BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: What direction to go for suspension?
Ohlins R&T- upgrade springs/sway bars 17 54.84%
Go with new 3-way COs 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

03-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #23
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

MCS doubles or even singles and never look back. I've had MCS singles with 600/900 spring rates for 5 years - dial it back to plush for the street and firm it up for the track. Never had a problem.

Finally had them rebuilt last year, and they were all holding pressure well. Best investment ever!
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #24
Kwakjoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

TCK DA is a pretty solid choice for dual duty. Their rebuild intervals are pretty good too versus JRZ, MCS, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #25
blastpanel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E92

Check out the new Ohlins Dedicated Track coilover kit that is being released:

https://3dmmotorsport.com/

I love the characteristics of the Ohlins R&T coilovers and believe they excel as a true dual-purpose option– very compliant on the street and a noticeable increase in performance on the track. When I decided to transition my car to a more track focused setup, I spoke to 3DM Motorsport about the development of this new kit and offered my M3 for the prototype since I live close to Ohlins in NC.

The Ohlins is a very capable track damper; they just need to be properly revalved to accept higher spring rates. The modified valving increases the damping to not only help control the spring, but also give a crisp turn in to the corners, and their unique Dual Flow Valve soaks up the curbs to keep the car very stable. You get the best of both worlds! Its more than just about "controlling the spring"; its about the dynamics of the suspension.

I am blown away with the result. The car is firm but not harsh on the street and the track performance is amazing. The suspension feels poised and responsive and manages the higher spring rates (672 lbs front / 1008 lbs rear) with ease. Weight transfer on track felt very stable, and the suspension never gets unsettled over rough curbing. I was not able to change out my stock front sway bar before testing the new setup at VIR, but the cornering was balanced and rotation was easy to manage. Going to a slightly stiffer bar may be recommended, but is not necessary.

You can purchase new "Dedicated Track" coilovers directly from 3DM Motorsport as they are responsible for helping Ohlins develop this kit. They are also set up for conversion of existing Road and Track coilovers quicker and cheaper than through Ohlins. If you purchase from 3DM, you also get one free revalve, so if you start with the R&T suspension, and later decide to switch to the Dedicated kit, you get a nice discount on the conversion.
Appreciate 2
aus887.50
slcook541859.50
      04-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #26
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I keep hearing that the DFV design overheats the oil.
Conjecture?
True?
What's Barry say at 3dm about that?
If it overheats after 20mins of constant use, doesn't matter as much. How does it affect rebuild intervals?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #27
blastpanel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E92

I had not heard of this issue and asked Barry at 3DM about it. He said that DFV design would not cause the oil in the damper to overheat; if anything, it would be the opposite.

He mentioned a couple points:
  • The DFV based Ohlins dampers passed all the tests to be an OE damper for Volvo’s Polestar division.
  • The Porsche Cayman development car had 137 hrs of documented track time on a Ohlins Road and Track setup before being reconfigured to the "Dedicated" setup. The dampers were in still in good shape even with an aftermarket exhaust running close to the rear struts.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #28
Jack14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastpanel View Post

I love the characteristics of the Ohlins R&T coilovers and believe they excel as a true dual-purpose option– very compliant on the street and a noticeable increase in performance on the track. When I decided to transition my car to a more track focused setup, I spoke to 3DM Motorsport about the development of this new kit and offered my M3 for the prototype since I live close to Ohlins in NC.

The Ohlins is a very capable track damper; they just need to be properly revalved to accept higher spring rates. The modified valving increases the damping to not only help control the spring, but also give a crisp turn in to the corners, and their unique Dual Flow Valve soaks up the curbs to keep the car very stable. You get the best of both worlds! Its more than just about "controlling the spring"; its about the dynamics of the suspension.

I am blown away with the result. The car is firm but not harsh on the street and the track performance is amazing. The suspension feels poised and responsive and manages the higher spring rates (672 lbs front / 1008 lbs rear) with ease. Weight transfer on track felt very stable, and the suspension never gets unsettled over rough curbing. I was not able to change out my stock front sway bar before testing the new setup at VIR, but the cornering was balanced and rotation was easy to manage. Going to a slightly stiffer bar may be recommended, but is not necessary.

You can purchase new "Dedicated Track" coilovers directly from 3DM Motorsport as they are responsible for helping Ohlins develop this kit. They are also set up for conversion of existing Road and Track coilovers quicker and cheaper than through Ohlins. If you purchase from 3DM, you also get one free revalve, so if you start with the R&T suspension, and later decide to switch to the Dedicated kit, you get a nice discount on the conversion.
Had the conversion done on my r&ts. Super happy with the result. A major upgrade for sure.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 01:13 AM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastpanel View Post

Thanks for the link. Did you go for the shorter springs up front to clear bigger wheels? How much is the kit total with upgraded springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack14 View Post
Had the conversion done on my r&ts. Super happy with the result. A major upgrade for sure.
Did you buy the R&T's from them? Did you change the springs?
Thanks
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:33 PM   #30
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
TCK DA is a pretty solid choice for dual duty. Their rebuild intervals are pretty good too versus JRZ, MCS, etc.
TCK DA are TERRIBLE dual duty Coilovers. So fucking loud and clunky. Most reviews on here are like “I’ve never tracked, but dude you should get the 10 ways with the 10,000lb springs.”
      02-02-2021, 12:22 AM   #31
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
TCK DA are TERRIBLE dual duty Coilovers. So fucking loud and clunky. Most reviews on here are like “I’ve never tracked, but dude you should get the 10 ways with the 10,000lb springs.”
I actually find the recommendations on m3post are directed to very soft (rear) spring rates.
      03-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #32
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Apologies for bumping a rather old thread, but there is some misinformation in here. Some posters above said the Ohlins RT is not a track coilover as in it can't be used on the track. Even the OEM Sachs dampeners can be track coilovers and these are far superior in terms of valving and with the addition of stiffer springs its a great upgrade for the track.

Most of the people saying these are not track Coilovers are serious track rats and have actual built cars ie sticky wide tires, race pads, and sometimes aero. For a car like that of course the Ohlins RT won't be a proper track coilover.

Where these shine is for some like me who already has an intense track car (991.2 GT3RS) and wants to build more of an enthusiast class or street class car for time attack. Meaning the car is running 200+ tread wear, has endurance pads on stock brakes, and zero aero. In this regard the Ohlins RT absolutely shines! It is perfect for someone looking to build a street friendly time attack car.

On the other hand, if you are running r compounds and track pads for instance, its smart to switch something with a higher spring rate with valving to match (ie Ohlins DA).

Now if you have slicks, aero, and bbk? Not only that but you are actually fast, then and only then should you be looking at extreme track coilovers (ie Ohlins TTX). Sure these higher end kits "feel better to a lot of you because of the higher spring rates but I promise you unless your car is over built for your dampers, its not the coilovers holding you back its your driving skill