BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-16-2023, 02:52 AM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Slon DCT pan removal

Has anyone removed their slon DCT pan before? If so, how difficult was it to get the pan off and clean up the loctite 574?

I’m going to be installing my slon pan this winter but not 100% sure about using loctite 574 gasket maker. Only because I’m worry about potential future removal. Don’t like the idea of having to scrape off the old loctite 574 with a razor or use wire brush or abrasive disc, and etc.

Are there any alternative to seal the slon dct pan other than loctite 574? (Yes, I know the pan was designed to us loctite)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #2
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

I just did this literally three days ago. It wasn’t too bad to be honest. It’s such a thin layer on the gearbox casing that a little brake clean, sprayed on a rag, and it was off. Getting the loctite out of the groove in the slon pan was fiddly but I used a pick, carefully, and then used a tooth brush to get any remaining dust out. Finished off the pan with some brake clean to make sure all the old loctite dust was out of the pan and that was it. I let the new loctite cure for 24 hours and it hasn’t leaked yet so I think I’m in the clear.

I would let the pan sit for a few hours before trying to remove the loctite from the groove in the pan. It seemed to soften up again when exposed to oxygen, as it’s an anaerobic compound. It started breaking off in big chunks towards the end and I suspect it’s because of the exposure once it was off, my two cents.
Appreciate 2
rcracin1242.50
rhyary1564.50
      10-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
I just did this literally three days ago. It wasn’t too bad to be honest. It’s such a thin layer on the gearbox casing that a little brake clean, sprayed on a rag, and it was off. Getting the loctite out of the groove in the slon pan was fiddly but I used a pick, carefully, and then used a tooth brush to get any remaining dust out. Finished off the pan with some brake clean to make sure all the old loctite dust was out of the pan and that was it. I let the new loctite cure for 24 hours and it hasn’t leaked yet so I think I’m in the clear.

I would let the pan sit for a few hours before trying to remove the loctite from the groove in the pan. It seemed to soften up again when exposed to oxygen, as it’s an anaerobic compound. It started breaking off in big chunks towards the end and I suspect it’s because of the exposure once it was off, my two cents.
How come you had to remove it?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #4
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
How come you had to remove it?
Track maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 04:20 PM   #5
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:

Awesome, that’s good to know. Thank you.

Also how much loctite did you use for the install?
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs703.00
      10-23-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Not a lot. I filled the groove with a small beed and stuck it on. I watched a few videos about how Porsche applies it for their gearboxes. They literally roll it on with a little paint roller so you don’t need a ton. I had a little to squish out around the perimeter and I’m pretty confident it’ll be ok. I’ll report back if I turn out to be wrong!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 04:43 PM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Track maintenance.
Filters?

That pan itself and the gasket is very durable.
Attached Images

10-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #8
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Filters?

Filters and fluid. The pan is really stout. Mine has taken a few hits as well with no issues. Slon makes top notch products for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #9
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Filters?

Is that yellow mark from the rumble strip?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 10:03 PM   #10
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
Is that yellow mark from the rumble strip?
I'm not exactly sure, maybe dandelions. Rumble strips are painted red and white at this track.
Attached Images

10-27-2023, 03:07 AM   #11
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I've done it before, and the Loctite 574 when cured properly is very good. when disassembling the gasket comes off without much residue and you can scrape off whatever pieces are left that sticking to the mating area of the pan.

Scraping it off is fine, it's not a problem. However if you don't want to deal with the hassle then buying a pan from SLG or fallline is probably a better idea that has a vitton gasket.
Appreciate 0