BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

08-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Jaguar F Type S AWD

Hello my good friends at M3Post,

To start off, this is not a "What do you think about this car" thread.

I switched away from BMW when my E92 M3s lease ended and got into a 2016 F Type S AWD for my new daily. Needless to say, I love the car. It was always a dream car of mine and I was blessed to have the opportunity to get one.

Unfortunately, the jaguar forums are not as active as this one; in fact, they barely have a pulse (some Doctor humor from a doctor ) So my question was for the F Type owners currently in this forum.. What kinds of mods have you done to your F type?

I realize it's probably weird to ask about another car besides the M3 on an M3 forum but seeing as how this community was awesome in helping me out with my M3, I trust you guys more than anyone else.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Didn't even know there was an AWD version. Definitely makes the car more desirable for a new englander. Normal and S are the same motor if I recall, probably just more boost. Umm maybe more more boosterer? From what I remember, the S was the one to go with! Good choice and congrats! (though my post is in no way helpful haha). Sexy car!

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I imagine the best mod for the car is getting a Type R.

I think that car is perfect for what it is. Why mod?
      08-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You got rid of your M3?
Excommunicated!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
Didn't even know there was an AWD version. Definitely makes the car more desirable for a new englander. Normal and S are the same motor if I recall, probably just more boost. Umm maybe more more boosterer? From what I remember, the S was the one to go with! Good choice and congrats! (though my post is in no way helpful haha). Sexy car!

AWD became available starting in 2016 I believe. From what I read, the higher output versions desperately needed it.

The S is the sweet spot -- plenty of power to be fast but not enough to just be a burnout machine.
      08-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
AWD became available starting in 2016 I believe. From what I read, the higher output versions desperately needed it.

The S is the sweet spot -- plenty of power to be fast but not enough to just be a burnout machine.
Yeah I heard at first the v8 was just worthlessly tail-happy

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha thanks! Yeah I needed an AWD car for my DD cause I can't use snow as an excuse to miss work anymore so another M wasn't gonna really do it for me. Yeah its the same motor but the S is rated at 40 more horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I imagine the best mod for the car is getting a Type R.

I think that car is perfect for what it is. Why mod?
I didn't even look at the R to be honest. The S was in the perfect price range and power range for me, considering I am stuck in traffic about 90% of the time during my daily commute, it wasn't worth the extra money for the power.

While I agree the car is perfect, I was thinking more towards exterior/cosmetic upgrades versus engine. Im so used to being able to mod every inch and corner of an M3, it feels weird to suddenly have something thats not as "modifiable" haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
You got rid of your M3?
Excommunicated!!
"Got rid of" is a strange phrase, I prefer "My lease ended so it was taken away from me" lol. I miss it so much but my needs changed and I couldnt justify keeping it anymore =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post

I agree 100%. Maybe in the future Ill upgrade to the R (or SVR) when my commute isn't bumper to bumper traffic 90% of the time but the S is definitely the sweet spot. I can instill some fear into me (and smiles) with the power and sudden accelerations and the exhaust note is just beautiful, never thought id own a car that sounded better than my E92 M3.

Quote:
Im sure the AWD definitely helped straighten that out.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
No true my friend. I have an F-Type V8 S. It's a 2015 RWD car. AWD came to North America in 2016. All V8's are now exclusively AWD in North America - I bet American lawyers started wrapping themselves around lamp-posts not realizing the purpose of accelerators. One can still buy pure RWD V8 cars in the rest of the world. Canadians have suffered because of American lawyers!!

First thing you do - toss the factory Pirelli tires.

Second thing you do - put on Michelin PSS tires.

Third thing you do - realize that an accelerator is not an on-off switch.

I love my V8 S. It's a keeper. I will not be selling it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
No true my friend. I have an F-Type V8 S. It's a 2015 RWD car. AWD came to North America in 2016. All V8's are now exclusively AWD in North America - I bet American lawyers started wrapping themselves around lamp-posts not realizing the purpose of accelerators. One can still buy pure RWD V8 cars in the rest of the world. Canadians have suffered because of American lawyers!!

First thing you do - toss the factory Pirelli tires.

Second thing you do - put on Michelin PSS tires.

Third thing you do - realize that an accelerator is not an on-off switch.

I love my V8 S. It's a keeper. I will not be selling it.
Never driven one. Just heard the balance wasn't great, but we also assume that most people who buy performance cars aren't good drivers (more money than brains). The majority expect to mash the pedal and go fast. Why 911s all end up backwards in trees.

