BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Doesn't go well with get pipes...I have the S-type on now and it's so loud it shakes buildings. The car drones and rattles. It would sound good with stock cats, but with the test pipes it's not something I can live with. It does look good, though...tips are great, and there is significant weight savings over stock.
Agreed on the S-type, but not the ATAk it doesn't drone.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Doesn't go well with get pipes...I have the S-type on now and it's so loud it shakes buildings. The car drones and rattles. It would sound good with stock cats, but with the test pipes it's not something I can live with. It does look good, though...tips are great, and there is significant weight savings over stock.
If you think the S-type with TP is loud, then you are way sensitive to exhausts period. That was a very mild setup IMHO (I had it). It was too quiet for what I wanted, which is why I got rid of it for my Eisenmann Race

Quote:
I don't think the Megan is an option on a convertible. I understood it didn't fit.
There is an option for E93 (I assume it's same as E92), but if you think that the S-type is "so loud", then this is not for you either.

I'd probably just stick to stock if I were you. Akra slip-on is also pretty mild although quite pricey.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

I would say our exhaust handles catless setups better than some of the other exhausts I have heard on the market.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #26
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If you think the S-type with TP is loud, then you are way sensitive to exhausts period. That was a very mild setup IMHO (I had it). It was too quiet for what I wanted, which is why I got rid of it for my Eisenmann Race

There is an option for E93 (I assume it's same as E92), but if you think that the S-type is "so loud", then this is not for you either.

I'd probably just stick to stock if I were you. Akra slip-on is also pretty mild although quite pricey.
It's so loud the entire car shakes at idle and when pulling away from a stop. I'd consider that pretty loud but it's probably worsened by the drone and vibration. I actually thought it might not have been installed properly, because at times it seems like there's no exhaust at all.

Fr comparison, I had an Aston Martin Vantage with high flow cats previously that was so loud you could hear it from miles away, and that was quiet compared to this. So is my neighbors's Stingray. At full wide open throttle, it's no louder than I'd expect, but at low rpms it rattles nearby buildings, cars, and anyone in the car.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's so loud the entire car shakes at idle and when pulling away from a stop. I'd consider that pretty loud but it's probably worsened by the drone and vibration. I actually thought it might not have been installed properly, because at times it seems like there's no exhaust at all.

Fr comparison, I had an Aston Martin Vantage with high flow cats previously that was so loud you could hear it from miles away, and that was quiet compared to this. So is my neighbors's Stingray. At full wide open throttle, it's no louder than I'd expect, but at low rpms it rattles nearby buildings, cars, and anyone in the car.
Makes me wonder if you really do have an S-type (rather than an ATAK version) or if it was installed properly.

I had the S-type with complete catless system and it did not rattle the car, drone or insanely loud (unlike when I had full ACM setup). Like I said, the S-type, even with test pipes is one of the tamer setups around here.

Any pics of the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Makes me wonder if you really do have an S-type (rather than an ATAK version) or if it was installed properly.

I had the S-type with complete catless system and it did not rattle the car, drone or insanely loud (unlike when I had full ACM setup). Like I said, the S-type, even with test pipes is one of the tamer setups around here.

Any pics of the exhaust?
It's definitely the S-type, part number 11764. I was surprised at how loud it is...I was expecting a 6-7/10 and got a 10/10. However, it's definitely louder because of the test pipes and also because the car is a convertible.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #29
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Agreed on the S-type, but not the ATAk it doesn't drone.

Dave
+1. I have the ATAK and it does not drone. And it also sounds and looks amazing. Just love it. I'm thinking about buying some TPs and a tune. Have you heard an ATAK w/ TPs?
      08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #30
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just installed remus sport axle back, acm test pipes should be here soon. Will report back
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #31
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I have the Akrapovic with TPs. There is zero drone with this setup at cruising speeds, but is a bit bassy down low. You could get the cold start tuned out to partially address that issue.

08-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #32
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Really down to you isn't it? No video or people's opinion can tell you what its actually like to live with it?

