BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

08-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Alecb0929
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition

Weird knocking/snapping noise?

I'm baffled by an obscure noise my car has been making over the past few months. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but the best I can describe it is as a knock sound that happens under weird circumstances - more reasons as to why it's throwing me off.

Occasionally, if the car has sat for a while (a day or two) I'll hear it right as the engine turns over there is a singular knock noise. It doesn't sound like the engine itself, rather something in the engine bay hitting something. Almost like a ball peen hammer on a thick steel plate.

More often, however, if the car is changing direction rapidly around a tight corner (usually a right turn) or over a big bump I'll hear a nearly identical sound although coming from what seems like the passenger front wheel.

It also seems to happen a little less frequently when the car comes to a harder stop, right as the car is stopping. Again, just a single knock noise.

Mind you, this doesn't happen all the time and only enough to take note of. Also, everything else about how the car behaves perfectly normal. It's almost like something small and metal is loose somewhere, but I haven't located that and I can't be sure.

This one's really making me want to pull my hair out so if anyone has any pointers please feel free to let me know.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecb0929 View Post
I'm baffled by an obscure noise my car has been making over the past few months. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but the best I can describe it is as a knock sound that happens under weird circumstances - more reasons as to why it's throwing me off.

Occasionally, if the car has sat for a while (a day or two) I'll hear it right as the engine turns over there is a singular knock noise. It doesn't sound like the engine itself, rather something in the engine bay hitting something. Almost like a ball peen hammer on a thick steel plate.

More often, however, if the car is changing direction rapidly around a tight corner (usually a right turn) or over a big bump I'll hear a nearly identical sound although coming from what seems like the passenger front wheel.

It also seems to happen a little less frequently when the car comes to a harder stop, right as the car is stopping. Again, just a single knock noise.

Mind you, this doesn't happen all the time and only enough to take note of. Also, everything else about how the car behaves perfectly normal. It's almost like something small and metal is loose somewhere, but I haven't located that and I can't be sure.

This one's really making me want to pull my hair out so if anyone has any pointers please feel free to let me know.
This => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996069

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Alecb0929
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:

This => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996069
Interesting, but mine is less of a rattle or grind like they are describing in that thread and more of a literal knock. What confuses me is it makes a similar noise when I'm turning or stopping rapidly, which has me thinking it's suspension related or something is loose. But then again it does it on startup, so either these are two separate noises or something really different is going on here.

I'll add that I started to notice this after having my rod bearings and motor mounts changed, and I had the bimmer world dipstick put in during the service. The car currently has just over 73k miles.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, but mine is less of a rattle or grind like they are describing in that thread and more of a literal knock. What confuses me is it makes a similar noise when I'm turning or stopping rapidly, which has me thinking it's suspension related or something is loose. But then again it does it on startup, so either these are two separate noises or something really different is going on here.

I'll add that I started to notice this after having my rod bearings and motor mounts changed, and I had the bimmer world dipstick put in during the service. The car currently has just over 73k miles.
Positive. You have 2 separate noises .

When the car sits for a few days ,most of us are having the clunk or rattle noise during the start up .
The noise is vanos-gears related . But it won't hurt our S65 .

Your other noise is probably suspension related .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
How old are your engine mounts? Take off the drivers front tire and you can get a straight shot of the drivers side and check out the condition. Motor can be wiggling a bit if they're bad enough
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
How old are your engine mounts? Take off the drivers front tire and you can get a straight shot of the drivers side and check out the condition. Motor can be wiggling a bit if they're bad enough
Read # 3

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #7
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Read # 3
Ah, yeah, reading….. thanks!
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
Alecb0929
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Positive. You have 2 separate noises .

When the car sits for a few days ,most of us are having the clunk or rattle noise during the start up .
The noise is vanos-gears related . But it won't hurt our S65 .

Your other noise is probably suspension related .
So I was finally able to catch the startup noise, again it only tends to happen if the car is cold, but this is from under the passenger front wheel. It is a bit difficult to isolate but hopefully you'll notice the subtle knock right as the engine begins to turn over. It's a little more audible from inside the car due to the reverberation, but maybe this is more accurate.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bhvhSKDJ3nY?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
So I was finally able to catch the startup noise, again it only tends to happen if the car is cold, but this is from under the passenger front wheel. It is a bit difficult to isolate but hopefully you'll notice the subtle knock right as the engine begins to turn over. It's a little more audible from inside the car due to the reverberation, but maybe this is more accurate.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bhvhSKDJ3nY?feature=share
Yeah . This can be the same noise as in the link of my # 2 post .
But your clunk noise is softer ..You shouldn't be worried .

Appreciate 0