BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

05-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Checking Oil Using Centre Gauge

Apologies for such a stupid question.. but I think i'm losing my mind (or going blind) and just want to get a sanity check before I make an appointment with the psychiatrist..... I've gone through the manual to figure out how to check oil using idrive and using the centre console (ie. display between the gauges). Seems simple enough. The weirdest thing though is when I scroll through the different pages on the centre console, there is no display showing the oil symbol!!!?!! WTF? I get the interior light display, check control, set time, set date and service info... but that's it? no oil check!!!! Is there some secret password i have to utter as I scroll through the pages or is my car just broke azz? Tks.

Last edited by nitro; 05-07-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

It sounds like your using the little wheel thingy on the stalk. Scroll through the menu using the push button at the end of the blinker stalk.

Cheers.
      05-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
It sounds like your using the little wheel thingy on the stalk. Scroll through the menu using the push button at the end of the blinker stalk.

Cheers.
Oh damn, are you serious? Yeah i was using the wheel thingy to scroll. Thought that's what the manual said. will definitely try scrolling using the button. Tks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Oh damn, are you serious? Yeah i was using the wheel thingy to scroll. Thought that's what the manual said. will definitely try scrolling using the button. Tks!!!!
Shits is, once you find it, it only gives you a rough idea and takes forever to update when you add oil.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Tks for the tip ersin! In the manual it seems to suggest that you scroll with the the up/down tabs to a screen with the oil symbol.. tried the button scrolling as you suggested and it worked (weird thing is there is no oil symbol.. just the meter). Anyway, finally got to that screen, held the button down and it reset!.... greg, you aren't kidding.. it takes for ever to reset!! all done though. tks again guys!..... btw, already down a notch and i'm only at 1,300kms!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Hi guys, sort of a related question.

got my first service today, but my oil level hasn't changed. It was down by half before i took it in and after the oil change, and repeated cycles it hasn't moved... i recall reading on another post that it takes a while for the computer to register after an oil change.. but i can't find that post. Any thoughts? I'm going to wait a couple of days to see if it registers the full oil.

p.s. i read the service invoice and it showed 9 quarts of engine oil added, so it has to be full.....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys, sort of a related question.

got my first service today, but my oil level hasn't changed. It was down by half before i took it in and after the oil change, and repeated cycles it hasn't moved... i recall reading on another post that it takes a while for the computer to register after an oil change.. but i can't find that post. Any thoughts? I'm going to wait a couple of days to see if it registers the full oil.

p.s. i read the service invoice and it showed 9 quarts of engine oil added, so it has to be full.....
Yeah, give it some time. The system is slow to reset. Try holding the button in for a reset when in oil level mode.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The oil gauge is just a PIA.

So I was told to add 1 qt. Added 1/2 qt. and gauge recognized during first cycle. Next cycle, the added oil disappears! I was told to add another 1 qt. So I added another 1/4 qt., and the gauge didn't even move up a tick. After resetting the gauge about 5-10 times the gauge finally registered the 3/4 qt. that I've added...

I thought I was leaking oil for a moment
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
got my first service today, but my oil level hasn't changed. It was down by half before i took it in and after the oil change, and repeated cycles it hasn't moved...
If it hasn't changed, it's at the same level it was before. Once you drive the car enough to show a reading (10 miles or so, depending on ambient temperature), doing a proper 'reset' will yield repeatable results (within the system's accuracy, of course). We're talking oil not molasses . Remember the time to do a 'reset' is with oil at full operating temperature; it takes less than a minute on my car. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
nitro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Tks guys.
Finally registered the full oil just now. It's weird as it took a full day and multiple resets (on flat surface at operating temp) before the gauge actually registered that I had changed the oil and had a full 9 quarts. It is now showing max, which is a relief as I was getting rather OCD with that oil gauge hahahah. I can now relax and enjoy the ///m post break-in!!!!
Appreciate 0