BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Full Inspection Report on Blown Motor

I posted pics of the installation of my new motor for my 2008 in a separate thread, last wk. I finally got the car back after 6 weeks to the day, yesterday. For those that care to read, here are the official findings, as reported on my work order/receipt (under warranty, no charge of course):

"Verified vehicle will not start. Checked battery, found to be fully charged. Sounds like starter is getting stuck. Lifted vehicle and found oil & coolant on splash panel. Found front bottom engine cover damaged and has oil & coolant. Found there to be a hole on the engine block. Performed short test, found misfire faults. Sent data and submitted a PUMA case. Was asked to drain and check oil. Drained oil, found 8 quarts. Asked to check intake filter for coolant or water in the filter. R/I filter, found no water or coolant. PUMA asked me to R/I spark plug and send pictures. Spark plug 5 is broken. PUMA asked to put borescope down cylinder 5. Found rod piston and 1 exhaust valve missing. Engine locked up due to broken rod. PUMA asked to R/I idler strip to check for metal shavings. Found no shavings, but bank 2 head is damaged. When I removed the idler strip, found another hole on the top of the block on bank 1. As per PUMA, R/R engine...."

It goes on to document the removal & replacement procedure. I earlier described my engine failure as "not so dramatic" in comparison to the other reported on here some time ago with oil all over the road. I guess not as "messy", but you can't get more dramatic than a frickin rod shooting thru the block, IMO...

Someone on here asked me for the car's production date & I'll check it later and post.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Im glad it worked out !!!
was wondering if they connected your car to the BMW server to check for a tune .any idea about that ?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Im glad it worked out !!!
was wondering if they connected your car to the BMW server to check for a tune .any idea about that ?
They didn't give me any info at all, for the first week. My guess is that they were not only diagnosing things, but also checking for evidence of mods or abuse. They have the history of the car since day 1, as the original owner bought it there, serviced it there, traded it in there, and I bought it a short while ago from them (like 600 miles ago!).

I am curious as to why they checked for oil or coolant in the intake filter. Oil? maybe, in some strange way, but coolant?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I'm sure one of the first things they checked for was an over rev.
Did they give you a reason why thus happened? Did they say anything about the bearings?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleof2bricks View Post
Someone on here asked me for the car's production date & I'll check it later and post.
That was me . Thanks. It's on the door VIN label.

Glad everything worked out for you. And yes, it'd be nice to know the actual root cause of the blow. Sounds like a rod bearing to me, but we'll see. I thought only main bearings could be defective. Hmmmm. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Broken spark plug indicates you either ran lean in the #5 cylinder, and ended up with some detonation which caused the damage, or you had a faulty spark plug that simply broke and caused the damage by getting wedged between the piston and head...something had to give, and in this case it was the rod, which broke and was forced through the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleof2bricks View Post

I am curious as to why they checked for oil or coolant in the intake filter. Oil? maybe, in some strange way, but coolant?
If you blew a gasket coolant could get into the oil. I've blown enough head gaskets on my turbo 03 Cobra to immediately recognize the symptoms...lots of white smoke and coolant in the oil.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT

Last edited by Rshane; 05-29-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That was me . Thanks. It's on the door VIN label.
Glad everything worked out for you. And yes, it'd be nice to know the actual root cause of the blow. Sounds like a rod bearing to me, but we'll see. I thought only main bearings could be defective. Hmmmm. Take care.
Just checked - the date on the door reads: 4/08...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
"It goes on to document the removal & replacement procedure."

Could you post that too?

2 holes in the block... ouch. Glad they took care of business for ya!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0