BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

07-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
hard_head
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E93)

E93 convertible top hydraulic repair

Thank you for all of the helpful content you maintain in support of us DIY mechanics. I wouldn't have made it nearly this far without you. That said, now I'm stuck.

Let me describe my problem, first. While putting down the hardtop on my 2012 M3, apparently a golf ball got wedged between the right cylinder and the roof frame, resulting in a bent cylinder. It retracts fully into the trunk but will only lift about halfway when following your YouTube instructions. If I could disconnect one end of the cylinder I believe I could fully extend the top and have better access to perform the repair. Unfortunately I cannot get close enough to the attachment points to even see how they connect, let alone actually detach one end.

This is where I'm hoping you can offer some assistance. Can anyone offer photographic or video disassembly instructions showing how to remove the convertible's hydraulic cylinders? I THINK I need to remove this clip but I'm not familiar with its design so can't figure out how to remove.

Barring a full disassembly howto, would somebody be willing to share photos of the attachment points for the right main pillar hydraulic cylinder or give any pointers on how I might "coerce" the top to fully extend (without damaging the frame) so I can gain access?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0