BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #199
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
Wow, I just read through this thread. This should be required reading for HPDE instructors and put in a classroom for students. Simply a great thread all around and no disrespect to the original post, but this thread is textbook on a novice driver chasing lap times, via car mods. Pheew, it got better and better, people getting pissed off, suggestions asked for and good feedback given and promptly ignored. ....

best regards,

Michael
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #200
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
Quote:
Wow, I just read through this thread. This should be required reading for HPDE instructors and put in a classroom for students. Simply a great thread all around and no disrespect to the original post, but this thread is textbook on a novice driver chasing lap times, via car mods. Pheew, it got better and better, people getting pissed off, suggestions asked for and good feedback given and promptly ignored. ....

best regards,

Michael
Well said.
it is interesting to see how much one is been criticized for documenting their experience, but no one is noticing an improvement from 43mph on turn 18 to 52mph which is 20% faster on one turn along.

Besides that, when there was a practical and actionable suggestion, i tried it and if it was better i thanked the suggester. Turn the power off was one suggestion and steering wheel on normal was another.

I also hired a professional instructor for one day, and wrote that it was very helpful.

I like lap times because "feelings" at times can be misleading. my goal was to go faster, not win a "feelings" competition.

This was a good year. I learned the car much better by turning off the traction control. I experimented with various suspension settings and learned the differences between soft and stiff. I can tell a difference between minute adjustments on the 4-way JRZ system.

While I was not able to get to my goal of 1:36.xx, I got to 1:37.5 and perhaps that is good enough for this year.

Compares to last year, I consitantly moved my lap time from 1:41-1:43 to 1:37.xx in slicks and 1:38-1:39 for R888R/ADO8R tires.

I enjoyed my car immensly during this 20 track day season. I now have 40 trackdays in 2 years and it added joy to my non-working life.

I love my car and all its modifications. I also like to get in and go for coffee. It makes my day to just turn it on and drive 40 mph to the near park for my 60 minute walk/run.

I have one last track day this Sat. Open track day but the forecast is rain. If rain, I will use my PS4S road tires. if it changed to dry, will use my RR set.

All the best and many thanks for anyone who bother to read my posts and especially to all who bother to comment.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #201
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a good lap at 1:38.109

while not my fastest lap, it shows well my 2018 improvements on the second part of the track.

Notice the two slow turns with 41 and 43, those used to be in the high 30s

Turn 18 at 52 is truly my biggest accomplishment as it was required to trust the car. The improvements from 43/45 to 52 was an exercise in systematic thinking, suspension tweaking, turning traction control off, and car positioning.

i literarily improved 2mph at a time throughout the summer.

I loved every minute of it.

Attached is also my best lap at 1:37.5
as you can see, turn 18 was at 48.5mph.

so my goal for 2019 would be to work on consistency. adding all my best turns together into one lap, will surely get me to 1:36.x
Attached Images

Last edited by rhyary; 10-11-2018 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #202
m13s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Tip of the cap to you for posting in a public forum, it takes balls to open oneself on a forum like this. Did not mean to be disrespectful, I have a lot of experience in working with clients to better their driving on track. Your experiences are not different than most people I meet and with a plan that is put together with the client I can usually get them to
become a better driver. That is all. If you feel the plan you have been working with is good for you, great stick with it. I would recommend another approach than the one you are currently executing.

Either way you are having fun on track and enjoying your car while in a proper track setting. That is what matters most.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
kyippee1072.00
      10-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #203
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tip of the cap to you for posting in a public forum, it takes balls to open oneself on a forum like this. Did not mean to be disrespectful, I have a lot of experience in working with clients to better their driving on track. Your experiences are not different than most people I meet and with a plan that is put together with the client I can usually get them to
become a better driver. That is all. If you feel the plan you have been working with is good for you, great stick with it. I would recommend another approach than the one you are currently executing.

Either way you are having fun on track and enjoying your car while in a proper track setting. That is what matters most.
My plan is almost always to learn 75% on my on, then work with a professional to get the next 25% while fully realizing that I would never get to 100%.

This approach allowed me to afford an M3, so i guess I am stuck with it :-)

Thank you for reading and commenting.

You have an open invitation to come and coach me to go faster.

That goes to anyone actually.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #204
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[Last Update]
I think everyone is tired if this thread
So it is about time to close it up.

Today was my last 2018 track day. Unless miracle happens , and global warming will keep either Lime Rock or NYST open in Oct.

It was a raining day and only few of us showed up for an open track day. No sessions. Just drive. In the rain. All day.

So on to the stats:
NYST
Length – 2.1 miles
Turns – 18
Elevation Change – 450 feet
Hills/Drops – 7

Today I did 77 laps, 162 miles. about 18 gallons of 93 gas.

Lap time ranged from 2:10 early on to mostly 1:55 in pouring rain.

I kept the MDM on. My goal was to go as fast as I can without activating the traction control. The challenge was that going in the rain every lap is different. The rain is not coming down uniformly and NYST has very good drainage. This is why EVERY turn is either on camber or off camber depends on where you are on the turn. So water pools in different places and depending on how hard it happen to rain that 2 minutes.

I loved the uninterrupted concentration. The 15/20 minutes sessions are just too short for getting in the groove.

Toward the end, we got some break from the constant rain, so while the track was not dry, at least it was drained.

Yes, there was suspension tweak, or should I say, luck of tweaks (almost)

I have heard that in the rain you want softer suspension. So I left the road settings along. I typically adjust the rear and front one shaft click stiffer.

Well, as I said we got a break from the constant rain and i started to go faster and the car did not feel right. I stopped at pit lane and clicked the rear one shaft stiffer. I left the front along.

So much better. I wish I just did it from the beginning.

Attached is my last 30 minutes. It started to rain again but once I was on 1:55 pace, I did not want to go back to 2:00 pace. The adjusted rear was the key to feel confident.
pic of Times and the E46 i became friendly with.
Please note the blue skies. We have just came back from refueling and got a sunny skies for 5 minutes before the next band of clouds and rain started again.
And one more time, thanks for all who bother to read, made suggestions, schooled me on my lunacy, called me typical new driver, hated my modification choices, and made suggestion that I should have gotten X and not Y. I sincerely appreciate all the comments. This is why we have so many flavors of ice cream. So we can select the exact flavor we prefer, AND we can pontificate why our flavor is the best and the other flavor is just NOT the right choice. :-)
As for me, I just like plain Vanilla.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gmx166.00