BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #133
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

is this knob that much better?

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #134
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
is this knob that much better?
Surprisingly, yes. If you're skeptical like how I was, just buy the knob and run it for a week. Its not very expensive and if you don't like it just take it off and sell it.
      12-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #135
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I just finished this install and boy was it worth it. Looks great and feels way better.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #136
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I don't think it's ever really clear what tools you need to get the whole job done right. To set it straight IMO, it is:

Dremel tool (standard version) with some basic bits.
AND
Hand Drill (medium power) with a drill bit at least as long at the length of the ZHP. Bit -tip size see picture in thread for the hole you're punching through from the bottom

The Dremel
is needed clean up the space under ZHP emblem upon removal (rubbery area) to fit flush the LED housing. Plus, some light work to cut through the Stock Knob to cleanly get to the LED housing etc.

The Hand Drill is definitely needed to cleanly drill (length wise) through the edge of the ZHP knob-making sure it's straight shot from the bottom of the knob (see picture below), to the top.

NOTE: there isn't some metal plate you hit in the knob. Someone on here claimed they hit some metal plate, but it's purely resin / plastic, so the drill will work without any issues. Just take your time and gauge the right line through the knob.

Still working on this one...will post results afterwards...just some tips I thought I'd share.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #137
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
I don't think it's ever really clear what tools you need to get the whole job done right. To set it straight IMO, it is:

Dremel tool (standard version) with some basic bits.
AND
Hand Drill (medium power) with a drill bit at least as long at the length of the ZHP. Bit -tip size see picture in thread for the hole you're punching through from the bottom

The Dremel
is needed clean up the space under ZHP emblem upon removal (rubbery area) to fit flush the LED housing. Plus, some light work to cut through the Stock Knob to cleanly get to the LED housing etc.

The Hand Drill is definitely needed to cleanly drill (length wise) through the edge of the ZHP knob-making sure it's straight shot from the bottom of the knob (see picture below), to the top.

NOTE: there isn't some metal plate you hit in the knob. Someone on here claimed they hit some metal plate, but it's purely resin / plastic, so the drill will work without any issues. Just take your time and gauge the right line through the knob.

Still working on this one...will post results afterwards...just some tips I thought I'd share.
Thanks, I was just looking for what tools to get.

Can you be so kind to elaborate on what basic bits are for the dremel and drill? pictures will absolutely help
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #138
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
Thanks, I was just looking for what tools to get.

Can you be so kind to elaborate on what basic bits are for the dremel and drill? pictures will absolutely help
Yeah, it's a passion project which I'm kind of taking my time with. It's just never a good time to sit down and just get it done. Will post picts when I can.

Bits -
Dremel (mini spiral bit that's great for precision cleaning, clearing)
Drill (standard drill bit, long enough, spiral, and not too large diameter - drill slow as plastic will heat up naturally and it will be more controlled)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #139
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

After studying and organizing the info from the DIY post I finally had the courage to jump into this project. Thanks to those who had spend their time to help me, including OP, elp_jc, SROC5...etc, well basically every member who posted in this thread.

And the details of it have already been elaborate many times, I followed the combination of OP, elp_jc (brilliant idea for the shift boot by the way, although I put too many layers of tape so the leather is fatter below the knob ring, it's ok to me thou ) and mtl88's instructions.

So just some reminders for whoever still want to give it a try:

1. When Dremel, I used the bit #401 for breaking the ZHP cap/shift pattern; #932 for lowering the center protrusion below the ZHP cap; and #953 or #84922 for detail fixing

2. Do not forget to put masking tape around the ZHP knob when Dremeling; although light scratch on the leather could be covered by Sharpie

3. Do wear goggles and mask when Dremeling, a simple eye glasses could do 80% of the protection but you are responsible for the other 20%...

4. when drilling hole for the LED wires inside ZHP, drill slowly, hold on to the ZHP knob tight, once the drill goes deep enough into the knob it will grab onto it well but still take your time. Beginning is the hardest, make sure that the drill is straight down

That's about all, and I include some pictures for the result. The illumination is not very evenly distributed maybe per elp_jc's standard so please go easy on me, lol. But to me this is already a very successful DIY and boy I love the look and functionality of the $70 I spent. Recommend!

Apology for the insufficient lighting

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #140
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Nice. I knew you could do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #141
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Great job and I think it looks good! Question, you say that the lighting is uneven, but given it's from the OEM knob LED/Emblem, it's any more uneven than stock knob right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
After studying and organizing the info from the DIY post I finally had the courage to jump into this project. Thanks to those who had spend their time to help me, including OP, elp_jc, SROC5...etc, well basically every member who posted in this thread.

And the details of it have already been elaborate many times, I followed the combination of OP, elp_jc (brilliant idea for the shift boot by the way, although I put too many layers of tape so the leather is fatter below the knob ring, it's ok to me thou ) and mtl88's instructions.

So just some reminders for whoever still want to give it a try:

1. When Dremel, I used the bit #401 for breaking the ZHP cap/shift pattern; #932 for lowering the center protrusion below the ZHP cap; and #953 or #84922 for detail fixing

2. Do not forget to put masking tape around the ZHP knob when Dremeling; although light scratch on the leather could be covered by Sharpie

3. Do wear goggles and mask when Dremeling, a simple eye glasses could do 80% of the protection but you are responsible for the other 20%...

