BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #89
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Has anyone ever just tried to have a good fabrication shop make one? Doesn't seem like it's rocket science especially if you just reference the existing known good forward X options.
I'm currently working with a local fabricator to produce a full titanium x-pipe with a forward positioned crossover merge, Magnaflow HFCs in the secondary position, and Vibrant resonators in the rear near the exhaust flange. If everything looks good once all is said and done, I plan to see if he is open to the idea of mass producing the x-pipe.

Subsequently, if the custom x-pipe looks good, I'd have a BW x-pipe for sale with the above components installed.
Appreciate 3
CTMike262.00
AmuroRay2284.00
      03-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #90
darren p.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4, MkII GTI, E90 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
I can't believe there is not one good front X option, the valvtronic stuff is junk and I don't want to commit full on headers and back, plus also $$$.
Yeah, its a sad state of affairs, I was originally going to go this route (modified BW), then decided on their LT headers w/ the matching X-pipe (modified) but the door has seemed to close on that as well. In the end I went with ARH LTs and their matching X-pipe with forward x, HFCs and resonators. I see BW has the ARH stuff on their site now too, wonder if they are restricting them to race cars also like their own pipes?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-03-2022, 02:33 PM   #91
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
Yeah, its a sad state of affairs, I was originally going to go this route (modified BW), then decided on their LT headers w/ the matching X-pipe (modified) but the door has seemed to close on that as well. In the end I went with ARH LTs and their matching X-pipe with forward x, HFCs and resonators. I see BW has the ARH stuff on their site now too, wonder if they are restricting them to race cars also like their own pipes?
Those ARH systems sound so nice. Jealous, if I had a larger budget, thats what I would do. For no i just monitor the classifieds here. I feel like they used to show up more often.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #92
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

I can def speak with a known manufacturer, about getting a very high quality forward x mid pipe, to market. Options on quad HFCs, quad resonators, combination of each... high quality cats.
Appreciate 1
jp1984506.00
      03-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #93
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

The ideal x pipe to me would be something with the x farther forward, high quality cats in the secondary position that do not stink, and the biggest resonators that you could possibly fit in there. Hell, is it possible to put a second set of resonators in the primary cat spot? (maybe thats a terrible idea, I dont know)

Ideal end state is awesome sound that isn't obnoxiously loud, no rasp, no smell, and power gains. I want it all.
Appreciate 1
jp1984506.00
      03-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #94
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
The ideal x pipe to me would be something with the x farther forward, high quality cats in the secondary position that do not stink, and the biggest resonators that you could possibly fit in there. Hell, is it possible to put a second set of resonators in the primary cat spot? (maybe thats a terrible idea, I dont know)

Ideal end state is awesome sound that isn't obnoxiously loud, no rasp, no smell, and power gains. I want it all.
High quality cats in the primary position, have proven to have no negative effect on hp. If you track; however, then the secondary position would be best (to avoid overheating the cats). A quad setup would probably be best with all 4 after the forward x. If you check out the ESS pipe, 4 big resonators like that, would be perfect.
Appreciate 1
jp1984506.00
      03-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #95
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Spades x View Post
High quality cats in the primary position, have proven to have no negative effect on hp. If you track; however, then the secondary position would be best (to avoid overheating the cats). A quad setup would probably be best with all 4 after the forward x. If you check out the ESS pipe, 4 big resonators like that, would be perfect.
I have also heard that 2 in line resonators dont help as much with drone. Someone please put me in my place on that one.

Or

I believe 2 in line resonators have to vary the way they deal with drone (sizes or shapes), meaning you cant just stack 2 of the same resonators in line on each side and expect the best result.

I think the absolute best x pipe is a combination of the one fabricated here (the high flow cats and resonators) along with the design of MRF.

I think the biggest design component to MRF is the way 1 there are no bends, it is precision cut pipes as straight as possible and the way that 4 straight pipe connect at the x merge, meaning it is not a typical 2 pipe x "kiss" so to speak.

Ideally, you could sell it in a variety of combinations, I think if this actually got traction that there are more members with far more knowledge than me on this that should chip in their knowledge. If we could get something good and proven I bet we could get a lot of members here to consider it.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-04-2022, 03:40 AM   #96
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have also heard that 2 in line resonators dont help as much with drone. Someone please put me in my place on that one.

Or

I believe 2 in line resonators have to vary the way they deal with drone (sizes or shapes), meaning you cant just stack 2 of the same resonators in line on each side and expect the best result.

I think the absolute best x pipe is a combination of the one fabricated here (the high flow cats and resonators) along with the design of MRF.

I think the biggest design component to MRF is the way 1 there are no bends, it is precision cut pipes as straight as possible and the way that 4 straight pipe connect at the x merge, meaning it is not a typical 2 pipe x "kiss" so to speak.

Ideally, you could sell it in a variety of combinations, I think if this actually got traction that there are more members with far more knowledge than me on this that should chip in their knowledge. If we could get something good and proven I bet we could get a lot of members here to consider it.
The issue is we don't have the specs of the MRF pipe. We just know we would rather not have the sharper bend of Bimmerworld. So the "kiss" of the Gintani/ESS is the best solution.

A quad resonated setup would be great; however, passing emissions is a must. I dont want to deal with switching every 2 years, so HFCs in the primary position is best (for me)... leaving quad resonators lining the pipe after the merger. I do think a mid sized resonator in primary, secondary HFC, and massive resonators in back, would be awesome.

Last edited by x Spades x; 03-20-2022 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:45 AM   #97
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The issue is we don't have the specs of the MRF pipe. We just know we would rather not have the sharper bend of Bimmerworld. So the "kiss" of the Gintani/ESS is the best solution.

