BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

12-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
jumpman86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw M3

Just bought an M3, question on registration in NJ

Hi All,

I just bought an 08 E90 M3 from PA and I live in NJ through a private sale. I have a question for those of you who have been through this situation.

I had to take out a loan to pay the seller and he currently has a loan on it.

He will be paying off his loan Monday but in this situation, I was wondering what I would need to register the car in NJ.

My understanding is that the Loan Release and the title will be going to my bank (Pen Fed Credit Union) directly from the seller's bank (Wells Fargo Dealer Services).

Do I wait for my bank to send these 2 documents to me before I can go register or do I ask the seller to instruct his bank differently.

I think it will take couple weeks at the minimum before I can go register.

Was wondering if anyone had to take out a loan to pay off an existing loan to purchase a vehicle from a private seller.

I will try to call NJ DMV as well but probably be on hold for 2 hours before someone will talk to me, lol...

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
evilpinkeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

I want to say you need to make sure the seller takes care of that lien asap and make sure to have the bank get all info from the other bank once done. your new bank may need to fax a copy of the title, with your and bank name on it, to the DMV directly to prove registration is kept accurate.

Honestly, unless this E90 is the best you could find and you got a stupid deal, I would just walk away. liens are a headache and when multiplied by 2 banks...ughh
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

OP, the fact you're working with Penfed is a huge advantage, they are hands down one of the best if not the best bank I've worked with. They are very patient with the title and very helpful if you are unsure of what to do.

What you need from the seller is the title and the original copy of the lien release. The lien release will be in the form of a letter or will be signed on the title, depending on the state/title. The bank will typically send it to the owner of the car/seller once it's paid off. Once you have that you go to the NJ DMV with the title and lien release and transfer the title in your name. You will then pay NJ taxes on the car, registration and the title fee. You will put penfed as your lienholder on the title and the NJ DMV will mail the title to penfed (ask for a photocopy of the title for your records).

I advised a friend on this who bought a car from the dealer and also took a loan through penfed, the dealer sent the title to penfed and it delayed everything, because then they had to send the title back to my friend, so he can go to the DMV and do what I just told you above.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask/PM, I've dealt with the NJ MVC often through the years so I'm familiar with the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
I want to say you need to make sure the seller takes care of that lien asap and make sure to have the bank get all info from the other bank once done. your new bank may need to fax a copy of the title, with your and bank name on it, to the DMV directly to prove registration is kept accurate.

Honestly, unless this E90 is the best you could find and you got a stupid deal, I would just walk away. liens are a headache and when multiplied by 2 banks...ughh
Passing on a car because of a lien is foolish. I've had a car I was buying with a lien, purchased from someone with a power of attorney (seller was in the military), I was taking a loan and I still managed to work it out without issue the first go around. Just make sure all your paper work is in a row and its effortless.
      12-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
jumpman86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I think Penfed required me to complete a form and submit to the seller's bank where it asked the seller's bank to send the lien release and the title over to Pen Fed directly. I think in my case, it may be delayed because of that form. I will try to ask if the seller can instruct his bank to send over the title and original lien release directly to me instead.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
OP, the fact you're working with Penfed is a huge advantage, they are hands down one of the best if not the best bank I've worked with. They are very patient with the title and very helpful if you are unsure of what to do.

What you need from the seller is the title and the original copy of the lien release. The lien release will be in the form of a letter or will be signed on the title, depending on the state/title. The bank will typically send it to the owner of the car/seller once it's paid off. Once you have that you go to the NJ DMV with the title and lien release and transfer the title in your name. You will then pay NJ taxes on the car, registration and the title fee. You will put penfed as your lienholder on the title and the NJ DMV will mail the title to penfed (ask for a photocopy of the title for your records).

I advised a friend on this who bought a car from the dealer and also took a loan through penfed, the dealer sent the title to penfed and it delayed everything, because then they had to send the title back to my friend, so he can go to the DMV and do what I just told you above.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask/PM, I've dealt with the NJ MVC often through the years so I'm familiar with the process.

Passing on a car because of a lien is foolish. I've had a car I was buying with a lien, purchased from someone with a power of attorney (seller was in the military), I was taking a loan and I still managed to work it out without issue the first go around. Just make sure all your paper work is in a row and its effortless.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
This doesn't help the OP but I'm curious... when buying a car with a lien, is simply giving the seller a check or cash the safest way to go about doing this??

I'd be nervous that money would never make it to the bank. When I bought my M3 a couple months ago I handed the reputable dealership a check and I didn't get the title for three weeks and I was nervous the whole time haha.

I guess I have no faith in people.
      12-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
jumpman86
First Lieutenant
Rep

In my case, the check was made out to the seller's bank and not to the seller directly. I may experience the same time frame.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      12-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
328i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
This doesn't help the OP but I'm curious... when buying a car with a lien, is simply giving the seller a check or cash the safest way to go about doing this??

I'd be nervous that money would never make it to the bank. When I bought my M3 a couple months ago I handed the reputable dealership a check and I didn't get the title for three weeks and I was nervous the whole time haha.

I guess I have no faith in people.
That's where private sales get tricky but to protect yourself get a written contract/bill of sale and notarize it prior to payment, writing out everything and making it as detailed as possible.

IE. "I CJM41 am purchasing a 2009 M3 Vin# xxx from the seller John Doe for the sum of $20,000. Payment shall be in the form of a certified check made payable to xxx Bank in the amount of $15k. The balance payment will be made in the form of a certified check in the amount of $5k payable to John Doe. John Doe shall receive balance check in exchange for the the lien free title and lien release. Etc. "

Always make the check out to the bank not the seller. With transactions it's all about being transparent and making sure to cover all your bases.

Also, many times arrangements can be made to have the title available at a local branch where you and the seller can meet to exchange funds and for you to immediately receive the lien free title.
      12-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
328i
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman86 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think Penfed required me to complete a form and submit to the seller's bank where it asked the seller's bank to send the lien release and the title over to Pen Fed directly. I think in my case, it may be delayed because of that form. I will try to ask if the seller can instruct his bank to send over the title and original lien release directly to me instead.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
Yeah with the seller having a lien it can extend things if Penfed wants to receive the title. Also bank policies can change over time so it may be different now than it was 3-5 years ago. If penfed asked the bank to send the lien release to them then I would just have them do that. Don't go and ask his bank to do otherwise as it may seem shady to them, instead contact Penfed and ask them how it will work because I highly doubt they will be able to title the car in your name (unless you filled out a power of attorney form and they have agents in NJ which is unlikely).
      12-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

All you need is the title which shows the lien and a lien release, if you took a loan to purchase the car you have to let your dmv know of the lienholder.
Appreciate 0