BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #23
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I forgot to press the M button and some guy on a bicycle whuppped me from the stop light!!!!!!!!!!!
      11-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #24
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
Many, many reviews have covered this. All the power button does is change the throttle mapping. In other words, it pretends you're holding the pedal down farther than you really are. What changes is that in "power" mode you don't have to press the pedal as far.

I'm not trying to sound harsh - just trying to be clear. The power button absolutely does not give you more power.
Thanks. I just couldn't bring myself to 'splaining it yet again.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #25
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Button on or off you shouldn't be beaten by a minivan... to get beaten my a minivan is just so insulting!

My best advice is to firmly plant your foot away and enjoy the reserve M Power waiting to be unleashed. The M3 was derived off the F1 engine technology and i am sure it'll take a serious beating before it ever chooses to die on you.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 02:13 AM   #26
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I forgot to press the M button and some guy on a bicycle whuppped me from the stop light!!!!!!!!!!!
haha... you're funny mate! nice one! haha...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #27
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
Many, many reviews have covered this. All the power button does is change the throttle mapping. In other words, it pretends you're holding the pedal down farther than you really are. What changes is that in "power" mode you don't have to press the pedal as far.

I'm not trying to sound harsh - just trying to be clear. The power button absolutely does not give you more power.
Thanks for being clear
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #28
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
I am pretty sure the engine runs at 340hp when power is not depressed. What I am certain of is that if I press the button when I am traveling at a steady pace the car lurches forward because of the obvious boost in power.
Wow, how did you arrive at such a specific number? As others have said, that is incorrect.

There is nothing you (or the dealer for that matter since some people still think the dealer "gives" the car more power during break-in service) can do to get more peak power out of the car in stock form. It has what it has.

You are feeling a surge when you push the button because the throttle mapping is different, meaning, at a constant throttle input, the computer will tell the actuators that control the throttle valves in the engine to rotate to slightly different positions, resulting in different power output at that specific throttle pedal position. This does not change the maximum possible opening the throttle valves can attain (termed WOT), so if the pedal is floored, you'll have exactly the same amount of power regardless of the throttle setting you are using at the time.

Having said all this, people need to understand that is the steady-state response, which is what happens when you "hold" to pedal in any given position for some time, 1/2 way down, floored, etc. The tansient response could very well be different--how the throttle valve actuators behave while reaching the desired steady state position. Technically speaking, there is always some kind of delay between you pushing the pedal and the valves reaching the desired position that is indicated by your input, but that should not be noticable. However, the delay might have an intentional component (designed to slightly tone down engine responsiveness in certain modes). This is just a guess and I have no data.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #29
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

The power button is there for parts sharing and marketing. The normal setting provides the most control over the throttle travel. The sport and super sport settings are there so that the salesman can impress you with the "power" during your test drive. The sport and sport plus settings will in fact give you less control over throttle modulation.
      11-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #30
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post

LOL

Lance Amstrong perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineDriver View Post
The power button is there for parts sharing and marketing.
The sport and super sport settings are there so that the salesman can impress you with the "power" during your test drive.
Parts sharing?

I do agree its largely a marketing tool, but nevertheless I do prefer the sharper throttle response that comes with Sport Power mode. I think this is even more important with the delay in the M-DCT when taking off. I am also happy it now remembers your setting and leaves it on forever (or until you press it again) unlike it did on the E46.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #32
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Parts sharing?
Well its the same button (part) they put in the M5 & M6.
      11-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well its the same button (part) they put in the M5 & M6.
Oh. Ok, sure, that makes it a little cheaper than it would be otherwise. But it certainly doesn't make it cheaper than it would be without the feature at all. I.e. its not really a reason for the feature to exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #34
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
without power button its smoother to drive when you have passengers
turned on feels faster but is also a little jerkier

i read somewhere that its 400hp without
420with it turned on (euro spec hp)
cant remember where and probably not true
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #35
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The power button is there for parts sharing and marketing. The normal setting provides the most control over the throttle travel. The sport and super sport settings are there so that the salesman can impress you with the "power" during your test drive. The sport and sport plus settings will in fact give you less control over throttle modulation.
I use the normal setting on the track, but during daily driving throttle modulation is not a major issue. Even then, the sport plus setting is a bit too twitchy. I agree that it is mainly a marketing tool.
      11-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #36
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i read somewhere that its 400hp without
420with it turned on (euro spec hp)
cant remember where and probably not true
That is not true.
      11-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

this thread is ridiculous.

