BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

02-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
kangroay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Decision making help please.

Hi guys,

I have posted a thread a few weeks ago regarding deciding between a new Golf R and a used E92 M3, and I finally decided to go with the M3.

There are few candidates I have.

1. 2013 M3 Lime Rock Edition with 36k miles on it, one owner, listed at $39,998. (Carmax)
The exterior looks fantastically impeccable. However, the interior has few problems. Even though there was only one owner, it doesn't seem like that person treated the car nice. The problems are: the start/stop button is peeled off over 50%, the rear sun blind is broke, noticeable scratches on the navigation screen, rear ashtray is broke, and most importantly, the seats are anthracite cloth/leather seats whereas I much prefer the 100% leather seats. I didn't even know there would have been basic cloth seat option for the limited edition.. oh and also, I think I prefer the regular leather steering wheel over the alcantara since it felt like a bit worn out.. One of my friends told me to just get it and get the things fixed because the car itself is worth it. However, I am trying to not spend any more budget on the car for the next few months and I am not sure if I am going to be 100% happy sitting in the cloth seats. But still, this would be my top choice.

2. 2011 M3 Jet Black (wrapped with the fire orange color) 41k miles, 2 owners, fully loaded, and listed at $32,500, local used dealership. It looked like the previous owner really wanted the Lime Rock edition. The car has the alcantara steering wheel as well and it's better condition than the one above. Also, the interior is much cleaner and the seats were red leather. I would've gone for this car if it were 2013 instead of 2011.

3. 2013 M3 Jerez Black, 17k miles on it, one owner, $42,998, also Carmax. So, this one is almost like new. I haven't seen this one because it's still being transferred to my local Carmax. According to the pictures, this one's interior is super clean like new and so is the exterior. But, honestly, it's little over my budget so I have to make a stretch to get this one.

Frankly, 2013 Alpine White with fully loaded would be ideal, but I don't have time to keep shopping for car. So, I really have to make a decision fairly soon and I am having hard time finalizing it. If the Lime Rock edition had the leather seats, I would've chosen it. However, I don't want to regret seating in that cloth seat everyday. The car is mainly for just commuting and it's only 5 miles one way. When I really get stressed out deciding on this, I just tell myself to get a Golf R for practicality and don't worry about anything. But since the e92 M3 has been my dream car for such a long time, I can't really easily give it up. Do you guys really think the Lime Rock edition is super super special car that is worth more than the regular M3's so I should just go for it for the resale later?

I look forward to getting your advice. Please pardon my poor writing!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Just follow your heart...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
Tewie195.50
      02-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I'd go with the lime rock and maybe think about spec'ing some recaro sportsters for it in black leather and try and pick up some OE rear black leather seats if you want them all to be black leather. The start button is easily changed the nav screen might bother you but is repairable or replaceable. The OE power leather seats are nice and super adjustable but they're heavy and don't look super sporty but if it's your commuter I can understand you wanting all the amenities. I have a Jerez black m3 and it shows every little scratch/chip as you can imagine a non metallic paint would. My friend recently bought a car max car, he wanted a v8 grand Cherokee 4x4 and he transferred 3 of them to his local carmax and they kept coming with door dings from hell and paint imperfections. In the end they waived the transfer fees and he paid $2k for ding/paint correction. Carmax flip cars and DGAF it seems about this type of thing, they do a poor job of detailing/cleaning/servicing cars they sell and the associates only make $160 per car so they don't care either. Carmax seem to only care about accident history and selling you a service package and/or an extended warranty which is nice with our cars. The other nice thing about carmax and autonation is you get a 5 day grace period to return it. I bought from autonation and spent the next few days inspecting the car. I kept it and was super happy, felt like I got a good deal.

Correction I have a Schwarz black car, not Jerez
      02-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
If it were me, there would be absolutely no question. Lime Rock. For a multitude of reasons.

1) Value. Its nearly the same price as your other options, yet is an incredibly rare and sought after car. I predict the lime rock edition to be a future classic worth quite a bit down the road. (look at the E36 ltw, E46 csl, E30 m3 SE, etc.) These special edition M3's command BIG bucks.

2) The Limerock comes with a multitude of upgrades designed for performance from the factory, which saves you a considerable amount on mods down the road.

3) It is an absolute showstopper. Every BMW enthusiast will be envious of your unicorn. (cool factor)

4) Cleaning up the interior is easy. You can replace scratched plastic panels for cheap, but you can never turn a regular E92 in to a Limerock. No matter how much money you throw at wraps, wheels, and tuning, it will never be a true Limerock.
Appreciate 2
Tewie195.50
      02-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
If it were me, there would be absolutely no question. Lime Rock. For a multitude of reasons.

1) Value. Its nearly the same price as your other options, yet is an incredibly rare and sought after car. I predict the lime rock edition to be a future classic worth quite a bit down the road. (look at the E36 ltw, E46 csl, E30 m3 SE, etc.) These special edition M3's command BIG bucks.

2) The Limerock comes with a multitude of upgrades designed for performance from the factory, which saves you a considerable amount on mods down the road.