Good to see someone with a head on their shoulders

You do anything else? How does the front grip under proper approach? What's the power curve feel like? Yes throttle control, but pedal feel and how it puts down the power is very important. I'd love to get my hands on one of these eventually. Honestly I see it as art and a cruiser more than a track car.

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

I have never driven mine on the track - but Chris Harris says it's not as good as a 911 on the track. I have no trouble believing him - but he has only driven it on Pirelli P-Zeros.

I have driven it on Mountain roads and switchbacks. I can tell you that the OEM Pirelli tires are absolute rubbish. I drove Beartooth Pass (out in Wyoming / Montana) on the Pirelli P-Zero as well as Michelin PSS tires. The difference was night and day for me. On the Pirellis the front end was squirmy under braking. I also had to be very careful accelerating out of a 180 degree switchback because the rear end would just want to brake loose and traction control came on a few times - I always keep traction control on when on public roads. I may have been above the speed limit. That was last year.

This year I had Michelin PSS tires on. The front did not squirm on braking and I could get on the throttle earlier than I could on the Pirellis. The traction control did not intervene even once. Once again, I may have been above the speed limit.

In Colorado I found a nice pass heading towards I-70. There were 2 lanes heading up. It was a weekday and there was no traffic. I stayed on my side but did change lanes so that I could fully use the 2 lanes heading in my direction. There was really no problem.

I would like to see someone who knows how to drive (I am okay but not great) try the RWD V8 on Pirellis vs. Michelins. I think it may not beat a 911 but will come much closer. The Pirelli P-Zeros are horrible tires in my opinion.

The accelerator is linear without any surprises. I had it up to about 3,500 metres (around 12,000 feet) and the Supercharger did not allow me to notice any significant drop in acceleration due to altitude. I find the car to be quite predictable.

I also find it to be very comfortable as a GT car. The drive out to Wyoming from Ontario is almost 2,800 km (around 1,750 miles) one way. I was not sore and drove back in 2 days. The only tricky issue was luggage space in the convertible!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Almost all reviews are done with stock tires. This does skew things.

I believe I saw a Z28 v GTR comparison and the Z28 beat it, barely, but with Street/Track tires (Trofeo Rs I believe) vs the GTRs stock street kicks. The Z28 might have still beaten it on a track, but the tires were on completely different levels, so it wasn't fair.

Thanks for the review!

OP - tires! haha ZEEM3R

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523
Almost all reviews are done with stock tires. This does skew things.

I believe I saw a Z28 v GTR comparison and the Z28 beat it, barely, but with Street/Track tires (Trofeo Rs I believe) vs the GTRs stock street kicks. The Z28 might have still beaten it on a track, but the tires were on completely different levels, so it wasn't fair.

Thanks for the review!

OP - tires! haha ZEEM3R
Haha I was gonna get new tires anyway cause I'm getting 20in rims. I don't plan on ever tracking the car so I'm not too keen on getting high performance tires. Any tires you recommend in particular?
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #13
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
Haha I was gonna get new tires anyway cause I'm getting 20in rims. I don't plan on ever tracking the car so I'm not too keen on getting high performance tires. Any tires you recommend in particular?
Oh boy. That's a whole 'nother thread haha

If you are going to do snows + summers, I run PSS (non-runflat) on all of my cars (Connecticut). Wife always gets excited when it's time to put sticky tires on haha.

I've gotten other tires when purchasing a car and they go ASAP. There are grippier tires, but the PSS perform admirably in rain and sun, give good feedback, etc. Can't go wrong with them as a daily. I've considered RE-71a for a summer for next year, but that's up in the air.

I run winter alpin, but the wife runs blizzaks. With AWD I've never had a problem with either. The stock E92 328xi tires were fine in the snow too though. My 328 beats her Subaru outback with stock tires (work vehicle) in the snow.

Even on a lease I eat tires too fast, so I was paying more for the garbage that BMW was giving me stock than high perf + snow tires. Saved me like ~$250/set and got better tires.

2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
I would suggest getting the best tires possible. The 2 most important parts of a car are the tires and the brakes. The tires are the only part that actually touch the road.

You should see tire rack reviews and then make your decision. Only you can tell me if you want summer tires, 'all' season tires, or winter tires. All weather tires are an option but do not come in 255/35/20 or 295/30/20 which is what you will need with the 20 inch rims.

I have heard good things about POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION - but they are not that much cheaper than the Michelin PSS. The Jaguar forums also mention ECSTA PS91 as an option.

There is the option of getting Conti DWS - these are all season.

I was not concerned with winter performance with my F-Type because I drive a Range Rover Sport V8 Dynamic with BFGoodrich T/A KO2 when old man winter shows up.
Appreciate 0