Learn how to drive or get rid of your m3.

I haven't seen a minivan run 12.7 in a while

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #38
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiebrudo View Post
So in summary:

1. I am a moron Thanks

2. Driving in the Sports mode all the time will not harm the engine (and perhaps should be called the "normal" mode)

3. Normal mode should perhaps be labeled "winter" or "low traction" mode or "when your wife takes the car" mode
See #12 above.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #39
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Sport mode just makes the throttle response sharper...almost too sharp really....

As for getting "whupped" by minivans.....that sounds like a personal problem.....my M3 DCT straight moves whenever the loud pedal drops...regardless of what buttons are pushed.....I don't know of many minivans that can run mid 12's and hit 100 in under 10 seconds....
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #40
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Ignore the -ve responses ....you are right about the normal mode... the car feels heavy and not moving. This will be the choice if you drive in a slippery day (combine it with D1) ...now if you want to feel more power you can press the power mode and even you can program the M button for the sports plus.
I was and still feel the same like you, My Vette was much quicker when I touched the gas and I feel in both my M and 335xi that there is some thing holding the car back.. Good luck
Quote:
So in summary:

1. I am a moron Thanks

2. Driving in the Sports mode all the time will not harm the engine (and perhaps should be called the "normal" mode)

3. Normal mode should perhaps be labeled "winter" or "low traction" mode or "when your wife takes the car" mode
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #41
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Stop being a pussy and learn how to drive your m3!

j/k of course
YEA!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #42
Fiebrudo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible Space Gray E93

Thanks racedoc11, atny286, 2008bimmerm3, mysticblue, nullspace, I knew there had to be some adults in the forums.

1. I forgot to mention the the manual suggest you should not floor it during the 1st 1200 miles. So many of you guys are so smart. Now please go to bed and don't forget to call mommy and daddy tomorrow to ask for more money for your next toy!

2. Mine is a DCT M3, and starting from a complete stop in normal mode is unbearable, sports mode solves the problem. Flooring it does not fix the sluggish starts on normal mode!

3. Regarding Sports plus as a marketing tool I am not so sure, as this setting can only be achieved by pressing the M button which is also the only way to get the full sports servotronic setting (as far as I am aware)

4. Perhaps the 6spd manual transmission cars respond better to the normal setting, but the DCT cars definitively not.

It is a shame to waste our time reading through 4 posts in order to find a single useful one. My sincere thanks to those of you who provided useful information to this and other threads
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #43
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks racedoc11, atny286, 2008bimmerm3, mysticblue, nullspace, I knew there had to be some adults in the forums.

1. I forgot to mention the the manual suggest you should not floor it during the 1st 1200 miles. So many of you guys are so smart. Now please go to bed and don't forget to call mommy and daddy tomorrow to ask for more money for your next toy!

2. Mine is a DCT M3, and starting from a complete stop in normal mode is unbearable, sports mode solves the problem. Flooring it does not fix the sluggish starts on normal mode!

3. Regarding Sports plus as a marketing tool I am not so sure, as this setting can only be achieved by pressing the M button which is also the only way to get the full sports servotronic setting (as far as I am aware)

4. Perhaps the 6spd manual transmission cars respond better to the normal setting, but the DCT cars definitively not.

It is a shame to waste our time reading through 4 posts in order to find a single useful one. My sincere thanks to those of you who provided useful information to this and other threads
1. dont use powerbutton then... you make your gaspedal just more agressiv and do what īs not supposed to be done... "flooring" earlier (near to).

your problem is about giving much throttle without shifting in automated mode i guess... there is the "power-button" the only solution. Otherwise you may drive in S-Modes and give 60-80% pedal to accelerate (and shift at max 5500rpm if you do the break-in), that should make you way faster than most cars without stressing the engine too much
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ironic. You are not sounding so mature here yourself Fiebrudo, just FYI.

Also, FWIW your original post did come off quite whiney and sensationalist and made you sound like a bit of a drama queen. I mean, you had to know you were going to get some harsh pushback with minivan comment. Perhaps the responses you got were merely in congruence with how you communicated your original thoughts? Those are just my impressions though. Nothing personal against you.

Quote:
As discussed in previous threads, the M button and M-Drive themselves are also largely for marketing. That is not to say that the most aggressive settings are useless, because they aren't. However, the fact that you can only access them through the magical M button is definitely a marketing move.
Appreciate 0