BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

05-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
raiste
Time is the fire in which we burn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M3

oil filter question

Can the oil filter be changed with out draining the oil first? Or does it make too much of a mess?
I was thinking about doing this about halfway between oil changes if possible.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Piece of cake, meaning yes . But why not change the oil as well? Changing the filter only is better than nothing, but this car doesn't deserve a half a$$ job IMO .

In case you didn't know, you'd need a 36mm socket to remove the oil filter cap, which is on top of the engine. And make sure to buy an oil filter KIT, which includes the needed O-rings (maybe all oil filters come with that already, but just ask). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
raiste
Time is the fire in which we burn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The oil filter has way more filter capacity than you'd ever need in 30,000 miles of use even in an old engine with dirty oil. There is no need to change it sooner than the oil.
Thanks for the info.

I have a filter by-pass system on my diesel truck so I can change the filter in between oil changes. Typically, I'll send an oil sample off after about 5000 miles. Usually, the oil and detergent package are still good, but the oil can get a lot of particulates in it. So changing just the filter makes sense in my truck.

For my M3, since the miles between normal oil changes is so long, I thought it might be a similar situation. I will probably send an oil sample off about 5000 miles after the first service, just to see how well the oil is doing.

Appreciate 0