BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

08-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I have been facing some oversteer issues recently that I think might be related to aging rear suspension bits. Has anyone noticed this on their aging track cars?

My situation is as follows.
2009 with 75k miles.
Lots of track miles
I am experiencing mid corner to exit oversteer that I didn't have in the past. My general setup hasn't changed (alignment, tire pressures, spring rates all have been optimized based on tire temps and pressures).

Three years ago I added solid subframe, differential, and the below rear camber arm bearings from bimmerworld.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...aring-Kit.html

Are there any other bushings in the rear of the car to check? Everything looks good visually but the car just doesn't feel stable in the rear.

Bimmerworld also has these bushings that I might try.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...ing-Set_2.html

Comments and thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

There's also the "camber arm" bearing set...

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...aring-Kit.html

I don't have enough track miles to see where things are wearing out. My engine and electronics seem to all be going Bosch on me much more quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've been pondering the same thing myself. Not necessarily dealing with an undesired effect here, but wondering how often I should have the alignment checked... there's some frustrating discussion from time to time, but nobody has come up with a track service interval for these suspension bushings.
      08-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
There's also the "camber arm" bearing set...

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...aring-Kit.html

I don't have enough track miles to see where things are wearing out. My engine and electronics seem to all be going Bosch on me much more quickly.
Yep, I did those as a "while I'm in there" during the subframe bushing install.

The trailing link bushings were in good shape at the time (and didn't have any labor savings with the subframe) so I left them in.

I called bimmerworld today and it sounds like the symptoms I'm having are related to the the trailing link bushings.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I've been pondering the same thing myself. Not necessarily dealing with an undesired effect here, but wondering how often I should have the alignment checked... there's some frustrating discussion from time to time, but nobody has come up with a track service interval for these suspension bushings.

My race shop and the dealer's Corvette tech have suggested checking it once a year, especially if you are the kind of person who uses all of the curbing and hits the apex curbs.
      08-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

My race shop and the dealer's Corvette tech have suggested checking it once a year, especially if you are the kind of person who uses all of the curbing and hits the apex curbs.
I check my toe quite frequently with longacre toe plates. My alignment really doesn't change over time. Been lucky perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I check my toe quite frequently with longacre toe plates. My alignment really doesn't change over time. Been lucky perhaps.
Interesting, I've never heard of toe plates. I saw the instructions on longacre's website, but I don't 100% understand. What are you measuring to on the back side?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Interesting, I've never heard of toe plates. I saw the instructions on longacre's website, but I don't 100% understand. What are you measuring to on the back side?
Toe plates are really only useful on front wheels. You can measure toe on rears with plates but you could get zero toe measurement with one size toe in and the other side toe out.
Appreciate 1
M3MPH1S592.00