Regarding the resonators, the ESS has zero drone (cant speak on Gintani) probably bc of the MASSIVE resonators. The biggest thing would be combating the rasp, the forward x introduces.

A quad resonated setup would be great; however, passing emissions is a must. I dont want to deal with switching every 2 years, so HFCs in the primary position is best (for me)... leaving quad resonators lining the pipe after the merger. I do think a mid sized resonator in primary, secondary HFC, and massive resonators in back, would be awesome.
You are completely correct and I believe I just communicated poorly, because I agree with you.

The straightest pipes possible with the furthest forward "kiss" and less of the merge box that the BW pipe has, though that is still quite effective as well.

While my personal preference would be a single pipe design, perhaps for sake of convenience, manufacturing and cost, splitting the pipe into a rear section and 2 front pipes could work as it would be modular, kind of like the RKP one. One could spec your rear section with dual or quad resonators and then have the option of catted front pipes.

What about something like the fab speed design. you take this X pipe, move it as far forward as possible, catted front pipes, then two in resonators or one single great resonator on each side like ESS and one keeps those header back pipes as straight as possible to this point.

https://www.fabspeed.com/fabspeed-bm...S.BMW.E9X.XPWR.

Last edited by jp1984; 03-04-2022 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      03-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #98
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]

https://m3world.com.au/shop/exhaust-...nated-catless/
https://m3world.com.au/shop/exhaust-...no-resonators/
All prices are AU$
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #99
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoepurrr View Post
I'm currently working with a local fabricator to produce a full titanium x-pipe with a forward positioned crossover merge, Magnaflow HFCs in the secondary position, and Vibrant resonators in the rear near the exhaust flange. If everything looks good once all is said and done, I plan to see if he is open to the idea of mass producing the x-pipe.

Subsequently, if the custom x-pipe looks good, I'd have a BW x-pipe for sale with the above components installed.
wait why not just use the titanium resonators lol.

mixing material is going to affect the over all frequency of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #100
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Quote:

Definitely don't want to mix alloys. I have a pair of Ticon 12" 2.5" diameter titanium resonators that are brand new sitting in my garage. I'd pass along.
      03-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #101
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Quote:

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...e304922f0fbc8d

Will initially run it without the cats to see if it's tolerable.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:17 PM   #102
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Has anyone ever just tried to have a good fabrication shop make one? Doesn't seem like it's rocket science especially if you just reference the existing known good forward X options.

I've been wanting exactly this, the lightness of a full Akra, but the forward x pipe of bimmerworld. If you bring it to market I'll buy it. I'd want hfc in Ti.
      03-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #103
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

For those following this thread - I got my RKP sport setup paired up with my Corsa and high hopes, but it is too tame for my taste. I would post a video but I don't feel the need. It sounds good but not great. It sounds very refined and quieter than TPs + Corsa.

I am going back to an OEM mid with TP, and Corsa.

This RKP setup is great for someone who wants a tamer setup that doesn't smell as much with fumes idling etc, but for me this is purely a weekend / fun car and these are sacrifices that I am willing to live with.

Shame I couldnt get my hands on the BW xpipe, what could have been I guess....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #104
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
For those following this thread - I got my RKP sport setup paired up with my Corsa and high hopes, but it is too tame for my taste. I would post a video but I don't feel the need. It sounds good but not great. It sounds very refined and quieter than TPs + Corsa.

I am going back to an OEM mid with TP, and Corsa.

This RKP setup is great for someone who wants a tamer setup that doesn't smell as much with fumes idling etc, but for me this is purely a weekend / fun car and these are sacrifices that I am willing to live with.

Shame I couldnt get my hands on the BW xpipe, what could have been I guess....
Why don't you switch out the Corsa, for a freer flowing exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:37 PM   #105
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Just In Case These Help

Here's some sound files of my M3-World X-Pipe from inside the car and outside the car. I kept the stock OEM rear back box muffler.
X-Pipe Sound Clip: Interior
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482...social_sharing
X-Pipe Sound Clip: Exterior #1
X-Pipe Sound Clip: Exterior #2
More Tracks Here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #106
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Here's some sound files of my M3-World X-Pipe from inside the car and outside the car. I kept the stock OEM rear back box muffler.
X-Pipe Sound Clip: Interior
X-Pipe Sound Clip: Exterior #1
X-Pipe Sound Clip: Exterior #2
More Tracks Here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-90547482
I would for sure buy the x pipe that it looks like they are making in the picture header, the rest of x pipes are the same as local for cheaper though.

https://m3world.com.au/product-categ...haust-systems/
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #107
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
I would for sure buy the x pipe that it looks like they are making in the picture header, the rest of x pipes are the same as local for cheaper though.

https://m3world.com.au/product-categ...haust-systems/
You could always consider reaching out to DaveDee who owns the business and is a forum member. Just a thought.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2022, 01:21 PM   #108
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
You could always consider reaching out to DaveDee who owns the business and is a forum member. Just a thought.
I didn't know that, thanks for the information, truly. I may do that, I wonder if a group buy would be possible but I am not coordinating it, haha.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #109
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Question X-Pipe transport

Ok, maybe silly question...
Can a purchased X-pipe fit in an e92 for transport to a shop to install?

If not, how are y'all doing it?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #110
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Ok, maybe silly question...
Can a purchased X-pipe fit in an e92 for transport to a shop to install?

If not, how are y'all doing it?
I rented a u-haul van to transport the exhaust. The factory system with the cats still attached is a little long. Didn't fit in any of my cars.
Appreciate 1