BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

PM'd
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
I'm contemplating a number of various mods and would prefer to get the entire process (ahem, or at least the first round ) over and done with in one installation.

I'm new to the modifications thing, and am thus looking for any thoughts or input re: the list below:

[suggestions re: alternative products welcome!]

1. Akrapovic Slip-On Titanium Exhaust System

*I'd like to get the full Evo, but unfortunately it creates issues for me come emissions time. Given that I live in the city and do not have room to store the OEM system, whatever I do to the exhaust needs to be street legal. As far as I understand, the slip-op does not present emissions issues?

2. Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake Charge Kit

*This one seems like a no-brainer, provided that it is installed correctly. Of course, I've read varying opinions on whether or not the intake actually impacts the car's perfomance in any meaningful way. I guess that when it comes to mods of this sort, you just have to take the leap of faith.

3. Macht Schnell S65 Performance Underdrive Pulleys

*Question: the pulleys scare me a bit. I can't say that I fully understand what they do beyond "undercharging" various aspects of the engine. I read that if you do not drive the car a lot, you'll have to get a trickle charger for the battery. My car is in a parking garage - I can't do this. If I only drive once or twice a week, will a pulley create battery-related headaches for me? If so, I'm going to nix this purchase.

4. BMW M3 GTS Black Wheels - 19 inch + Michelin Pilots

*I love the way these wheels look, though am not certain they are still available. In any event, I'm very much on the fence here. I don't mind the stock 18s and apparently in terms of performance, the 18s are hard to beat. I don't like the idea of putting on 19s that will downgrade the car's handling profile slightly. Another consideration here is that the road quality in NYC (and NY generally, for that matter) is complete shit and I'm probably asking for a bent rim by moving up to the 19s. Still, they're beautiful wheels ...

5. ESS Tune / Powerchip / et.c

*I'm a bit wary of these "over the counter" tunes. People seem to like them, though you have to wonder how much of that is placebo effect. The die-hards seem to believe that if you're going to tune correctly, you have to get the car on the dynos. If anyone has any thoughts on this, they would be appreciated (how expensive is it to get the car tuned on dynos? I can't imagine that it's a particularly cheap process.)

After that? Who knows. Maybe pads, etc. for brakes but that would probably be it. Absolutely love the way the car looks; not interested in cosmetic mods (beyond wheels and exhaust tips) - maybe a black grill for the front.

Anyway, any thoughts here would be appreciated!
Great mod list!

We have dynos with essentially the exact wishlist you have posted here on this thread:

Macht Schnell UDP/Stage 2 Intake & Akrapovic Dyno Findings
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567651

ZCP wheels are still available, let me know if you have any questions during hte modding process and I'll be happy to help.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0