me a second remote so if I lose this one I need a whole new vacuum unit. I hardwired a cig lighter port in the truck so I could use their power cable without running it through the cabin. No directions provided so you will need to figure it out on your own (rather easy). I ditched their neon blue vac lines and got black since you could see them through the rear bumper grill.

I could not get the exhaust mounted with the center hangars welded they way they were. Got it mounted as I could insanely crooked and had a shop cut and re-weld the hangars to fit it.

Fit is now 8.5/10. The tips they provide look meh (I got sandblasted will probably get stainless nicer ones eventually). Sound is 10/10. Valve closed is quieter than stock and very comfy to kill the any drone or try and be quiet around a cop or early morning cold starts.

You get what you pay for I suppose. Overall I am happy with it, my expectations were just set high from other forum members I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy017 View Post

Thank you for sharing your experience! Much appreciated. I think that's another thing that I'm somewhat worried about with the alibaba setup. I'm relatively particular about final position and finish of tips and the exhaust as a whole. I really like the single walled tips that bomiz offers, but I suppose I could always order different tips if I didn't like what came with the GRWA exhaust.
      08-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

Corsa mufflers and testpipes sound fantastic in my opinion! I had them in the past and miss the sound and added performance of the cat deletes.

Just be sure to request the cold start delete on your tune. Mine didn’t have the delete and was a little obnoxious at start up especially if you are concerned about neighbors.

Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #10
dannyboy017
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience! Much appreciated. I think that's another thing that I'm somewhat worried about with the alibaba setup. I'm relatively particular about final position and finish of tips and the exhaust as a whole. I really like the single walled tips that bomiz offers, but I suppose I could always order different tips if I didn't like what came with the GRWA exhaust.
Yeah I'll get some single walled tips eventually but its just personal preference. Overall for the money can't really beat it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #11
chevo
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

You could also check out valvemaster.ca. Mike at PrecisionDynamics in SoCal did a promotional video for them, seems like another one of these valved exhaust brands based on Alibaba exhausts. They seem to be relatively new but have competitive pricing when compared to valvetronic designs or bomiz so could be worth looking at.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #12
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevo View Post
You could also check out valvemaster.ca. Mike at PrecisionDynamics in SoCal did a promotional video for them, seems like another one of these valved exhaust brands based on Alibaba exhausts. They seem to be relatively new but have competitive pricing when compared to valvetronic designs or bomiz so could be worth looking at.
They're competitive in pricing because the exhaust is literally getting drop shipped from China.

They're just having them stamp their logo on the cans before shipment.
      08-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
chevo
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
They're competitive in pricing because the exhaust is literally getting drop shipped from China.

They're just having them stamp their logo on the cans before shipment.
Yes, I know all these valved brands are drop shipped alibaba exhausts and so does the OP. But he is still considering valvetronic/bomiz for the customer service, which is why I recommended valvemaster as a possible option.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #14
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Have you considered the M3World systems from Australia? These are locally designed and built systems specifically for the E9x M3. I have installed their high flow catted and resonated Xpipe paired with their valved rear system and love it. It’s perhaps not for everyone. Prices should be competitive for you guys in the US, note prices on the website are in AU$ and you would be entitled to a 10% saving as you won’t have to pay the Australian sales tax >
https://m3world.com.au/product-categ...haust-systems/

Here’s a video comparing stock versus the full valved system >
https://youtu.be/qbkcIvbi5f8

I am from Australia and have no affiliation with the company.