4. when drilling hole for the LED wires inside ZHP, drill slowly, hold on to the ZHP knob tight, once the drill goes deep enough into the knob it will grab onto it well but still take your time. Beginning is the hardest, make sure that the drill is straight down

That's about all, and I include some pictures for the result. The illumination is not very evenly distributed maybe per elp_jc's standard so please go easy on me, lol. But to me this is already a very successful DIY and boy I love the look and functionality of the $70 I spent. Recommend!

Apology for the insufficient lighting

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #142
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
No, not at all. Consider driving someone's car with this done before butchering your own. There is nothing wrong with the original shifter.
I will have to disagree with you there. I think the ZHP knob is 10x better than the stock one. The shorter stature and weighted feel give the entire act of shifting a much solid, better feeling imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #143
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Nice. I knew you could do it.
Thank you, I was only going to butcher the OEM knob that night but ended up finishing the whole thing...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Great job and I think it looks good! Question, you say that the lighting is uneven, but given it's from the OEM knob LED/Emblem, it's any more uneven than stock knob right?
Well it is uneven because the 2 wires behind the LED board was placed awkwardly and take away some space below the ZHP shift pattern. I think it is because the hole I drilled was not delicately located at the right spot the feed the wire straight down the knob to the connector. Well another hold could be drilled and this could be solved but I am fine with the light coming out from it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
No, not at all. Consider driving someone's car with this done before butchering your own. There is nothing wrong with the original shifter.
Not because I did this DIY so I have bias. I would not say how much better ZHP is but I do want to complaint about the OEM goose neck knob. It is long and hollow plastic. Hard to describe but shifting with the OEM knob I always have this "unfulfilled" touch IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #144
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

half way through this and taking a break it's definitely a bear to get this done. Patience is the name of the game here...by in the meantime this perf. shifter from my 335i is actually feeling pretty damn good with the UUC SSK!Name:  2012-01-07 20.07.37.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  31.2 KB

Last edited by S65V8; 01-08-2012 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #145
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Well I did it cut the stock boot off and did the custom ZHP lighted knob, pretty easy with the right tools and some patience. Anyway pretty happy with the turnout, only issue I had was I nicked a small portion of the outside edge of the ZHP with the dremmel but it's not that notable. I must say that for an M3; BMW should have done better with the shifter, the ZHP is soooooooooo much better. For those of you still on the fence about doing the swap, go for it.
      01-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #146
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
Well I did it cut the stock boot off and did the custom ZHP lighted knob, pretty easy with the right tools and some patience. Anyway pretty happy with the turnout, only issue I had was I nicked a small portion of the outside edge of the ZHP with the dremmel but it's not that notable. I must say that for an M3; BMW should have done better with the shifter, the ZHP is soooooooooo much better. For those of you still on the fence about doing the swap, go for it.
Congrats on getting it done!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #147
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

not to hi jack the thread but has anybody bought one of these pre-done ones off ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-ZHP-Le...item2a177dd077

seems like a more direct plug and play to me
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #148
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR View Post
not to hi jack the thread but has anybody bought one of these pre-done ones off ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-ZHP-Le...item2a177dd077

seems like a more direct plug and play to me
Another user already posted about this in a different thread. He said he was happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #149
IntegraXTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY08 E92 M3 and MY15 F80 M3

Quote:
Another user already posted about this in a different thread. He said he was happy with it.

time to cut the stock shift boot
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #150
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
I heard that the "weight" of the knob is not there. Maybe its a lighter (manufactured elsewhere) type of replica?
      01-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #151
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Well, after spending about 7 hours on my DIY illuminated ZHP knob, I finally got it to my satisfaction. Like with doing any job for the first time, I spent a bit of time figuring out the best methods for doing certain steps.

I took my time removing material from the ZHP knob since I didn't want to accidentally damage it. I wanted to minimize the material removed because I wanted to retain as much of the knob's weight as possible.

It took some time to get the alignment of the shift pattern right and sit flush with the top of the knob. It took me about 6 or 7 tries before I finally got it right.

Knowing what I know now about what was involved on this job, I'd probably just buy that ebay knob for $120 if I were to do this again. I'm willing to pay someone who's had experience building a few of these knobs, assuming his workmanship is good. I know when I do custom jobs like this, the second or third ones usually come out better than the first.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #152
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Bam! Finally got time to sit down, drill holes, plan out the fitment and materials. As many have said, "patience" is the name of the game. Take your time and you can do this. However, make sure you have the right tools, materials, all together before you jump in my friend

VERDICT: worth the part cost, my own labor, and some anxiety Did this in phases so I didn't feel like it took a lot time...

I was lucky I got to borrow tools, so my cost to build was just the part!

Last edited by S65V8; 01-14-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #153
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Re

Does the stock E46 M3 iluminated knob have 6 leds inside??
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #154
Robmaster
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i

what size is the hole for the cabels which i must drill into the ZHP knob? and where is the best place for the hole? on 6 oclock?

Last edited by Robmaster; 01-30-2012 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0