I went through these and hopefully have found the right one now...
  1. Stock
  2. OEM muffler 4-pipe replaced + 2nd cats/resonator delete on OEM X-pipe
  3. Supersprint Race + 2nd cats/resonator delete on OEM X-pipe
  4. OEM stock muffler + 2nd cats/resonator delete on OEM X-pipe
  5. Stock
  6. OEM stock muffler + primary decat x-pipe, resonated/cats in x-pipe (russ fellows fabrications)
  7. Akrapovic Evolution full titanium exhuast
  8. BMW M Performance + Evolve Test Pipe <- current setup

All had there good and bad points. But personally the most fun I had was
number 2, 6 and current number 8 setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely the S-type, part number 11764. I was surprised at how loud it is...I was expecting a 6-7/10 and got a 10/10. However, it's definitely louder because of the test pipes and also because the car is a convertible.
Very very odd. Maybe it's because it's a vert, I don't know. I was just listening to a sound clip of my friends and I driving in the mountains. From inside my car, you could hear his TP+Megan following me. Very unusual to hear a car from behind the car if the exhaust was that loud (which it wasn't).

If 1 is stock, and 10 is straight pipe everything, I'd rank the TP+S-type at around 6 if that. My Eisenmann would be high 7, low 8. Like I said, there are MUCH louder systems than TP+S type out there, so this is very odd to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #34
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Very very odd. Maybe it's because it's a vert, I don't know. I was just listening to a sound clip of my friends and I driving in the mountains. From inside my car, you could hear his TP+Megan following me. Very unusual to hear a car from behind the car if the exhaust was that loud (which it wasn't).

If 1 is stock, and 10 is straight pipe everything, I'd rank the TP+S-type at around 6 if that. My Eisenmann would be high 7, low 8. Like I said, there are MUCH louder systems than TP+S type out there, so this is very odd to me.
What is wild is I think your setup is waaayyy louder than mine but others tell me mine is loud so who knows. Just shows sound is very subjective.
I guess it is alos very different from inside the car.
      08-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
What is wild is I think your setup is waaayyy louder than mine but others tell me mine is loud so who knows. Just shows sound is very subjective.
I guess it is alos very different from inside the car.
Oh definitely, that's why I told the OP that he must be sensitive to loud exhausts in the first place or something is wrong because TP+Borla S type is about same as ACM mod by itself (if that). I know everyone has different opinions about how loud an exhaust is, but it's far from a 10/10.

If Borla is 10/10 on the loud scale, then our exhausts would make his ears bleed. And if he heard my full ACM setup, he probably would have died
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #36
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh definitely, that's why I told the OP that he must be sensitive to loud exhausts in the first place or something is wrong because TP+Borla S type is about same as ACM mod by itself (if that). I know everyone has different opinions about how loud an exhaust is, but it's far from a 10/10.

If Borla is 10/10 on the loud scale, then our exhausts would make his ears bleed. And if he heard my full ACM setup, he probably would have died
It's definitely relative and subjective, but I've definitely had loud exhausts in the past and this one was the loudest combination I've had. It was actually embarrassing to drive around with it like that. Definitely louder than my Vantage was with high-flow cats (and later with no cats once the melted), and louder than my current GT-R with midpipe. This is my perception from within the car...people on the outside may not think it's as loud, but it was booming and rattling the whole car at times, and would echo off trees and buildings in front of me. That's strange , because the exhaust usually is focused out the back, but this seemed to be coming up through the car and even forward. Whatever the case, I took it off and went back to just test pipes.

Anyway, as far as numbers, from within the cabin I'd say a Lexus as idle is a 1, stock M3 at idle is a 2, stock M3 at low rpms is a 3 and stock M3 at WOT is a 6. Vantage with high-flow cats was a 3 at idle, at low rpms was a 5, and an 8 at WOT. The M3 with test pipes and Borla was a 5 at idle, an 8 under low rpms, and a 10 at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely relative and subjective, but I've definitely had loud exhausts in the past and this one was the loudest combination I've had. It was actually embarrassing to drive around with it like that. Definitely louder than my Vantage was with high-flow cats (and later with no cats once the melted), and louder than my current GT-R with midpipe. This is my perception from within the car...people on the outside may not think it's as loud, but it was booming and rattling the whole car at times, and would echo off trees and buildings in front of me. That's strange , because the exhaust usually is focused out the back, but this seemed to be coming up through the car and even forward. Whatever the case, I took it off and went back to just test pipes.

