BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #23
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
The OEM muffler has four chambers total: 2 helmholtz chambers and 2 resonator/absorption chambers.

Helmholtz chambers help with drone and volume and resonator chambers help with volume and rasp.

ACM mod bypasses all four chambers. "OEM Mod" or perforated pipe mod bypasses the two resonator chambers, but leaves the two helmholtz chambers alone. See diagram from Dinan's website.
Thanks JSL, that explains it well. So rasp, drone, and loudness should be exactly the same between the ACM mod I have now and straight pipes? There isn't really any gasses escaping to the muffler itself?

Last edited by tadmcmichael; 08-22-2015 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #24
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
The OEM muffler has four chambers total: 2 helmholtz chambers and 2 resonator/absorption chambers.

Helmholtz chambers help with drone and volume and resonator chambers help with volume and rasp.

ACM mod bypasses all four chambers. "OEM Mod" or perforated pipe mod bypasses the two resonator chambers, but leaves the two helmholtz chambers alone. See diagram from Dinan's website.

Helmholtz chambers length must be tuned for the sound output. Once the muffler is modded, the factory chambers DO NOTHING AT ALL.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #25
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Helmholtz chambers length must be tuned for the sound output. Once the muffler is modded, the factory chambers DO NOTHING AT ALL.
I agree that the chamber length must be tuned to a certain frequency.

The OEM mod has stockish level of drone with an increase in volume. I think the helmholtz chambers, which are untouched in the oem mod, are still working.
Appreciate 0