3) It is an absolute showstopper. Every BMW enthusiast will be envious of your unicorn. (cool factor)

4) Cleaning up the interior is easy. You can replace scratched plastic panels for cheap, but you can never turn a regular E92 in to a Limerock. No matter how much money you throw at wraps, wheels, and tuning, it will never be a true Limerock.
The Limerock is just an orange paint job, a few metal plaques, an MPE and some alacantra bits. There is nothing unique about it. It's a parts bin special that was thrown to BMW NA in lieu of an actual special car - the M3 GTS. The E46 CSL, E36LTW etc. are not comparable to a Limerock at all.

OP - Buy the best car you can afford, which based on your description is option 3.
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The Limerock is just an orange paint job, a few metal plaques, an MPE and some alacantra bits. There is nothing unique about it. It's a parts bin special that was thrown to BMW NA in lieu of an actual special car - the M3 GTS. The E46 CSL, E36LTW etc. are not comparable to a Limerock at all.

OP - Buy the best car you can afford, which based on your description is option 3.
Perhaps its a "parts bin special", but one that will undoubtedly command a high dollar amount in the future vs the regular M3.

A rare, special edition, of the last naturally aspirated M3 ever to be made? That will certainly fetch a premium.
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Perhaps its a "parts bin special", but one that will undoubtedly command a high dollar amount in the future vs the regular M3.

A rare, special edition, of the last naturally aspirated M3 ever to be made? That will certainly fetch a premium.
shiny plaque bring big money
      02-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Also @ OP. You could always swap seats with someone. Lots of people out there who'd want the cloth seats.
      02-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Another vote for Lime Rock. Looking at your three choices, I wouldn't pay 43K for that M3 as it'll drop in resale value within a few years. The Lime Rock Edition would definitely retain its value much better should you later decide
that you want to jump into a Golf R for practicality reasons.

You said your commute is only 5 miles and if your using this as a daily commute I'd be pretty frustrated as that's barely enough time time for the S65 to warm up and reach full operating temperature. This car needs time to properly warm up and cooled down as you may already know.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881102.50
      02-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just throwing it out there that this might not be the best car to only use for a 5 minute commute. Sure, it's fine for that.... but tell me you intend to drive it more than a 5 minute work commute? It's a fantastic daily driver, which I use mine for also, but it takes 10 minutes to warm up to operating temp, so make sure you know that you will be taking it very easy on the gas every commute.. which would kind of defeat the point every day and risk the wear and tear if parking lots, weather, etc.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

If you like #1 then go with it. All the issues you mentioned are easily fixable.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:

If you care about rare - it's not even the 'rarest' version of the E9x in North America.

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50

I wouldn't put money on it fetching much of a premium in 10 years over similar quality examples for the reasons I listed above. An Alpine white no option slicktop E90 competition pack with manual transmission and fox red interior on the other hand..
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      02-04-2019, 11:32 PM   #13
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

I'd buy the low mileage Jerez black
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #14
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

I would go with the 2011, 41k miles!
I personally believe that cars which are not driven regularly have more reliability issues, therefore avoid the low miler, unless it's a classic/collectible!
Also the 2011 would save money which you could put towards Maintenence/upgrades/rod bearing service?

The lime rock edition - if the interior is poorly taken care of, it could be a sign that previous owner did not take proper care of the car in general and this might lead to potentially expensive engine/mechanical repairs in the future.

Yes, these cars are fun if you are able to rev them out regularly (of course once at operating temp). Short commutes or mostly city/traffic driving would not be fun! Just my opinion...!
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #15
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
I would go with the 2011, 41k miles!
I personally believe that cars which are not driven regularly have more reliability issues, therefore avoid the low miler, unless it's a classic/collectible!
Also the 2011 would save money which you could put towards Maintenence/upgrades/rod bearing service?

The lime rock edition - if the interior is poorly taken care of, it could be a sign that previous owner did not take proper care of the car in general and this might lead to potentially expensive engine/mechanical repairs in the future.

Yes, these cars are fun if you are able to rev them out regularly (of course once at operating temp). Short commutes or mostly city/traffic driving would not be fun! Just my opinion...!
Funky logic here lmao - imo, higher mileage, more chance of it having had previous supercharging mods. Use the brain, buy low mileage, mine has 38k looks and drives perfect 🤘
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
dakarwu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar Yellow E92 M3

limerock m3s dropped that much in price?
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #17
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
#2. Budget friendly, mileage and condition. However, if the budget is not a concern than #3. Good luck. Carmax warranty is no joke and worth the money.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      02-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #18
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarwu View Post
limerock m3s dropped that much in price?
i dont think carmax really cares what the private sales market sells them for
      02-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Limerock with Speed Cloth is a winner. DCT or 6MT?
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #20
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
+1
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #21
kangroay
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #22
kangroay
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Also @ OP. You could always swap seats with someone. Lots of people out there who'd want the cloth seats.
Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Do they still make OEM seats as well?
Appreciate 0