Anyway, as far as numbers, from within the cabin I'd say a Lexus as idle is a 1, stock M3 at idle is a 2, stock M3 at low rpms is a 3 and stock M3 at WOT is a 6. Vantage with high-flow cats was a 3 at idle, at low rpms was a 5, and an 8 at WOT. The M3 with test pipes and Borla was a 5 at idle, an 8 under low rpms, and a 10 at WOT.
Tell you what. If you want, PM me your email and I'll send you the sound clip from inside my car on that mountain run. Maybe compare it to yours and see if we are even on the same planet.

Btw, this to me would be a 10/10 (and not in a good way at all)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #38
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
That iPE sounds so awful, so unrefined as though it was coming through a soda can. The only time that sounds good is when it's under 2k rpm and slowly moving.
      08-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
That iPE sounds so awful, so unrefined as though it was coming through a soda can. The only time that sounds good is when it's under 2k rpm and slowly moving.
I don't even think it sounds good then. I agree with you, but I guess there are a few guys that think that actually sounds good. So yea, that to me is a 10/10 stupid loud setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
I don't think the Megan is an option on a convertible. I understood it didn't fit.
It does. You either modify the crossbeam or cut it off. Pretty easy work for a competent exhaust shop.

And +1 on the Megan, with TPs it definitely has that proper V8 growl but with a very mature mellow baritone added in at medium0higher rpms. Sounds amazing with the top-down, very exotic. As exotic as a crossplane V8 can be.

Most of these other exhausts that people are paying ridiculous sums of money for all sound mostly like crap to me. I think the Eisenmann sport is the only one that doesn't sound like a raspy, nasty mess. Most of the others (like the Akra) just sound like its coming out of a tin can complete with rattling rocks IMO. However, I've found that many in the BMW crowd have very different tastes for sound than the rest of the car community. They like rasp, popping, and major burbling (all indicators of a poor street exhaust design)
      08-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #41
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I have the Dinan paired with test pipes and I am very happy with the sound. Deep bass sound and zero drone on the highway. As others have said you wouldn't realized I had test pipes until you really hit the gas. Also, with test pipes on the OEM xpipe, the smell isnt bad at all, even less than my AA HFC's.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #42
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I have the Dinan paired with test pipes and I am very happy with the sound. Deep bass sound and zero drone on the highway. As others have said you wouldn't realized I had test pipes until you really hit the gas. Also, with test pipes on the OEM xpipe, the smell isnt bad at all, even less than my AA HFC's.
+1 on this setup. I have the same, although I may cutout the secondaries for a little more sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #43
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
It does. You either modify the crossbeam or cut it off. Pretty easy work for a competent exhaust shop.

And +1 on the Megan, with TPs it definitely has that proper V8 growl but with a very mature mellow baritone added in at medium0higher rpms. Sounds amazing with the top-down, very exotic. As exotic as a crossplane V8 can be.

Most of these other exhausts that people are paying ridiculous sums of money for all sound mostly like crap to me. I think the Eisenmann sport is the only one that doesn't sound like a raspy, nasty mess. Most of the others (like the Akra) just sound like its coming out of a tin can complete with rattling rocks IMO. However, I've found that many in the BMW crowd have very different tastes for sound than the rest of the car community. They like rasp, popping, and major burbling (all indicators of a poor street exhaust design)
I really have a problem with cutting off a crossbeam. Is this separate from the brace that had to be removed when they installed my Borla? I was originally going to go with the Megan until I realized it didn't fit.

And I agree with you on the other points.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #44
GTHAUS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

Appreciate 0