BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

05-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

Oil Consumption & Engine Speed Correlation

I've had my e90 M3 for just about 14K miles. Did a very gentle break in and have consumed 3/4 liter so far and 1 oil change at 8K. However, just over 1/3 liter was consumed during one 600 mile round trip between Boston and Bar Harbor during the summer (500 miles of highway driving). Virtually no oil consumption during the DD stint back and forth to work - all on back roads with traffic at mostly low RPMs. The daily stop and go accounts for over 80% of my miles (sigh). It feels like there is a non-linear relationship between engine speed and oil consumption (more than proportionate oil consumption as engine speed increases). Anyone have thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
I've had my e90 M3 for just about 14K miles. Did a very gentle break in and have consumed 3/4 liter so far and 1 oil change at 8K. However, just over 1/3 liter was consumed during one 600 mile round trip between Boston and Bar Harbor during the summer (500 miles of highway driving). Virtually no oil consumption during the DD stint back and forth to work - all on back roads with traffic at mostly low RPMs. The daily stop and go accounts for over 80% of my miles (sigh). It feels like there is a non-linear relationship between engine speed and oil consumption (more than proportionate oil consumption as engine speed increases). Anyone have thoughts?
This agrees with what I am experiencing. My e46 didn''t burn a drop but this one is a different animal. Added a court around 5K miles and again around 10K miles. I am down about a 1/2 quart now and it's only been 1K miles since my 10K oil change. The only difference is that I have made many runs up to 8K RPM. Definitely more so then before. At my current rate I'll need to add another quart in about 1-2K more miles.

Also, I know the F1 cars burn a bunch of oil during their races. Granted that's 18K RPM but this is supposed to be an F1 inspired motor so.....

I think more a pain in the ass then an actual problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Mine hasn't consumed anything according to the not-so-accurate electronic dipstick, but definitely less than 1/4-lt, which is the system's accuracy. I drove the car back home for 800 miles, and when the first oil change was done at 1,400 miles, it was still at full. After that oil change, took the car to another 800-mile trip and at 4,400 miles still reads full. Haven't pushed the car hard at all, but on that trip I traveled at the ton for a long time, with rpm past 4K. I think besides rpm, it's also how hard you're on the throttle, no? I've driven mine at high rpm but normal throttle openings. A car with close tolerances and 10/60 oil shouldn't consume oil IMO, but maybe tolerances are not that great on this engine; who knows . I'm surprised with my luck mine is not consuming oil; it was about time .
Appreciate 0