BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

This noise was new...

Hi guys, had the car for quite some time, experienced and to some extend appreciate all the little noises it makes.

During the week I got a new one though. Sounds like an electronic whine, like a radio interference although the HiFi is turned off. Still there with the AC off. Believe its coming from the center panel but hard to track. Only when engine on (obviously). Will try to record the noise but think it will be hard to hear through the engine noise.
As it happens I've had DCT overheat a couple of times during the week but can't imagine it has anything to do with that, doesn't sound mechanical at all.

Never read about this so guess nobody experienced the same?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi guys, had the car for quite some time, experienced and to some extend appreciate all the little noises it makes.

During the week I got a new one though. Sounds like an electronic whine, like a radio interference although the HiFi is turned off. Still there with the AC off. Believe its coming from the center panel but hard to track. Only when engine on (obviously). Will try to record the noise but think it will be hard to hear through the engine noise.
As it happens I've had DCT overheat a couple of times during the week but can't imagine it has anything to do with that, doesn't sound mechanical at all.

Never read about this so guess nobody experienced the same?

Cheers
Can you hear it in the engine bay with the hood open? Sometimes the injectors can be noisy, but usually you wouldn’t hear that in the car.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:45 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Can you hear it in the engine bay with the hood open? Sometimes the injectors can be noisy, but usually you wouldn’t hear that in the car.

Thanks!

S.
Cheers mate. No noise at all other then mentioned "whine" from inside. And all of a sudden it was gone yesterday. Nice indeed but still strange. Ah well, filed as yet another "weird M3 noise" I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've had that sort of radio whine in my last M3. I could never track it down. "Hitting" the Nav bump would make it momentarily go away, so I knew it was a rattle in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

I hear that radio whine/squeal every once in a while when I use my phone to play podcasts in the car via Aux plug. I would just unplug the phone then plug it back it and the noise would stop. It happened more often with my wife's later mode iPhone. That's the only time I've ever heard that noise in this car and it came from the speakers.

Did you check your power steering fluid level?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
I hear that radio whine/squeal every once in a while when I use my phone to play podcasts in the car via Aux plug. I would just unplug the phone then plug it back it and the noise would stop. It happened more often with my wife's later mode iPhone. That's the only time I've ever heard that noise in this car and it came from the speakers.

Did you check your power steering fluid level?
PS fluid ok, and it wasn't that kind of whine really. Strange but anyhow seems to be gone for now.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Why do you think your DCT overheated? Is the pan weeping? I'd top off the DCT fluid to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Why do you think your DCT overheated? Is the pan weeping? I'd top off the DCT fluid to be safe.
I don't think it is to be honest. I had the code coming up a few times over the last couple of years just to go away. Had my box changed 28k miles ago, tiny fluid sipping so simply can't believe its over heating. Typically slow drive, stop and go seems to trigger it like for some other people. After a proper wringing out drive last time it seemed to stabilize. Guess these cars need to be driven...

Edit: i.e. I got the DCT over heated error coming up on the dash as well as reading/clearing that code with the scanner.
Appreciate 0